Recent Purchase - Parts Kit for Build

I picked this 1928A1 parts kit up from the seller yesterday, great guy, was in the area and brought it with him to save me money on shipping cost. The condition of the parts kit was excellent, all parts are Savage marked. This will be resurrected into a dealer sample for demo use to LE in my area . What spare parts should I keep on hand, I am assuming, extractor, ejector, firing pin? any other items that I should keep on hand? I also picked up a lot of 20 round magazines from a friend I buy other parts from, the deal was to good to pass up even if most of the mags have been refinished. Any other information that you gentlemen can provide would be greatly appreciated. Also looking for some 30 round magazines as well.

hYGLM8Uh.jpg

GIwnOquh.jpg

KyYqk53h.jpg?1

57yqOGsh.jpg?1

Pappy1600,

Looks pretty nice. You have plenty of mags. Some of your mags had witness holes soldered by the British for desert use, but someone has drilled out the solder.

The grip hanger is the most common part to break, in my opinion.

Also, I don't think I welcomed you to Machinegunboards previously, so welcome! I like your avatar.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Pappy1600,

Looks pretty nice. You have plenty of mags. Some of your mags had witness holes soldered by the British for desert use, but someone has drilled out the solder.

The grip hanger is the most common part to break, in my opinion.

Also, I don't think I welcomed you to Machinegunboards previously, so welcome! I like your avatar.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Thank you, I noticed those mags as well,to bad they didn't leave the solder in them. Thanks on the info on the grip hanger as well, would not have guessed that being a common item to break. Appreciate the info.

Terry

Very nice parts kit, Pappy.

There's a lot of history sitting on the bench there. Did you spot any "lamp-black" stuck in the crevices of the lower receiver? Does it have an original, un-modified serial number?

If I recall there were only ever about 57 trans-Atlantic Convoys. I believe some 1928s got to Ukraine overland through Basra, Iraq.

Through U-boats, Condors, Heinkels with Fritz-x's...your parts kit got overseas 75 years ago and still looks like new. Someone took really good care of it.

Good luck with your build. Phil

Pappy,

I cannot tell from the photos, but if your buffer disc is the old hard type you can replace it with a modern polyurethane one to save wear and tear on your gun.

I have gotten them from Diamond K Precision Machine & Gunsmithing in CO and Gunpartscorp. Other places make/sell them also.

Very nice parts kit, Pappy.

There's a lot of history sitting on the bench there. Did you spot any "lamp-black" stuck in the crevices of the lower receiver? Does it have an original, un-modified serial number?

If I recall there were only ever about 57 trans-Atlantic Convoys. I believe some 1928s got to Ukraine overland through Basra, Iraq.

Through U-boats, Condors, Heinkels with Fritz-x's...your parts kit got overseas 75 years ago and still looks like new. Someone took really good care of it.

Good luck with your build. Phil

Phil, Thank you, I was amazed at the quality of this kit as well, everything was near perfect , the bore is mirror bright with very strong rifling, the serial number is;NOS 444391, if you can provide a date of manufacture I would appreciate it, also you referenced "lamp-black" , forgive me but I don't know what that is? I did notice a light black film on the lower that was easily removed with some Hopes if that's what you are referring to?

Pappy,

I cannot tell from the photos, but if your buffer disc is the old hard type you can replace it with a modern polyurethane one to save wear and tear on your gun.

I have gotten them from Diamond K Precision Machine & Gunsmithing in CO and Gunpartscorp. Other places make/sell them also.

Appreciate the info, will definitely pick a couple of those up to keep on hand.

The magazine on the bottom middle with the elongated hole is cut for a semi Thompson. It may or may not work in your gun?

If you are doing demo's you'll need lots of ammo.....because they won't be bringing any. Best of luck

I noticed the oblong mag as well, I hear what you're saying about the ammo as well, I reload and have a ton of 45 brass, but haven't loaded 45acp in quite sometime, guess maybe time to start getting back into it.

Looks great!

