Reising Model 60 Action Bar

pgreen

I am waiting on the final months of my Model 50 to transfer to me. My FFL let me come play with my baby. It ran in semi but not full auto. I took it apart and it had unusual action bar. I replaced it with my full auto action bar from SARCO and it ran without a single hiccup. So I assume I have a model 60 action bar. I hate to trash it. So my question is can this be milled out to make it full auto?

post-261390-0-17333100-1587992210_thumb.jpg

Whatever you do DO NOT trash it. Action bars are a service part and are frequently in demand. I see no reason why it cannot be milled out but someone more knowledgeable than I would have to make the final call on that. If you decide you don't want to use it put it up on Gunbroker or Sturmgewehr. It will sell.

From the picture on page 65 of Frank Iannamico's Reising book that is an "early style" action bar. He does not indicate the serial number range for which this type is appropriate nor does he explain why the change was made but the reduced manufacturing cost is an obvious factor and, as you have seen, reliability is another. The bits and pieces in the fire control group are mostly stampings and can become deformed over time. I would bet that your full auto connector no longer aligns with the slot on the bottom left of the "early" action bar that came with the gun but has no issues hooking into the other more open "late" action bar. There are differences between early and late connectors that may also come into play. The early connectors can be identified by a sharp corner on the bottom front, the late versions have a radius

Take the action out of the stock turn it over and look at the connector and action bar and you will see what I am talking about. Whether you modify the connector to fit the original action bar, modify the bar or replace it is up to you. if it were my gun and it had a very low serial number and early style connector I would try to make the original connector work with the original bar, if it's not a low S/N then I would simply put in a later model bar and call it good.