Who Reloads With Clays?

Jim,.. I seem to have the best luck with Bullseye, if I remember correctly about 5.2grs with 230gr. rn lead or fmj. Unique at 7.0grs as a backup.Hope this helps.KEEPEM`SMOKIN`,out. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

Clays is one of the fastest burning powders, and I didn't really consider it very suitable for TSMG .45ACP loads. I'm using AA No. 5 sucessfully, which burns quite a bit slower (though is also quite dirty), and I know a few very knowledgeable people here really like Winchester 231, which is faster than AA5, but slower than Clays, and has been said to burn pretty clean.

Take a look at the relative burning speeds at this Hodgdon link:

http://www.hodgdon.com/data/general/burnratechart.php

I think the general rule of thumb for handgun loads is that the bigger the caliber, the slower the powder needed, and rifle loads use much slower powders than handgun loads. The TSMG is kind of an unusual situation because the cartridge is a pistol cartridge being shot from a rifle.

Jim,...I use Winchester standard large pistol,unless somebody offers a super deal on another comparable primer.

I see by Hodgdon's book that they recommend Clays powder for not only shotgun but 45acp and 38spl loads. A local reloading company made up some 38spl indoor range loads for a police department with Clays powder, I believe because it is clean burning. However they had some problems with ignition and had some slugs stuck in their barrels. I got a good deal on some of this when it was returned and had about one plugged barrel per box. From the different levels of recoil and the variable sound levels from load to load it appeared that velocity was really up and down. Therefore the reason for the sputtering Thompson. Since a slug stuck in the barrel is a very bad thing for a machinegun, I would stay away from the Clays powder unless you can compress it for positive ignition. ------Super Shooter