What's An M1a1 Worth?

Don't want to, but I may have to sell my tommy gun. Can somebody give me a ballpark price range? Savage M1A1 in very good shape, upper and lower have matching serial numbers. It has been through an overhaul at some point, but no military depot stamp on the stock. It does have the reinforcing band on the front of the handguard. Also includes: complete parts kit, around 30 XXX mags (two brand new in the wrapper), 5 or 6 XX mags, like new 5 cell pouch & web belt (one of the ones from Russia), canvas case (half-track type). I think I have a three cell XXX pouch and an original "saving Pvt Ryan" type pouch. One or two brass cleaning rods & oiler. American Thunder books #1 and #2. On a form 4. And of course it runs great!

Thanks,

Doug

"Hi Doug - I am sending you this email because your gun is worth 8K. I am a fair person, so I am even willing to pay 9K for your gun. Please sell it to me first."

http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/nono.gif

What's the matter? Can't answer the mans question in public?

Doug-

17K for the gun.

500 for the parts kit (assuming it is whole)

600 for the XXX mags

100 for the xx mags

500 (?)for web accesories & case, rods and oiler, pouch (if originals this might be actually low)

100 for the books

Around 19K with the accessories is where I would start.

Good luck - sorry to hear you might be getting out of the hobby.

Chris.

boy I`m glad Chris is here to keep the world rotating the correct direction !

I told Doug I would be interested when he decided what he wanted for it, I offered no advice as to the value, as I feel I am not qualified to do so.

DC Chris http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/buttkick.gif

"docmolar"-

Learn to read and comprehend then.

He asked a question. He wasn't soliciting for offers. He asked for help in a public forum that you used that to privately solicit him rather then helping him. I think that is a rather shitty thing to do. I call it like I see it - your witty retorts and icons aside.

Jesus - what is this world coming to??? Everybody is in it for themselves it seems.

Chris.

noob-

"he was going to sell it, not just appraise it."

Don't want to, but I may have to sell my tommy gun

No it doesn't. Where does it say he is absolutely selling it and it is on the market? He is wondering what it would go for if he sold it.

Can somebody give me a ballpark price range?

"he said right in his post he was going to sell it"

Sounds like he was looking for a fair market value dollar amount.

I offered no advice as to the value, as I feel I am not qualified to do so.

Ain't that the truth?

Enough said.

Sell the gun for no less than 18K net to you. The rest you can ditch whenever you want.

Real world answer, for a real world question.

Don't send me an email, I don't want the damn thing.

http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Doug,

Jr. is right on point. Sell the gun by itself. You can sell it all as a package, but you will end up giving the accessories away. 18K is good price. Only you know how much you have invested and how fast you need to sell it. If you came into the gun at a great price, you could take a little less and sell it faster to a hassle free buyer. If you note that you seem to have the only M1A1 on the market at the time, you could try a little higher price if you are not in a hurry to sell. Sorry to hear you are getting out of the Thompson world. Good luck.

As with Jr., no e-mail because I do not need it.

QUOTE (DC Chris @ Mar 20 2006, 09:25 PM)
"Hi Doug - I am sending you this email because your gun is worth 8K. I am a fair person, so I am even willing to pay 9K for your gun. Please sell it to me first."

http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/nono.gif

What's the matter? Can't answer the mans question in public?

Doug-

17K for the gun.
500 for the parts kit (assuming it is whole)
600 for the XXX mags
100 for the xx mags
500 (?)for web accesories & case, rods and oiler, pouch (if originals this might be actually low)
100 for the books

Around 19K with the accessories is where I would start.

Good luck - sorry to hear you might be getting out of the hobby.

Chris.

Don't want to make "another" Z3BD hater but WTF??? He indicated he might sell it, so what is wrong with someone making sure the maybe seller person knows he has a possible buyer if needed. docmolar seems like a straight up guy.... We have had our competitions on auctions and he his not a cheap guy.... But your intimation that is was trying to cheat someone is a "cheap" shot and just pretty much a low blow.... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/nono.gif

Z3-

Saying I may shoot my Thompson does not equal the fact that I did shoot my Thompson. He asked for help determining a price, not for soliciting offers on something he may do in the future. It seems like the request for help was ignored for the potential of adding a gun to an individuals collection.

I was being tounge-in-cheek with my fake email and pointing out an example of people jumping to conclusions. It had nothing to do with aution prices or someone being cheap (other than Thompson greed)- my concern was that someone might take advantage of the potential and offer to buy it outright and undervalued if no one had answered his question... in this forum... which is exactly what the original post wanted. I must have missed the "Please send me your offers" part of the email.

Sorry you think its a low blow, but I have seen it happen in this business before. Just looking out for a board member. If you don't like my answer, sorry - I really don't care.

Chris.

"Sorry you think its a low blow, but I have seen it happen in this business before. Just looking out for a board member. If you don't like my answer, sorry - I really don't care."

Really? Wonder if the board member you called dishonest feels that you're looking out for him?

Quote:

Sorry you think its a low blow, but I have seen it happen in this business before. Just looking out for a board member. If you don't like my answer, sorry - I really don't care.

Chris.

Well usually I have found that people who think they have to jump into everything to supposedly defend everyone is covering thier own short comings. The typical beltway mentality.

Edited by docmolar

Okaaay... Don't know where the joke was Phil.... Point them it out please... and what part of "Jesus - what is this world coming to??? Everybody is in it for themselves it seems. ", did I misunderstand?

Edit for editorial...

I just have to say something at this point.... I've had major differences with you in the past, me calling you a deranged person you telling me that you are going to beat me up etc. but never have I or you claimed the other to be a dishonest person. Honor is the base line for a person as far as I'm concerned and it is a major concern to me. If a man does not have his honor/word then not much else matters. I think to put a persons honor in question with absolutely no facts to back it up is just plain 100% wrong.

Thanks Z3BD

That is what made me mad is being accused of being dishonest & a sneak by someone who did not know me, had not dealt with me, or had any idea what was going on. You can check my reputation(rating) out on the auction sites and it speaks for itself, because without your reputation & honor you have nothing !

To avoid any more feelings being hurt, I think everyone should just take a step back..........and let me purchase this for a reasonable price. Let me know if, and when, you would like to sell it. This would be a great first purchase since getting the C&R license last week. Or, if anyone else has any info on TSMGs for sale, let me know. Thanks.