Relaxed/Weak Recoil Springs for WH M1 Carbine

Newbie here. I just purchased a 1995 Model Thompson West Hurley M1 Semi Auto. Being an old guy, I find I'm having difficulty pulling the bolt to the rear because of some exceptionally stiff Recoil Springs. I'm in the process of purchasing an extended Bolt Handle, which I understand might help in getting the bolt to the rear without looking like an invalid, but I'm also told there may be some Recoil Springs out there that will also give me a little help.

I had a fully-auto Thompson M1 in Vietnam that I carried for several months and for the life of me I can't remember it being this hard. Of course I was 50 years younger and had a little better umpf.

Do any of you guys know of such a thing as relaxed or weaker springs that are suitable for this? Thanks in advance.

Thanks OldTrooper. That's gotta beat the hell out of busting my knuckles. I'll try and contact him.

I'm in the process of purchasing an extended Bolt Handle

I have a barely used extended bolt handle that you can buy from me if you'd like to save some $$$.

Kahr wants $38.50 + $5.00 shipping.

You can have it for $35.00 shipped!

PM me for details...

Edited by Hossbreed45

FWIW, your M1 in Vietnam did, in fact, have a lower force recoil spring. The full auto Thompsons fire from a heavy open bolt so the bolt has a substantial forward inertia. The semi auto is closed bolt and the bolt is considerably lighter than a full auto bolt, so during firing the recoil spring has to hold the bolt closed pretty much on its own.

Welcome, and Enjoy your Thompson!

Hossbreed45 I've already ordered one. I got in a hurry to fix the problem. Thanks for the help.

For those who might be following my issue, I received the extended bolt handle today, took the opportunity while field stripping the gun to clean it, and installed the new bolt handle. It was just the ticket. Guess I just couldn't get enough grip on the older one, but now it's no problem. I also noticed while I had it apart that the springs and spring guide comes out without a lot of pressure, so I doubt that weaker springs were necessary.

Thanks to those of you who offered me help and advice.