1927a1 Ao/ Khar Arms

Hi All, Does anyone own or shoot a 1927A1. Made by Khar Arms / Auto Ordanance? I am still considering buying one of these Either the front pistol gripped model or the commando. I have not decided which one yet. But I do like both. They both fit my budget and I cannot afford an expensive Full Auto or 1928 Colt model. I am just looking for one to shoot for an afternoon of plinking. Semi auto is ok with me as I do not really need the fully automatic version. But what I would like for the $950.00 they retail for is function , reliability and parts/service availabilty? Is that asking for too much? From AO/ Khar Arms? I hope not because I really would like to get one of these with a warrenty. But ,do not want the aggravation of dealing with malfunctioning parts. I have a Desert Eagle .44 magnum and I have been that route when I bought it used. It works most of the time . Do not want to go that route with another semi= auto of any kind. Things that wear out thru normal use is acceptable and to be expected. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/cool.gif Thanks for your help and comments with this. JoJo

JoJo,

Not meaning to sound rude...but this topic is covered ad naseum on this board. Part of ownership should include making informed decisions, that means YOU doing your due dilligence on your potential purchase. Take the time to roll back through the pages and pages of information here on this board, all of your questions have already been answered many times over, plus some I'm sure you haven't even thought of. It is all a matter of how far you want to pursue that perfect semi-auto.

QUOTE (resxuz5378 @ Mar 18 2006, 01:03 PM)
Hi All, Does anyone own or shoot a 1927A1. Made by Khar Arms / Auto Ordanance?  I am still considering  buying one of these  Either the  front pistol gripped model or the commando. I have not decided which one yet.  But I do like both.  They both fit my budget and I cannot afford an expensive  Full Auto or 1928 Colt model. I am just looking for one to shoot  for an afternoon of plinking.  Semi auto is ok with me as I do not really need the fully automatic version.  But what I would like for  the $950.00 they retail for is function , reliability and parts/service availabilty? Is that asking for too much? From AO/ Khar Arms?  I hope not because I really would like to get one of these with a warrenty. But ,do not want the aggravation of dealing with malfunctioning parts. I have a Desert Eagle .44 magnum and I have been that route when I bought it used. It works most of the time .  Do not want to go that route with another semi= auto of any kind. Things that wear out thru normal use is acceptable  and to be expected. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/cool.gif  Thanks for your help and comments with this. JoJo

I bought the 1927A1 Deluxe w/50 round drum a few months ago. The drum rails were not formed correctly and the drum would not lock on the carbine. I contacted Kahr and they told me to go through my dealer. I returned the drum to the dealer, they returned it to Kahr and it was eventually replaced. The replacement drum locked on but would not feed consistently.

The carbine seemed to work O.K. with stick mags but began to have failures to feed correctly later (while waiting for the drum to return). The rear sight kept vibrating loose and Loc Tite didn't help. The metal on the receiver that the sight screws threaded into was very thin catching only a thread or two from the screws.

I complained to Kahr again and they offered to replace everything with new product, tested at the factory.

I'm currently waiting six weeks for the replacement. I haven't fully decided whether to sell the replacement "on consignment" as NIB or give it another try as the Kahr service manager suggested.

If I had it to do all over again, I would definitely stay away from the Kahr drums. I might go for the GI style that takes only stick mags. Unfortunately now I have lost confidence in Kahr and their Thompson products. YMMV Good luck with whatever you decide.

http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif Thanks for the imput. I have been checking out the previus posts here as well as doing internet searches . Well, from what I can tell it seems to be a gamble with them. But they get their money either way. Like I said in my first post I went this route when I bought a used Desert eagle. I replaced every spring in it. And, it still works most of the time. Maybe I will go with a US made AK like Arsenal Inc. makes. Although I do like the weight and looks of the Thompson. But thanks for the replys and help. JoJo

JoJo,

It may not be my place to welcome you to this board, as I too am a recent new member, but I will anyway. You have come to the right place to inquire about the Kahr. I have been amazed at the information I have gleaned from reading the current, and especially the past posts. This is trully a group of people willing to help, and blow you some s__t when appropriate. Regarding your decision weather to buy a Kahr, I wanted to share my experience, which may or not be typical. I purchased a M1 last October. To me, it is the "Thompson" I have wanted for a long time, at a price I could afford. I experienced no problems with it until I tried to run a magazine of Wolf ammo through. I wish I had known of this board prior to that. The result was a bent extractor that sheared away from the bolt. (I hope I got that right, I am still learning the parts). The folks at Kahr were extremly helpful, and replaced my parts within a week. I have since run approximatly 1000 rounds through my M1 with nothing but fun as a result. Again, mine may not be a typical experience, but for my money, I could'nt be more pleased. I have just recieved my Form 1 back to change it to a SBR, and until I have a spare 10-20 grand, my Kahr "Thompson" will more than satisfy my "Thompson-itis". I wish you well whatever decision you make.

Cotton

I bought a 1927 dlx a few years back. It was a nice gun for the money. It ran flawlessly on 30 round stick mags, never tried the drum, 10 round drum at that. Used all types of ammo, even BLazer, no troubles what so ever. A co worker liked it more, so i sold it to him. Now i just bought a very nice West Hurley. Hope that one works as well as the Kahr did. Good luck