I bought a very nice M1928A1 in the mid 1990s. Nothing on it's ever broken, so I'm the wrong guy to ask about which spare parts to stock. I've gradually sold off the spares I had to guys who needed them.

Pappy1600,

Phil was referring to the WWII Training Film you can watch at the link below:

Your gun was made in 1942. Savage ceased production of the 1928 sometime around mid-1942, your parts have a late (400,000) serial number for the 1928 Model. Probably made sometime in the Spring of 1942. There are no records of individual dates of production by serial number, so usually it is just a best guess,

Thanks for the video, the front sight was covered in a black coating, it was hard from being on the sight for all those years, watching this video makes sense now , could very well have been black shoe polish , I assumed it was maybe powder residue from the Cuts compensator. Learned something new today, Thank you.

Thanks for the video, the front sight was covered in a black coating, it was hard from being on the sight for all those years, watching this video makes sense now , could very well have been black shoe polish , I assumed it was maybe powder residue from the Cuts compensator. Learned something new today, Thank you.

Pappy1600,

The black film you noticed on your parts kit wasn't residue from original "Lamp-Black", utilized during training in WWII. That film was on many of the parts kits that were imported from overseas about 12 or so years ago. I believe it was some sort of preservative applied to the parts for long-term storage. I had several of the parts kit from that time frame and most had the black film on the parts that had become rusted or pitted. Not al of the parts kits had rusting or pitting, but quite a few had the black film on certain areas of the metal.

• Upvote 1

I think that "black film" on so many imported guns is paint. The Brits called it "stoving". I bought a new condition M1 Thompson parts kit from Omega Weapon Systems and had it combined with a WH M1 TSMG. Step number one was to remove that black paint with paint remover.

• Upvote 1

Pappy,

Nice parts set. I'm glad you got a nice bbl and adjustable rear sight. Barrels stopped being included in sets when their import was banned a number of years ago, and the importers of the earlier sets typically replaced the adjustable rear sight with a fixed L sight so that could sell the adjustable separately for more money.

It appears that most of your mags have been parkerized. Looks grey, but it's hard to know for sure. All parkerizing of mags was done post WWII by a number of different countries and individuals. The Israelis parked many of theirs green/OD and typically stamped them with Israeli military markings. Other mags were parked grey or black, and some were painted. The Brits painted a bunch of theirs either red/brown or green/OD. Parkerizing is also used to cover up pitted mags, though yours appear to be in good shape.

Agree with David that the grip mount is a part that you should have extras of, but make sure they are the solid milled version (typically Savage or Stevens) instead of the riveted version. As you guessed, extractor and ejector are a good idea as well, but even those rarely fail unless something is out of spec or you shoot a lot of steel-cased ammo, which can put additional stress on them. Replacement recoil springs are a good idea and can be purchased from Wolff.

You could get an extra actuator in case the ears of yours get damaged, but that is very rare for 1928 actuators. An alternative would be to get an extra 1928 actuator and have PK mill it down to a 1921. That plus his hybrid pilot and a new Wolff 1921 recoil spring allows you to operate the gun at 1921 speeds instead of 1928. Your call on that one, but LE probably won't prefer that option.

Enjoy your new toy!

Roger

• Upvote 1

Thank you guys for the great information, I do appreciate the input. Devious send me a message on that mag, I have no use for it, looking for only original unaltered mags.

Edited by Pappy1600

• 7 months later...

Post sample has been completed, the gentleman that performed the receiver work did a bang up job, you can't even tell where the weld was, I tried all my mags and found I had a handfull that were very hard to insert , I didn't want to force them so I just set them aside, everything looks fine on the magazines so curious why they are so hard fitting? mainly Seymour mags are the problem mags, one 30 and the rest are 20's. Any suggestions?

ggWNKgZh.jpg

TCJmvhPh.jpg

VlWmf9Ph.jpg

9XpTT6Gh.jpg

SLIc3Dih.jpg

Laaa8jah.jpg

PL7DATwh.jpg

Your Postie looks great! Thanks for sharing.

I am curious. Did you stamp the serial number from the frame on the receiver and manufacture/register it with that number so you will have a matching receiver and frame?