Op Rod Wear

What "kind" of gun is it installed in ? Original Maremount. RIA or a post sample build ? Something looks to be out of alignment to create that wear.

RIA and I might be mistaken on the round count. I have 2 m60's and i'm not sure I did put in a new op rod. I started second guessing myself. The other is a new England group.

Eric

We had three RIA guns back in the late 80s. Lots of issues with running "correctly" We ended up having an opportunity for a Army Armorer to go through them, and he ended up replacing a lot of the internals. Seems the parts were not "Milspec", or were reject govt parts. This could be the case for this part. Also look at the receiver and see if there is corresponding wear to the op rod . The wear on the tower could be the Op rod or could be the bolt having issues. Assuming you dont feather the trigger, Op rods should get 10s of thousands of rds before issues crop up. you might want to review you lubrication plan and ensure you are correctly lubricating the critical points.

We had three RIA guns back in the late 80s. Lots of issues with running "correctly" We ended up having an opportunity for a Army Armorer to go through them, and he ended up replacing a lot of the internals. Seems the parts were not "Milspec", or were reject govt parts. This could be the case for this part. Also look at the receiver and see if there is corresponding wear to the op rod . The wear on the tower could be the Op rod or could be the bolt having issues. Assuming you dont feather the trigger, Op rods should get 10s of thousands of rds before issues crop up. you might want to review you lubrication plan and ensure you are correctly lubricating the critical points.

Thanks for the advice. You would be amazed at what I don't know. I just dove right in and have made a few mistakes but having fun.

Eric

• 2 months later...

I have a nice double notch E6 op rod for sale if you want a spare. 500 rounds, and it is basically new with just the normal wear one would see at 500 rounds. Message me your phone number if you are interested, and I can text you pictures. $250, and it's yours.

TY very much and fair price but I loaded up with like 10 of them. half and half double notch. I went thru my fear of spare parts phase. lol Thanks

Eric

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Mil-Comm TW25B Synthetic Grease at all contact and wear points. Mil-Comm Oil or CLP on everything else. I have an RIA, which was originally in the E1 configuration, except when I got her, she had already been upgraded internally to an E3 op-rod, new bolt, spring and thicker spring rod. She was low-mileage with a tight RIA trunion. Original bolt and op-rod still look good. I swapped the top cover for the billet style and alternate between the original E1 barrel, an E3 (handle removed) and a custom modified E-1 Commando-style (shortened, no bi-pod). Good supply of spares and a mix of E3, E4 and E6 parts/accy. to swap-out...just like my kid's LEGO. What a great platform, as I can reconfigure just a little bit ..... for every shoot. All configurations shoot great, so long as you stick to your lube plan & keep her clean, especially the gas-tube & piston.....and use good ammo.

I just use gun oil on everything. No grease. Not sure if that's bad?

I am grappling with the same issue. I notice with the grease, my gun slows down and gets a ton dirtier. Would love to just use oil but still undecided.

Eric

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a nice double notch E6 op rod for sale if you want a spare. 500 rounds, and it is basically new with just the normal wear one would see at 500 rounds. Message me your phone number if you are interested, and I can text you pictures. $250, and it's yours.

Can an E6 op rod be used in a standard M60?

• 1 month later...

Am I correct in assuming that the second sear notch on an E6 op rod is there to prevent runaways such as I had when the bottom gas plug fell out?

Also a bolt question: can the new style bolts be used in the original version of the 60?

Yes the second sear notch, first upgraded on the E3 (and the second and third notches in the Danish contract op-rods) helps prevent runaways if the recoil stroke is not long enough to reset the sear, but enough to extract the next round. A problem that can occur with any open bolt gun, especially a fixed-firing pin open bolt gun. This can be caused by under-powered ammo, a dirty gas system and other mechanical issues.

By "new style bolts" I assume you are referring to US Ordnance produced and coded bolts? Yes, they are all 100% compatible, but USO bolts rare and expensive. A good original NOS bolt is close to $500 these days. I'm still kicking myself for passing on two new US Ord bolts someone offered me several years ago at a good price.

There are very few parts that can not be interchanged between the E1, E3, E4 (Mod 0 & Mod 1) and the E6. For example, you can not put a E3,4,6 barrel on a pig with the E1 hand guard on it, as the handle gets in the way. I have one E3 barrel with no handle just for this. With a stripped receiver and the required parts you can build any version you wish, and mix and match your favorite features into a hybrid pig. I do this all the time. Just about every time I take my pig out to play, she is set-up differently. Franken-pig rules.....

• 7 months later...

What would be the difference between an E3 opp rod and an E6 opp rod?

What would be the difference between an E3 opp rod and an E6 opp rod?

An E3 op rod would be a 2-notch manufactured by SACO defense

An E6 op-rod would be either a 2-notch or 3-notch (Danish Mil spec) manufactured by US Ordnance

All are interchangeable function-wise