Wwii Thompson L Drums

Sportsmansguide.com is getting in some like-new WWII drums for $400, $360 for club members (Its $30 to join). They expect to ship them by Sept. 15.

WWII Thompson Drums

How much is a working Kahr drum worth now?

Will there be a temporary glut of WWII drums?

Would now be a good time to sell your WWII drum of lesser condition and trade up?

Rich

Thanks for the heads up... I just ordered ten of them..... No billing til it ships, "or so they say"... Some people have not be totaly happy with them, but I'll give it a shot.

Already sold out, damn!

Mike Hammer http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/sad.gif

Supershooter,

Thanks for the notice on the SG drums. I ordered one.

Z3BigDaddy,

I hope they fill your order for 10. A friend of mine tried to make a similar order once for FN-D magazines (I think he ordered 20 of them), and they would not fill it because they considered him a "dealer" due to the quantity ordered. He wanted the FN-D magazines for his FN-D, not to resell. I don't know if this may happen in your case, but don't be surprised if it does.

Thanks!

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Be sure you guys give the rest of us a quality review on these supposedly WWII drums...S.G. is notorious for `bait and switch`tactics...$20 bucks says they send a kahr and if you want to return it,you gotta pay shipping... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/sad.gif ...I hope they do send you the real deal,it would be nice to know that members here got a good deal... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

WTF, http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/mad.gif

SG sends me an e-mail (below) saying that 50rd drums are resticted in my area code(Ohio) http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/blink.gif . Anybody know what the deal is? According to SG all you guys going to the TCA shoot better leave your drums at home.

"Unfortunately, the following items are restricted to your billing zip code,

therefore we can not ship these items to you:

- NEW THOMPSON 50 RD DRUMS

We have not billed your charge card for any restricted items. We are

sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you."

I ordered one and they said they won't ship it till Sept.15. Which is fine for me at 360.00

I also asked them if they where the Kahr junks and they said it's really from Europe.I will let you guys know if it's the real deal or not.

T.

Edited by Elbow

Is it possible someone has found a catch of WWII drums overseas and figured out how to legally import the drums back into the USA? If so, I believe we will be seeing more vendors with Thompson drums for sale in the near future. It certainly will be interesting to see how this deal pans out. Perhaps the days of high priced Bridgeport's and Seymour's are soon to be a thing of the past!

QUOTE (Z3BigDaddy @ Jul 25 2005, 11:18 PM)
Or they realiZed their pricing error and held em back to sell at a higher price later.  Which is what I'm worried about here....

Big D,

Sportsmans Guide isn't out to gouge customers like dealers at gunshows. They got these things cheap and priced them accordingly. I know you have made it clear in the past that you would buy WWII drums all day for $600.00 to $800.00 dollars apiece. That is probably the prevailing price, but I wouldn't call that a great price for a sixty year old piece of metal.

Sportsmans Guide price is reasonable, not underpriced, considering they probably paid less than $100.00 apiece for these things. The same concerns arose on this list a couple of years ago when SG had a cache of WWII surplus blued 1928 Thompson bolts. They were all new old stock (NOS) and priced reasonably. Many list members fretted that they were reproductions. As I stated then, who in their right mind would tool up and make reproduction 1928 Thompson bolts. It's not like every household in the country is looking for that item. The bolts turned out to be Savage made bolts and they were quickly out of stock, just like the current WWII drums they advertised because many people ordered them by the dozen to turn a profit.

I don't think SG misrepresents anything they sell. It is surplus stuff that they locate, buy it cheap and sell it reasonably for a profit. I don't think you have to worry about them getting Thompson Greed and cancelling your order because someone whispered in their ear that the drums were priced too low. They knew the demand when they bought these things and anticipated they would sell quickly at the price offered. The ad even states , "they won't last long."

Relax and quit worrying, you'll make your profit when you resell them.

I'm not sure I understand. I thought importation of Thompson drums was prohibited. Does this fall under what happened with the recent partkits? According to some of you, the recent importation approval of Thompson partkits was some kind of oversight, allowing a bunch of them in the country. Surely, they didn't do that with drums also. I've always thought the drum was considered a Thompson part, or does it fall under a different purview?

Lancer,

I too was advised it was a restricted item for Ohio. (?) In speaking with Customer Service Ted I. (ext. 5309) he stated anything over 30 rds are restricted for Ohio yet could not explain why I could order a 32 rd 9mm mag for an M16. He also wanted to know if the Drum mag I had wanted to order was going to be used in a semi-auto Thompson. When told it would be used in a FA he was speachless. The link also indicates ammo won't be shipped to Ohio??? They shipped me a case of 45acp a couple of months ago. Does anybody know why the change in policy? They don't !!

