U Marked L Drum For Sale - $600

QUOTE (LIONHART @ Jan 16 2005, 01:10 PM)
This is the same Dude that was selling his 1992 27A1 WH and this Drum together for $1400.00OBO

Anybody post a heads up on that? Or am I just that far out of the loop?

• 2 weeks later...

Well guys, I suppose I'll fess up. I emailed the guy about 30 seconds after the ad hit the board and bought the drum. It is an Auto Ord marked "U" stamped drum and it looks unused inside but the outside has some blems. We tried it today in my 28A1 post sample and it runs fantastic. We filled and emptied it about 4 or 5 times with no problems at all. I couldn't get the stick mags to work though. I need to work on the feedramp a bit....seller was very good about sending pics and shipping promptly. Sounds like you all have seen his posts and maybe he has some other stuff.

Later

Frank

QUOTE (dalbert @ Jan 30 2005, 09:28 PM)
Isn't internet commerce wonderful!

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

If Buddy the board Nazi wasn't such a prick it would be nice. He is such a control freak that an ad with W.T.S will be "zapped." He doesn't like the dots after each letter. What a freak.

And dont reply about how great the free board is. He is CONSTANTLY asking for money thru his "free lunch."

Rant off...

John Jr,

I didn't intend to piss in your Cheerios...I'm really sorry if you don't like Sturmgewehr.com. You don't have to visit the site if you don't want to. You don't have to donate if you don't want to. You are the keeper of the controls...

It takes A LOT of money to run a "FREE" board with the huge and expensive bandwidth that it consumes. We currently run two "free lunches" annually to attempt to recover some of these costs. As you know, it is a voluntary donation, and most visitors to the site don't donate. (Actually, we have only had 2 "free lunches" total during the 5 1/2 year history of the website. Unfortunately, this practice has become necessary for the site to continue.) I also sell t-shirts to help pay the bills. Some of the same practices are used on the wonderful website we are both using right now...

My comment about internet commerce being great was based on how quickly the item was seen, and the speed with which amafrank was able to enjoy his new "L" drum this weekend as a result of his interaction with the seller through Sturmgewehr.com. I'm constantly amazed at how much the internet has shaped our lives, and am very happy that the site enables such commerce.

Buddy runs a tight board as its moderator. The rules help to make the site a very efficient place to buy and sell.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Hello David, I like the Strum Board, it's one of the first links I pop up each day. That being said I do think Buddy gets heavy-handed with his moderator role. As you said the "Free Lunch" is just that, free and no one is required to participate, but I saw a lot of complaining by Buddy when he didn't think people were contributing enough to it. I have also talked to one dealer who will not ever donate to it again, he donated twice before he said, because of Buddy and his publicly embarassing him because he didn't follow one of the many rules.

Also you can modify your post using the edit feature so you don't have to make a completely seperate post to correct something....just an FYI if ya didn't know about it.

Hawkeye_Joe,

Thanks for the info about the "edit" feature. I should have known that...

Granted, Buddy can be pretty heavy-handed in his moderation sometimes. The board takes a tremendous amount of his time, and he tries to make it as efficient as possible to save his time, the time of those who shop and sell on the board, and also to save on bandwidth usage.

It takes many thousands of dollars per year to keep the board running. A lot of dealers and individuals make a great deal of money from their free ads on the site. The results are apparent to most everyone who uses the site. My apologies if Buddy has hurt anyone's feelings with his methods. He's just trying to run a tight ship. I would bet the dealer you refer to still posts there, even if he will no longer donate. I thank him for any donation he has made in the past, or may care to make in the future, and hope he will continue to enjoy success from the interactions he has on the site.

Thanks for posting!

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

David, comment from another user here.

Buddies rules are tough for new guys as there are many of them that must be learned.

However, the trade off is several. First, traffic on Sturm is huge and its the place for NFA sales. Second, Buddy has booted a number of the weasels and encourages reporting of bad sellers (or buyers). Third, you don't deal with the garbage like pops up on subguns where all the seems to matter is that $5 for an ad is paid (see this link for an example). Fourth, Sturm is free and the option to donate to the FL program is just that, an option.

Also, the Albert's deserve much of the credit for keeping that place running - David, is it you or Andy who does the behind the scenes work?

philasteen,

My brother Andy owns the site, as well as some other well known sites, and does all the behind the scenes IT work. He's not big on recognition. I pay all the bills. Buddy moderates the site as he sees fit. It works well.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Strum. is my favorite site, next to this one. I like the way it is run. You don't have to wade through as many obsolete and unclear ads. You might compare Buddy to the soup Nazi on Seinfield, but let's not forget, his soup was the best in town.

I prefer to use the more politically correct term "JBT" although the implication is much the same.

Actually, I've never posted on any of the sales boards or auction sites though I've bought from several so I can only note that both Sturm and Subguns appear to be fairly well run when the yin and the yang are considered. I've seen many more of what in my opinion were misleading ads stay on other sites for much longer time than either Sturm or Subguns.

MP