GREAT BRITAIN - THE TOMMY GUN STORY

GREAT BRITAIN –

THE TOMMY GUN STORY

There has not been an authoritative new book written about the Thompson submachine gun since 2009; that long spell ends today! A ground breaking, thoroughly researched and completely documented publication about the iconic Tommy Gun in Great Britain during World War II has just been released.

This new book follows the Thompson Gun as it was adopted, procured and placed in service by the British military. Discover by name the people involved in the decision making process, when this American gangster gun was first issued, and the number of guns initially shipped to Britain under the first Ministry of Supply contract. This book corrects much of the misinformation that has been published over the years. Have you ever wondered what information the pundits used when discussing the number of Thompson guns lost during U-Boat attacks? For the first time you will be able to review the documented losses of Thompson guns by ship name, date of attack and number of guns lost. Are you interested in Colt Thompsons in British service? Or the early Savage Thompson guns? This is your book. Does your interest include spare parts? Read the ‘war of spares’ and review the many official parts lists included in this book – some published for the first time. Every piece of information is painstakingly documented via over 350 footnotes, most from information obtained directly from the National Archives in Great Britain and the National Archives and Record Administration in the United States.

New and old members of the Thompson community will find the chapter with many detailed pictures of the famed Thompson guns an invaluable reference. Learn the different markings and variations in an easy to use section designed as a guide through history. Learn the number of Savage receiver variations and serial number ranges in only a few pages.

The author is Tom Davis, Jr., one of the “other authors” in the current authority on the Thompson gun, The Ultimate Thompson Book. Tom is also a free-lance writer of stories about the Thompson gun, many published in Small Arms Review magazine. Many know Tom as TD., a respected member of MachineGunBoards.com. Another respected member of this Board, Mk VII, was also very involved in this book. Without Mk VII’s vast knowledge of British military history and tenacious research at the National Archives, this book would not have been possible.

Priced at $29.99, no library on the Thompson gun will be complete without this publication. Order today direct from Tom’s website:

Great shipping rates are available for the United States, Great Britain, Europe and all worldwide destinations. However, for those who live in Great Britain and Europe, Amazon.com for your country may be the better choice for delivery times and shipping costs.

New Cover published 5Jan15 m.jpg

• Upvote 3

You heard about this new book first here on Machinegunboards.com...

I want to sincerely congratulate Tom on this great accomplishment. I know he's been waiting a long time to unveil the project, and I'm just as excited to see it finally arrive for the public to see. The book is extremely well researched, and if any doubt arises as to sources, the footnotes are extensive. Everyone on this board will want to, and should order one. You will not be disappointed. Many board members also made contributions to the book. Mk VII, in particular, deserves extra thanks for his efforts in Britain that drove the project. Tom went through many iterations of proof copies to make sure it would be a quality book at a reasonable price.

Congratulations, Tom!

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

TD

Just ordered your book can't wait to start reading it. Hope you have great success with this book look forward to it making the New York Times best sellers list.

Frank

Fantastic! I really didn't expect it that soon when you

mentioned it in the other threads. Adding to my library

soon.

T Hound

Mine has arrived, according to the wife. Can't wait. I know TD has been doing loads of research for a while. Great Job Tom. I know it will be detailed.

P.S. Amazon has fast delivery. I'll have you autograph it in Louisville.

Still waiting, mine shipped today from South Carolina despite the early order date. Waiting patiently, but it will probably arrive next week while I am travelling so nobody spoil the ending!!!

Ron

Sorry, but ATF has just ruled that holding the book at arms length while reading it constitutes a repurpose of intention, and is no longer allowed without the proper paperwork.

(If you haven't been following the wrist brace news, ignore this attempt at humor)

• Upvote 1

This is something I doubt anyone else will claim:

I was actually talking on the phone with Tom when I heard a clank at the mailbox. I opened the door, picked it out of the box, and said it had arrived!

OK, here's the review:

If you have any interest in Thompsons, British or otherwise, you just plain need this in your library!

Great Job Tom!

Edited by mnshooter

Tom, my copy arrived today. All I can say is well done and when is your next book coming out?

I won't spoil the ending for Ron B. ; )

MNshooter, I wasn't on the phone with Tom when my letter carrier rang my door bell with the book in hand but I did talk to TD. on the phone today!

Edited by Bridgeport28A1

I wish to thank everyone that has purchased my book and commented publicly or privately. It was a two year project that would have never started without all the research performed by Board member Mk VII. It was his many trips to the National Archives in London that provided much of the information you can now read about. Mk VII and I were not the first ones to find this information; we were the first ones to put it into date order and make sense out of it from an historical context. It is my hope this book puts to rest much of the unsupported and misinformation published and banded about on the Tommy Gun in British service. It is also my hope this book finds its way to many gun libraries around the world.

Send me a PM if you know of a gun store that has a large book section or a gun show book seller of current titles that you think might be interested in a new book about our beloved Thompson gun. Those in the Houston area can find this new book on the shelf at Collectors Firearms, located on the corner of Fondren & Richmond. Be prepared to spend a few hours in the store if you go!

We would be glad if typos or production errors could be pointed out to TD in a PM (as distinct from errors of fact, or just different opinions which should, of course, be publicly posted). I've spotted one or two minor ones already, despite reading the text multiple times before publication.