Help with New Tommy

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 skinny

skinny

• Regular Group
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 February 2021 - 07:28 PM

I'm new to Thompsons and just picked up a new AO 1927A1. I noticed the fit between the frame and the upper receiver is pretty loose. When holding it, I can feel the frame and the receiver clunking into each other if I just move it slightly. If I twist or move it from left to right you can see the gap between the frame and receiver get larger and smaller.

Below are pics of how much the gap changes between the frame & receiver when slightly twisting the rifle. Is this normal?

Tommy-Frame.jpg

Tommy-Frame2.jpg

#2 deerslayer

deerslayer

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2198 posts

Posted 13 February 2021 - 07:43 PM

Some are loose some are tight.. All normal for kahr.

#3 BillyDixon

BillyDixon

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 323 posts

Posted 13 February 2021 - 08:33 PM

somt times a good gunsmith can squeez the lower tofit better,,,like we use to do on .45 slides to fit frame better, are all the talented old timers gone ? just wondering

#4 06AngusSG

06AngusSG

RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 479 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Guns, Woodworking and Guitar... in THAT order...

Posted 20 February 2021 - 10:59 PM

Please tell me that has "MAGA" engraved into it?

#5 skinny

skinny

• Regular Group
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 06:27 PM

Please tell me that has "MAGA" engraved into it?

Yes, it does. They made a Trump version. That's why I was curious about the looseness of the fit. At almost $3000, I expected the fit to be a little better. I guess I just set my expectations a little too high.

https://www.auto-ord.../trump-thompson

Edited by skinny, 23 February 2021 - 07:41 PM.

#6 peter kohler

peter kohler

• Regular Group
  • 185 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 08:20 AM

ive got 3 thompsons.    two wiggle and the other one is tight.      doesent affect them when shooting at all.     I prefer a looser fit.   my m1 was really tight.   was bumping it apart with my right hand and the upper turned loose and sliced my wrist open to the tendons... 8 stiches fixed it up.     ive been fooling with guns for 40 years and that totally surprised me.   now I use a small rubber mallet.