Remington Model 11 Extra Ring- Help/Question

So i just got this Remington Model 11...cleaned it all up, putting it back together and want it setup for trap shooting...

i read all the instructions and it says to put the ring at the base, then the spring, then the restrictor ring for light loads....

problem is my gun is different....it has a ring already as the base...its allen wrenched on, it doesnt just slide off...do i put the ring over this piece?

im thinking this is a late model change? or something my grandfather added to help it cycle better?

this is my grandfathers gun..1949 vintage...and he was a duck hunter...its a 2 3/4 only and when i took it apart it was setup for heavy loads

nVS521J.jpg

Edited by huggytree

dont worry too much about the bottom ring thats torqued down. I've had one that had it and one that didnt, best thing to do is take it out and shoot it with light loads.

one that ring was really cranked on , I removed it and my tube would get loose real quick.

Edited by StooperZero

thanks...parts diagram shows the part

video does not

its a very late gun....even though production stopped in 47 it has a 1949 barrel on it...from what i can find they had them sitting around for a few years after production...so maybe this was a later design change

Try your trap shoot with VERY LITTLE oil (almost none) on the mag tube where the friction ring will engage the mag tube through it's recoil length. Chances are it will function fine, that setup will result in a smooth shove of any perceived recoil, a pleasure to shoot. If it hangs up apply more oil until you get desired results. Too many folks think the mag tube - friction ring area should be liberally oiled, not so. If well oiled, the possibility of a sharp painful recoil is the result, beating the gun up too. If the gun bangs the crap out of you in recoil regardless of no oil or lots, your recoil spring on the tube and behind the bolt has had it and needs replacing. Good Luck and enjoy, these guns are a pleasure when setup right.

- Note, a lot of Browning A5's and Rem 11's being older guns that were designed to shoot the light and heavy loads of that era are not to picky with today's light loads. All my "light" 20 and 12 gauge A5's work with today's modern light loads with the friction ring/spring setup for heavy loads. I'm guessing today's light loads have a little more going for them than the light loads of the old days.

right now its just wiped down with rem. oil....may test it out tomorrow for function...id had a piece of metal inside of it loose....trying to figure where it broke off of and i cant see anything like it inside...very odd....but then it hasnt been fired in probably 40+ years either

curious to compare it with a browning a5....the Browning has 2 springs vs the 1 spring of the Remington.....maybe the browning will have a bit less recoil

found where the piece of metal stuck inside the gun went...trigger spring.... an ear is broke off....part=$8...but that damn screw wont come off...going to take it to a gun smith......i assume something i can hand to him and him hand back in 10 minutes

Huggy, at this point, if its not and issue otherwise, considering the broken piece, I'd have the whole gun gone over buy a smith that knows his business with these particular kind of guns. ** very very very few BA5's with 2 springs and is not the norm, probably specific to a particular year(s) or someone added another spring not understanding the recoil system and trying to tame the recoil.

Huggy,

Checking my references, the only BRN A5's with 2 (dual) recoils springs were the early 3 " Magnum guns, (1958 being the intro of the first 3 inch magnum guns, for how long using the dual springs for magnums ?? but ultimately went to single spring on later models). All standard light 20 and 12's only had one spring. JB

Huggy,

Checking my references, the only BRN A5's with 2 (dual) recoils springs were the early 3 " Magnum guns, (1958 being the intro of the first 3 inch magnum guns, for how long using the dual springs for magnums ?? but ultimately went to single spring on later models). All standard light 20 and 12's only had one spring. JB

my Browning A5 is a 1st year Magnum...i believe 1958

my sons that were discussing is a 1949 Remington model 11 - the sportman (on the bolt).....ive taken it completely apart...all looks minty....the outside doesnt have a mark barely...looks better than most of the guns on the wall at Gander mountain that they hack up pulling them in/out all day......i gun dry fires strongly...i suspect it would just occasionally have a weak hammer strike......ill just have my local gun shop loosen the screw for me....i know them well enough they will probably do it for free....$8 and the gun will be back to new....sad, as i wanted to go test fire both guns today....

my Grandfather had good taste in shotguns....amazing looking guns

7n3EGBN.jpg

jbVBzX5.jpg

VxFW61u.jpg

notice the widowmaker winchester 1911sl next to the other 3....brand new....i doubt it was even fired....giving it to my brother as i have no use for it....prettying interesting history on that one

my dad still has the browning A5 light....also minty...but it doesnt have a poly choke(the (2) A5's i have DO!), so it has no value to me as a shooter....i only use my guns for trap......its a full choke so i could use it for turkey, but i doubt its a magnum setup........the poly chokes are done very nicely(look factory)...for a shooter its a must have for me...i know it kills collector value, but neither of these guns will ever be sold

Edited by huggytree

Right On

I've hunted with A5's all my life, Grand Dad used his Rem 11. He is past on now but when I reach back in my mind and reminisce about the good Ole days of hunting, I see my Grand Pop taking so many great shots with his Rem 11. Special days and people, they live on in the guns we pass down too.

You have to learn, keep and pass on and certain level of Savvy for these types of guns. With that said, I have a full Browning printed maintenance & repair manual on hand , PM me if your interested in a copy. JB

thanks for the offer...very nice.....i really dont plan to use it much.....maybe once a year to join my kids on sporting clays.....

i will use it....but i like my Benelli super sport........but then again thats before i shoot it...maybe it will impress me beyond my Benelli...

my son on the other hand---he will use his Remington often.....his 870 will probably be his rain trap gun now....and his turkey gun....

pm sent...ill take that maintenance info