Newly Manufactured Model 50 Compensators

DixieTriggerMan

This morning, I noticed a recently posted ad on Subguns.com for newly manufactured Model 50 compensators. The gentlemen who is selling them is Tom Wilkinson in Hayden, Idaho. I don't know if he is a member here or over on the other Reising board at Uzi Talk or not. Anyway, his ad states that the new compensators are identical in configuration to the originals except that they are made from thicker material to preclude blown baffles. Here is the link to his ad:

http://www.subguns.com/classifieds/index.c...query=retrieval

I have no association with the seller and I don't know anything about his compensators other than the information in his ad. I just wanted to pass along the information to the readers here. If Mr. Wilkinson has a quality product, it seems to me it would be an excellent solution for Reising owners faced with the ugly comp problem.

This morning, I noticed a recently posted ad on Subguns.com for newly manufactured Model 50 compensators. The gentlemen who is selling them is Tom Wilkinson in Hayden, Idaho. I don't know if he is a member here or over on the other Reising board at Uzi Talk or not. Anyway, his ad states that the new compensators are identical in configuration to the originals except that they are made from thicker material to preclude blown baffles. Here is the link to his ad:

http://www.subguns.com/classifieds/index.c...query=retrieval

I have no association with the seller and I don't know anything about his compensators other than the information in his ad. I just wanted to pass along the information to the readers here. If Mr. Wilkinson has a quality product, it seems to me it would be an excellent solution for Reising owners faced with the ugly comp problem.

Are Reising's comps press fit or threaded? I see that they are not pinned like Thompson's.

-Darryl

Are Reising's comps press fit or threaded? I see that they are not pinned like Thompson's.

-Darryl

Reising comps are RH threaded, 7/8-24. There is a dimple on the bottom of the comp that is upset into the barrel threads that locks it in place. Before the compensator is removed, this dimple must be carefully(!) drilled out to avoid damaging the threads on the barrel.

That's odd, it would have been better if a set type screw was used, rather than "staking" the comp.

-Darryl

Hummmmmm....are they mounted different ways? Mine had a hole drilled in the bottom of the comp and a little into the bbl. . A little rivet -like shaft was stuck in there and then pressed flush , filling out the hole and locking it all down. It appeared to be orig. mfg.

Chris

Hummmmmm....are they mounted different ways? Mine had a hole drilled in the bottom of the comp and a little into the bbl. . A little rivet -like shaft was stuck in there and then pressed flush , filling out the hole and locking it all down. It appeared to be orig. mfg.

Chris

Chris,

Its quite possible that you have a replaced comp. I believe the comp to be the weakest part on the Reising, except maybe the firing pin.

My Reising spent almost its entire life in a prison and was probably not fired during this time.

When I got it I made a steel sleeve to cover the comp and still, after 3-4 thousand rounds, one of the port spacers cracked on both sides. The sleeve held it in place but its broken.

When someone buys a replacement comp they are probably buying a comp that came off a destroyed gun. In order to get the comp off the gun they had to drill out the staking dimple. So-- the replacement comp would have a hole in it. In your case someone filed the hole with something.

I think that I will buy one of the new comps as listed above. While its not original, I will probably never find an original and even if I did , it would probably break after 4000 rds anyway.

We both must face the reality that the Reising comp is a piece of crap and should have been left off the gun.

Jim C

Tom Wilkinson did a custom comp for me (not for a Reising but for a Winchester 1907), without having any known extant comps of the type available for measurements, etc., but by using several old photos and it was spot-on. He does exemplary work!

John

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/Levallois/1907Lebman003.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I ordered one of Tom Wilkinson's comps as a spare for an "S" serial number gun I am purchasing. The comp is very nicely finished and closely duplicates the configuration of the originals. It came with very complete instructions for removal of the old compensator and installation of the new one. I am posting a couple of photos showing a side-by-side comparison of an original Reising comp on a spare barrel I have and Tom's replacement. In each photo the new compensator is on the right. The baffles on the new comp are twice as thick as on the original (.130" vs. .062") and should be a permanent solution to the broken baffle problem.

100_0572.JPG

100_0580.JPG