Opinions on the Finish on this Gun

huggytree

im deciding between 2 of rubens guns...he has the $$ i just have to decide which one i want

8377 appears to be all original, but the finish has bands in it . darker and lighter bands very visible on the makers mark close up.. i also see some 2 tone around the serial # like scum is there. i see some scum at the back corner of the rear sight too. i also think i see some pitting starting to the front of the makers mark...im just looking from others who own original finish guns if this is common? my ingram m6 has a blotchy finish and i know they all do...are the bands of dark/light finish you can see on the larger pictures a typical reising feature?

https://dealernfa.com/shop/cr-reising-m50-45-acp-7781/

i prefer original finish always...but #8327 is a beauty queen, but all redone. i like the beech stock too.

https://dealernfa.com/shop/cr-reising-m50-45-acp-8327/

im 51/49 wanting 7781....im picking one of them

Edited by huggytree

Well, if a tiny, tiny alleged bit of pitting is an annoyance, don’t forget the rust and discoloration on the selector switch and the word “model” that has a gentle slope to it and other little anomalies.

Having owned quite a few MGs in very pristine original condition I found very quickly that even tiny imperfections became the focus on a gun and this perpetual distraction eroded my pleasure in owning it. So, no more beauty queens for me. I like to shoot them anyway so no big loss.

So, my question to you for a choice is what “problems” on either of these guns are the least annoying to you and can be overlooked during your possession of it? If the anomalies of their respective conditions are too annoying, save your momey and look for a better one. There are plenty out there.

Or take a trip to Ruben’s and check them out.

FWIW

all of my guns w/ original finish have their flaws

i just wanted opinions on the original finish..the bands of color...

its not a $40k colt thompson

its a shooter

if someone ,who has one can verify their finish also is blotchy/bands--- thats all i need.....the odd finish at the serial # area?? is it heat treating?

i dont know this gun and its qualities, just looking for opinions....Bob--i know this is one of the guns you work on...so your opinion is important to me!!

the refinished gun has no beauty flaws.....im just a sucker for original finish and trying to verify the anomalies i see are typical for a reising before i decide which one

all opinions appreciated

Edited by huggytree

Look, every gun is going to be different in close detail so the "bands", as you call them are part of that particular guns finish for whatever reason and not an anomaly that you are going to find on every other Reising. It is of no importance unless you make it so, which was the point of my observation above. If, as you claim, in your view, the gun is a "shooter" then why the concern for such minor details? Especially when you are also considering a completely reblued example?

There was no "heat treatment" of the Reising receivers.

BTW, just in case you didn't notice, I'll point out that in the pic of the rear left side of the receiver, the congealed and dried residue of oil is visible as a scratched layer on the surface. This will clean off.

You have made the point that "original finish" is a major criterion for purchase so this choice should be easy.

original finish is always my #1 choice....all my historic guns except my mp40(which is a reweld) are original finish.....so yes 7781 was always my winner...1941 i think is very cool too!

it will be a shooter as are all of my guns...i baby them all, so whatever quality i buy them at is where they will stay.

i bought a 1903a3 recently and chose a ogden arsenal redo/refinish over an original finish at a similar price....the gun was i believe unfired since 1945...still a US govt. finish which could be argued a correct finish depending on how you see it.

i figured the rear sight was gunk in the corner....the finish bands i worried was a sign of heat being applied.....my local smith taught me about how heat effects finish and how you can spot work thats been done by it thats otherwise hidden. also his tricks on how he hides it by heating the whole piece.....i also know my ingram m6 with a blotchy finish....ive never seen one that doesnt have the botchy finish...i just was curious if early Reisings also have this blotchy finish and that helps prove its original...if its correct for the gun i dont have an issue with it...i just want to make sure the guns finish appears to be original...

im always anal and over think. Im choosing Ruben for this gun because its known to be problematic and want quality and service to handle any function issues. Wow he is great on the phone..picks up every time!!!....ive dealt with him a few times and did not choose his product...this time i did.

I have a blued former PD Reising and for what it's worth the selector switch on mine has that same blotchy purple/blue discoloration as the one on 7781.

i believe that rainbow selector is case hardened...its supposed to look that way...its a detail on the gun i really like!! not sure if its only on early ones or not. the safety switch was never an issue with me. i knew that was correct...as i believe the rest of the gun is.

I like #106214, except for the scratch on the receiver.

