M1 Configuration?

I've got a West Hurley M1/M1A1 that's transferring, and I think I'd like to make it look like a REAL M1. How were the original M1's configured? Did they all have the L sight, or did some have the later sight with the protective ears? Did they all have plain stocks, or did some have crossbolt reinforced stocks?

I'm thinking that it makes sense to make the gun look like an M1 rather than an M1A1. I need to replace the M1A1 bolt that comes with it with an M1 bolt (already got one from IMA) for safety reasons. Also, the receiver says "M1" on it. So I might as well go ahead and try to create a replica M1. I know that the L sights were used on late 1928A1's and on early M1's, but were the protected sights ever installed on M1's? I really prefer the protective style.) Thanks.

Page 105 of American Thunder states that in mid ’42 the protective ear rear sight was added to M1 production, so you should be OK.

Don’t forget the paddle style controls and ’28 style mag catch.

To really look right, these need to have the receiver corners radiused and some other cosmetic work.

Here's the rear site on my M1. And as far as I know there was a early M1 rear stock that had a no cross bolt configuration, but they quickly went to the cross bolt for strength.

Hi,

Wolfer113 has on for sale on ebay now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...tegory=585&rd=1

I have bought from him, and he posts here too!

Good luck!

My Savage built Thompson M1A1 (SN 522xxx...very close to Mike's serial number...probably same week production!) does not have the cross drilled stock. I know that they started adding the cross drilled stock in mid 1943...so an early M1 (not A1) would not have it. Many of the M1's were arsonal refurbished or rebuilt after the war at which time the cross bolt was added. Also the M1s had the rocker style selectors (atleast mine does)...later production went to the bar style selectors

post-3-1073483664.jpg

And then there are the other touches for an early M1 TSMG. As mentioned, stock with no cross bolt, "L" rear sight (stamped "Lyman"), and plain paddle style pivot and safety. Add a milled gripmount, milled sling swivels, and a 1928A1 mag catch as well. Finish was matte blue.

My WH M1 goes out to PK today for all of these touches, as well as for the receiver modification that he mentions above and other work to bring the gun to GI specs.

This will entail another four month wait, but I know it will be beautiful when PK returns it.