Sten (Sterling) for Left-Handers

I like the Sten a lot, but it doesn't seem very friendly for left-handers like me.

I saw this one for sale, which has a forward hand-grip that would seem to solve the handling issues for lefties.

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4768-wtswtt-sterling-mk7-smg/

This gun seems very expensive to me, but what do those familiar with these guns think about it?

Robert

Look at a MK 5 STEN - they use a forward Grip My guess is the same grip could be adapted to a Sterling, The barrel Casing has holes that could be used for mounting a number of different grips without modifying the gun. Cant get away from the issue of the mag sticking out the left side or ejection into your side of the gun :o

I shoot them left handed and have no specific issues? I will say the MP3008 is more comfortable and better balanced. Been years since I've shot my MK5, but the grip and stock are certainly MUCH nicer to handle overall than no grip and a loop stock. Many parts kits do not include the front grip, so buyer beware.

Really depends on what you are going for. It is just easier to shoot RH. I have Sterlings, MK II and MK V STENS, Lanchesters, and have fired the MP3008 ( There was just one on the RIA auction this year. ) Not sure what you are going for as there are SMGs that are better for the LH shooter. Or if you have a STEN / Sterling and looking for better ergonomics on your gun. The Berretta 38/42 is fairly common and ejects left. Just had mine out for the first time in years, forgot it did that.

I like the Sten a lot, but it doesn't seem very friendly for left-handers like me.

I saw this one for sale, which has a forward hand-grip that would seem to solve the handling issues for lefties.

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4768-wtswtt-sterling-mk7-smg/

This gun seems very expensive to me, but what do those familiar with these guns think about it?

Robert

Best option is to learn to shoot right handed. I am left handed myself but learned to shoot long guns right handed many years ago, has paid off well. I will admit that being right eye dominate helped a great deal in that transition. Still shoot hand guns left handed.

• Upvote 1

I have a Sten Mk II. I have had it for over 30 years. I am very left handed. I have always shot it from my left shoulder. I did not realize until I saw this post, that there was any problem shooting them left handed. I have put thousands of rounds thru it.

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

I noticed in a video of a shooter shooting a MKII that the shooter was holding the bottom of the area in front of the trigger guard (where it angles up toward the back of the bolt area). This looked like a natural place to place your right hand (if you're left-handed). Is that how you hold the MKII when firing it?

• 2 weeks later...

The correct method is that the left hand grips the barrel nut and the wrist/forearm supports the mag well/mag. Obviously this wouldn't work for a lefty.

Yep, do not grasp the magazine well on the STEn or Sterling. If you think about how recoil will move the gun, it will be obvious why this will cause your shots to disperse widely. Contrary to Hollywood, this is a bad idea and very poor form! I've never felt the magazine weight on the left side affected me in the least. It's not that much weight, and you don't notice it.

There are several Lefties that shoot Sterlings at subgun matches. They seem to do just fine. The magazine change technique I saw consists of rotating the gun 90 degrees clockwise. This puts the magazine release directly underneath the thumb of the right hand.

STEns are very easy to shoot well. The only complaint I have is the front sight pyramid makes precision work difficult. The MKV use of the SMLE front sight out at the end of the barrel was a vast improvement!

• 3 months later...

Hi Robert,

I don't know the seller but I wouldn't mind :)

I sold one just like it 10 years ago for $400 less than that. Since it can go out on a F3, I'd seriously look at that one.

Enjoy,

Grasshopper

Hi Robert,

I don't know the seller but I wouldn't mind :)

I sold one just like it 10 years ago for $400 less than that. Since it can go out on a F3, I'd seriously look at that one.

Enjoy,

Grasshopper

Yes, it looked pretty nice to me. I sent an email on Friday but no reply yet. Maybe at a gun show or something. We'll see if they get back with me.

Robert