• Board Benefactor
  • 194 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 04:40 PM

HyGQu6.jpg
mW4ZWP.jpg
429p9P.jpg
uhjVLK.jpg
Kdv75T.jpg

Well I know now my stock and hardware is correct...Its triple matching    .My pistol grip may or may not be correct and the foregrip is not marked with an S
and maybe its wood that was supposed to go on a Colt?

#22 huggytree

huggytree

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 2318 posts
  • Interests:Fast cars, Guns, Work

Posted 04 September 2018 - 05:52 PM

ive been offered a stock all 3 # matching from a forum member for $550....i didnt buy it for that price, i walked away as at the time i felt it was over market(but who really knows)..... its a pretty rare thing you have...and metal condition on your stock hardware looks like brand new.....amazing stuff harris!

you made me pull out my printouts of colt vs S1928 front grips...the arch i think is too high to be a S1928 grip...more colt to me..your arch goes all the way into the top horizontal part of your grip...while a S1928 has a tiny bit hanging below it on its arch

ive owned (2) untouched S1928 front grips and each was different when studied closely....so i dont believe any 2 grips are 100% the same....had yours had a S in it id still consider it could be a S1928 grip even though the arch looks wrong....im not a colt grip expert, but looks like there's a chance it could be a colt....i think in this case the S1928 grip is more valuable(or has been in the past ($1550 on ebay auction))....i paid $750-850 for my S1928 front grip after years or searching.....just to give you a value....talking price is rude to some, but its good to know the market or at least what another idiot(me) paid as we have the same gun and want both to be the best they can be....

amazing condition is all i can say over all..... 

Edited by huggytree, 04 September 2018 - 05:53 PM.

#23 Atllaw

Atllaw

• Regular Group
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 07:17 PM

Is there any rhyme or reason as to the numbering? Did they just number the parts sets as they made them?

#24 Grease Gunner

Grease Gunner

RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 194 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 08:08 PM

Is there any rhyme or reason as to the numbering? Did they just number the parts sets as they made them?

I will tell you , grasshopper. The stocks and buttplate numbers are called assembly numbers.

The metal is fitted to the wood and separates for finishing and then they can match them up later

Has nothing to do with the serial of the gun.Just has to do with each other. 

#25 Atllaw

Atllaw

• Regular Group
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 08:38 PM

Good info. Thanks

#26 indochinavet

indochinavet

• Regular Group
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 05:48 AM

Yes both your vertical grip and buttstock on this 17k Savage appears to be Colt ones, the shape of the grip and its lack of marking are very strong indicators. For the buttstock, the lack of sling swivel and possibly an anchor mark on the front

section below the buttstock latch would be the confirmation.

HyGQu6.jpg
mW4ZWP.jpg
429p9P.jpg
uhjVLK.jpg
Kdv75T.jpg

Well I know now my stock and hardware is correct...Its triple matching    .My pistol grip may or may not be correct and the foregrip is not marked with an S
and maybe its wood that was supposed to go on a Colt?

#27 gijive

gijive

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2589 posts
  • Interests:Thompson SMG, WWII, Firearms in general.

Posted 05 September 2018 - 09:37 AM

Indochinavet,

The front pistol is definitely a Colt grip, but the buttstock is Savage made.  Only the earliest Savage buttstocks had the assembly number stamped in three places (wood, butt plate, and slide latch).  They stopped numbering the slide latches as production increased with the demand for guns as WWII progressed.  Remington made Colt buttstocks did not have the assembly number stamped on the slide latch.

Edited by gijive, 05 September 2018 - 09:38 AM.

#28 huggytree

huggytree

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 2318 posts
  • Interests:Fast cars, Guns, Work

Posted 05 September 2018 - 01:20 PM

now to find someone to swap you a colt front grip for a S1928 one.....guaranteed! a forum member has one in his stockpile

#29 Grease Gunner

Grease Gunner

RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 194 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 08:50 AM

Thank you board members!! I never expected this treasure trove of information to come forward 

from me posting pics of a recent acquisition!!