M50 S/N Question

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 StrangeRanger

StrangeRanger

• Regular Group
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 09:06 PM

In all of the postings I've read here the M50s have numeric values only in the S/Ns.  Mine is S48XX.  What if anything does that number indicate about the origin/history of my gun?

#2 fifthmdec

fifthmdec

• Regular Group
  • 215 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 12:25 AM

Numrich Arms Gun...

Edited by fifthmdec, 19 December 2017 - 12:26 AM.

#3 taeelec

taeelec

• Regular Group
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:WW2 small arms

Posted 19 December 2017 - 08:47 AM

Your M50 was made in 1957. This is the last known year of production. A total of 907 M50's were made in 1957 ( serial numbers S4700- S5607). Many of the S prefix serial number M50's were sold thru Numrich Arms when H&R went out of business. I suggest you buy Frank Iannamico's excellent book UNITED STATES SUBMACHINE GUNS for more info on the Reising submachine gun and other WW2-post war US SMG's. Todd in Oregon

#4 fifthmdec

fifthmdec

• Regular Group
  • 215 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 12:06 PM

In addition, Frank has a book dedicated to the Reising submachinegun and the semi automatic models.

Title of the book is: “The Reising Submachinegun Story.”

Not sure if it is still available.

Purchased it from Frank years ago at a Thompson collectors event...

Fun guns...

#5 Black River Militaria CII

Black River Militaria CII

Industry Expert

• Regular Group
  • 675 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 02:15 PM

The Numrich ‘S’ prefix numbers seem to be all military model repros built on commercial model numbered registered Reising receivers. I’ve brokered quite a few of these guns over the years and have yet to come across a commercial Reising with an ‘S’ prefix.
The Numrich military repros are very well done, in my experience, with all correct military parts and correctl6 parkerized. Buyers will pay a premium for these repros sometimes and at other times want a discount to a commercial value. FWIW

#6 Loulittle

Loulittle

• Regular Group
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 10:21 PM

Recently purchased a Model 50, SN 5554. Waiting on my Form 4 to clear. Came in original box...hard to tell if it was fired much.

#7 eMGunslinger

eMGunslinger

• Regular Group
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 11:20 PM

I have a S Prefix gun
Out of all the Reisings I have bought and sold 20+ now by rough count its been one of the nicer and better running ones I have ever had. Not to say the others didn't run well but I have NEVER had a problem with this gun and cleaning it hasn't ever been a priority.

#8 taeelec

taeelec

• Regular Group
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:WW2 small arms

Posted 19 January 2018 - 09:09 AM

Congrats on the purchase of your early manufacture M50 Loulittle! I'd love to see some pictures! Especially interested in the box. Is this your first Reising? Todd in Oregon

#9 Loulittle

Loulittle

• Regular Group
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 10:36 PM

Will be happy to when my Form 4 clears and I can take possession!