Start this off with a picture of Mr. Dillinger in the Tuscon jail, JUST arrested, not a happy camper. The public was allowed to view the Dillinger gang in prison , like a circus act !!! The gang was even allowed to buy stuff from the public, with money taken ( probably) from the Racine bank robbery. The diamond stick pin, is still in a private collector's possession, in Tucson.

I tried to buy it-

Oh yes, the Thompsons were recovered

OCM

Edited by OCM

He might not be happy, but there's a trace of a smirk on that face! :D

Rob

I know the family fairly well according to them, he seemed to be a rather nice guy, good sense of humor and all. He put on a nice show face when needed. Then the dark side of course. If you have ever watched the film of him at Crown Point jail you can see this, laughing and all, then frowning when the cameras do a closeup.Walking into a bank with a Thompson- insane.

I agree, Sandy...a lot of people forget that he was as human as anyone else. Given the right (or wrong) circumstances, we all have the good and evil in us, it's just a thin degree of separation.

Rob

Here is some other views of Mr. Dillinger. He actually had a woman's fan club going on during his short stint. He fancied himself as a Clarke Gable type, one reason for attending his last picture show. Edited by OCM
  • Upvote 1

That candid photo of JD in the red frame is really neat.

Rob

This was from the Tucson arrest- There was such a circus affair going on by the arrest of John Dillinger, they shuttled ( snuck) him over to Douglas, AZ to be taken by small plane to a larger airport, then flew to Chicago in a Tri-plane, actually various Tri-planes enroute.

I've traced the American Airlines one pictured at the Midway Chicago airport, it's in China now. ( or was )

Rest of the gang taken by train.

His girlfriend and another gang's girlfriend were set free in Tucson. They washed dishes, begged a bit and got enough money to grab a bus and get the hell out of there. Just the clothes on their backs-

airplane.jpg

Misc Baby Face Nelson items- Probably the worst outlaw of them all. A master of the Thompson, so they said. Edited by OCM

Just some more " stuff "

OCM

Edited by OCM

Who owns the original boater that JD was wearing when Winstead (allegedly) plugged him that night?

Rob

You do, actually. It is under our care with the FBI in our capitol.

Rob, as you probably know, the lost Dillinger Colt pocket pistol was found recently. It was mounted in the FBI display case with other Dillinger artifacts, however in recent years some Colt gun noticed the numbers and traced the gun on display to Volney Davis in 1935. ( remember I'm on memory a lot these days but I'm damn close ) So what happened to the real Dillinger gun? Nobody knew, gone, stolen from the FBI ??? Mystery.

What happened, when the FBI took down the display to redo it or whatever, they they stored all the Dillinger stuff, gun still missing. Dr. John Fox, FBI historian, was in the closet where the Dillinger artifacts were stored with other things and here was the original gun, had probably been misplaced in another display or something. You can go to Larry Wacks site and read the story.

How they mounted these guns, they drilled holes right through them to bolt to the wall. In one of my postings on the guns, is the original, you can see the mounting holes- Yes, I believe the same to the historic Thompsons !!

How they mounted these guns, they drilled holes right through them to bolt to the wall. In one of my postings on the guns, is the original, you can see the mounting holes- Yes, I believe the same to the historic Thompsons !!

Jesus H....was that asinine, or what? :huh:

Rob

Who owns the original boater that JD was wearing when Winstead (allegedly) plugged him that night?

Rob

You do, actually. It is under our care with the FBI in our capitol.

Rob, as you probably know, the lost Dillinger Colt pocket pistol was found recently. It was mounted in the FBI display case with other Dillinger artifacts, however in recent years some Colt gun noticed the numbers and traced the gun on display to Volney Davis in 1935. ( remember I'm on memory a lot these days but I'm damn close ) So what happened to the real Dillinger gun? Nobody knew, gone, stolen from the FBI ??? Mystery.

What happened, when the FBI took down the display to redo it or whatever, they they stored all the Dillinger stuff, gun still missing. Dr. John Fox, FBI historian, was in the closet where the Dillinger artifacts were stored with other things and here was the original gun, had probably been misplaced in another display or something. You can go to Larry Wacks site and read the story.

If I remember correctly the Dillenger pistol also has a large hole that looks like it was torched. This is the way the FBI treats our national historical treasures. Can't be too careful with those dangerous guns you know, a civilian might get to touch it some day.

Just some more " stuff "

OCM

OCM,

Please tell us about the XX Thompson mag in the photo of Terraplane items.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Good eye-

That's a XX magazine recovered from the Dillinger arrest in Tucson. I've addressed it in one of the posts here- NMCP has it now. I'm on the board with them as an advisor to the 30s outlaws, so may be able to borrow it for a shoot. ??? As I remember, it's a blank.

• 1 month later...

Some new items here-

Dillinger's grave, top picture was taken in the late 60s, I think the bottom one was about 1983. It's been replaced , I think, 4 times now from being chipped away. Oddly , it has John Dillinger JR on it, he wasn't a Jr but it seperated it from his fathers grave, so the family says- The grave has concrete poured over it, a couple feet down, to prevent grave robbers .

IO poster Dillinger's girlfriend

Dillinger being fingerprinted, Cook County Morgue, 1934

Crown Point arrest card

OCM

Edited by OCM

Here's a good one, Dillinger gang member Harry Pierpont ( middle) , the smartass of the group, flipping off the Judge at the arraignment in Tucson, 1934.

He was mocking everything throughout the hearing. He was responsible for killing the sheriff in Lima, Ohio, four months prior.

They fried him about 7 months later in Old Sparkey ! Got off to easy.

Edited by OCM

Only for the ultimate Dillinger collectors. The Dillinger girls & spots.

Mary, Billie & Polly & Billie's vanity mirror-

Back to the TSMG.

Edited by OCM

Some paperwork Edited by OCM

That aint, nutten. Your mug better not be on there ! Edited by OCM