First Sergeant,

I also talked to customer service to no avail. I spoke with a supervisor who was totally ignorant of Federal law as well as the Ohio Rev. Code., didn't know what a form 4 was or a C&R FFL. He refused to believe that someone from another state could sell me and UPS me a TSMG. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/blink.gif Unfortunately, he was quite comfortable in his ignorance.

Ignorance is bliss!

Hey, for what it's worth...they won't ship to Washington State either.

Got an email refusing to ship to my zip code and so I called. Talked to two seperate people and was told "company policy". I said check again, she said she called the ATF and was told "anything over 30 rounds is a machinegun" and "we don't ship machineguns to Washington State". Somethin' fishey here, bet we'll hear more stories about this sale. I for one just cancelled my "membership" and told them to take me off their mailing list.

BTW, I thought Ohio was a C3 state, wonder if they told Bob or Elizabeth at OOW yet.

Could it be that they are trying to come up with as many excuses as possible to not ship these, so they can come back in a month or so and charge a much higher price?

They say they don't have any left, but there sure seems to be alot of orders that they have since invalidated to still have no more. Sounds bad kind of fishy.

Jaron

QUOTE (Z3BigDaddy @ Jul 26 2005, 01:08 PM)
[Owww  Harsh....  I didn't think my post was that negative but sometimes I misjudge. I just got off the phone with SG and they were more than helpful.  As far as profiteering(sp?), that is hardly my intention.

Big D,

Didn't mean to suggest your post was negative. I was just repeating an anecdote regarding some previous Thompson parts that Sportsmans Guide had a couple of years ago and some similar concerns from list members.

Nobody can fault you for attempting to make a profit from some fairly priced accessories, but obviously purchasing ten didn't lead one to believe they were strictly for personal use.

These things are so rarely seen lately at fair prices that it's unfortunate that more collectors couldn't benefit from SG's offer. They were only listed on their email special postings and not on the regular site. This indicates they knew they would sell out quickly. I wonder how many they are importing?

No offense intended by my response to your original post.

QUOTE (Lancer @ Jul 26 2005, 01:52 PM)
QUOTE (Z3BigDaddy @ Jul 26 2005, 02:08 PM)
As with the semi cocking knobs, the drums I don't want will go to the sponsor board members first.

Big D,

If you have any extra, I'll take one.

Easy boys, lets see if I get em first....

This is what they just sent me, what a joke;

Dear Bob,

Thank you for the E-mail.

We have placed certain restrictions, on certain items listed in our catalog and our web site.

Due to the various state, county and municipal laws that exist, we are not always able to comply with each individual guideline. Not all of the restrictions are based on laws on the books, but could be a company decision based on certain concerns. Things such as whether the state law suits pending involving gun owners, recent court decisions that may effect businesses like ours. Finally it may be that the states laws are so vague that they could be interpreted unfavorably in the event a court action was ever involved, and finally as a public held company, we are obligated to safeguard our stockholder's investments.

We do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

If you have any other questions please contact us.

Enjoy the Outdoors,

Kari Lee

Customer Service

Hello Everyone

Everytime I go to there showroom in S. St. Paul There always real nice and freindly. I bought one of those bolts and its a Savage bolt Nice piece. I bet these drums are nice as well-adlake

Well, I was successful in ordering a drum on the website, but apparently there were so many ordered that SG inventory updates did not catch up with incoming demand.

Bottom line.....I'm not going to get my drum...

Here is a copy of the letter. They also gave me a $5 coupon...

Dear Guide Customer,

Thank you for your recent order xxxxxxxx with us at The Guide.

Unfortunately, the following items are sold out and no longer available:

- NEW THOMPSON 50 RD DRUMS

We have not charged your charge card for any of the above items. We

are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Our Web site is automatically updated several times each day. We try

to keep only available merchandise listed on our Web site. Therefore,

if an item is on backorder or sold out it should not show up as being

available to order, except on rare occasions. We really do value your

business and we understand your frustration.

If you would like to verify availability on a particular item, call our

Order Desk (1-800-882-2962) or our Customer Service Department

(1-800-888-5222) to help you.

Please reference your order number: xxxxxxx.

Thank you for shopping The Guide.

Z3, if you want to sell one of your 10 when and if you get them, please put me on your list.

Thanks!

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com