Based on your own criteria, then #7781 is probably the way to go.

I know it's only a $7K gun, but it's cold right now, and a trip to Miami would be fun. Ruben has at least 9 Reisings. You should go make a visit. If you get serious about actually going to Miami, PM me.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Cant travel for a $6k gun

Im in FL every year for vacation

Excited about my first Ruben experience. After some bad sellers Im hoping for a wonderful experience this time. I just want it to run

I could buy cheaper, but I can also toss $1,000 into repairs and Ive saved nothing. With Ruben I hope to get a quality runner out of the box. And if not I hope its handled correct and fixed

Ive already bought my mags, titanium firing pin and Wolff spring kit. Now to wait 8-9 months

Should efile next week

If the gun runs fine when you get it, I suggest not replacing the firing pin and springs. Keep them as spares. Remember, these guns were hand fitted, and what you think may be a replacement part that should work 100% of the time could potentially contribute to a new issue. Reising parts were not required by the USMC to be completely interchangeable.

Your results may vary. Many people replace parts. I'm just saying that if it works, enjoy shooting it like it is...This board is the best place to sort out any potential issues.

David Albert

dalbert@syurmgewehr.com

Serial # 8327 is not original finish, has an incorrect later type selector and incorrect later type rear site ( with mounting hole for a screw which is incorrect for an early serial # Reising). Serial # 7781 is original finish and correct and looks great. I'd go with this one. Todd in Oregon

https://dealernfa.com/shop/cr-reising-m50-45-acp-106214/

Here's the one Dalbert likes

if thats cosmo and not rust and original wood/metal finish its an enigma....too good to be true....im going to inquire about it with ruben at least....im not against a military gun if its this nice...i assumed it was an old refinish park job with a fresh refinish stock.....maybe im wrong

looking at the serial # pic of 106214 the gunk looks more like cosmo than rust...but hard to tell....the rest of the gun looks so good that its odd all the rust would only be around the selector and the rear sight...

i figure ill ask ruben to take hoppes and a q-tip and see if it comes off...

decide between the 2 on monday!

https://dealernfa.com/shop/cr-reising-m50-45-acp-106214/

Here's the one Dalbert likes

if thats cosmo and not rust and original wood/metal finish its an enigma....too good to be true....im going to inquire about it with ruben at least....im not against a military gun if its this nice...i assumed it was an old refinish park job with a fresh refinish stock.....maybe im wrong

I find it interesting that 106214 has surfaced for your consideration Huggy. I own 106230 and 106231. Who would expect a Reising with a serial number that close to mine to pop up. Only on these forums. I sort of like #7781.

the next sequential serial # on my ingram m6 came up on GB this past year. how rare was that? (sadly it was goofed with and had a goofy home made stock)

i considered bidding just to own 2 guns that were next to each other in 1950

how does the finish on your gun compare to rubens reising...do you agree its an original finish?

106214 is for sure original finish. The crud around the selector is a mix of grease/ rust, but really the photo looks a lot worse than it is. That would be the one I'd pick over the others.

7781 looks good, but the finish on the gun does not match the dings on the stock and the different shades would lead me to think it was reblued....but not recently because of the dried oil on the receiver. Or the stock was switched out? Hard call on that one, and the photos are not that great.

8327 should be priced much lower.....it has nothing going for it by comparison.

David is correct, don't fix what ain't broke! Lots of aftermarket parts are marginal. I've never touched any of mine and they all work fine. I have guns in all three finishes of the guns discussed (including one that was refinished) and the only one I'd be sure about is 106214 based on the photos provided.

Side note Ingram M6's did not ship blochy, but some are now. Mine is not. HTH

the next sequential serial # on my ingram m6 came up on GB this past year. how rare was that? (sadly it was goofed with and had a goofy home made stock)

i considered bidding just to own 2 guns that were next to each other in 1950

how does the finish on your gun compare to rubens reising...do you agree its an original finish?

If you scroll down the previous posts to the Toronto Police Reisings you'll see pictures of mine. I believe 106230 still has its original finish and looks very much like 106214. My other one, 106231, has been, I believe, refinished at some point.

you are very lucky...a beautiful well taken care of gun...

the nice stamp for the police dept is cool too...i see too many police hack job markings...a nice stamp like yours adds to the value in my opinion

im surprised Canadian police ever had machine guns.