Current Prices For M-14

newtommygunner

I seem to see m-14 prices all over the place.they don't seem to popular on this forum, although i've been a m-14 fan since my military days i havn't the faintest what a ex example of a converted springfield is worth. any help appriciated. tks mike

Hi, Mike,

I assume we're talking about original USGI M14s. All are classified as machine guns, even though 90% were produced without the selector switches installed. The few avialable are transferable machineguns, and are very rare. You'd be looking at $20K and right on up, for an original gun.

Other legal original M14s are from Phoenix Arms and Hahn Machine Tool Co. Both are rewelds, and the Phoenix guns are full auto, with selectors. The Hahn M14s are semi auto only and do not require transfer, as they do not fall under NFA rules. The Hahn guns have the reputation of being quality rewelds. I have no knowledge about the Phoenix rewelds in this regard. I've seeen Hahn rewelds recently in the $6K range, and guns from Phoenix at just over $10K.

A few years back, MKS of Grafton, W. Va., did high quality semi auto M14 rewelds, using Hahn's prior approval. The BATF ruled that these guns were machineguns, and I understand that they were confiscated from their owners, who forfeited the receivers but were allowed to keep the rest of the parts.

I've also seen transferable full auto M14s from the "new" Springfield Armory, but these are few and rare, and were all made before 1986.

Original, uncut, transferable M14s are rare to the point that they are among the Grails of gun collecting. I wish that I could find one!

Hope that this helps.

• Upvote 1

Hi, Mike,

I assume we're talking about original USGI M14s. All are classified as machine guns, even though 90% were produced without the selector switches installed. The few avialable are transferable machineguns, and are very rare. You'd be looking at $20K and right on up, for an original gun.

Other legal original M14s are from Phoenix Arms and Hahn Machine Tool Co. Both are rewelds, and the Phoenix guns are full auto, with selectors. The Hahn M14s are semi auto only and do not require transfer, as they do not fall under NFA rules. The Hahn guns have the reputation of being quality rewelds. I have no knowledge about the Phoenix rewelds in this regard. I've seeen Hahn rewelds recently in the $6K range, and guns from Phoenix at just over $10K.

A few years back, MKS of Grafton, W. Va., did high quality semi auto M14 rewelds, using Hahn's prior approval. The BATF ruled that these guns were machineguns, and I understand that they were confiscated from their owners, who forfeited the receivers but were allowed to keep the rest of the parts.

I've also seen transferable full auto M14s from the "new" Springfield Armory, but these are few and rare, and were all made before 1986.

Original, uncut, transferable M14s are rare to the point that they are among the Grails of gun collecting. I wish that I could find one!

Hope that this helps.

thks for the info, just what I was looking for, very much appriciated. I'll make copy so that as I scan ads I won't be be so canfused. tks again. mike

• 10 months later...

Question -

I don't understand this .

To the best of my information once receivers are demilled they can be rewelded and built into legal semis as that is considered new manufacturing .At least I have seen several such examples that were done this way and treated as a title one firearm .Is it possible MKS only removed the auto sear lug, as that would not be acceptable .

Thank you,

hagar

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Question -

I don't understand this .

To the best of my information once receivers are demilled they can be rewelded and built into legal semis as that is considered new manufacturing .At least I have seen several such examples that were done this way and treated as a title one firearm .Is it possible MKS only removed the auto sear lug, as that would not be acceptable .

Thank you,

hagar

That was the stance taken by MKS. It was a long and involved case, but (IIRC) the opinion of one BATF office was used to overturn that of another. MKS had already made and sold a number of guns, and BATF produced a list of those to be confiscated, by serial number. I had the chance to examine only one MKS M14 (an H&R) 'way back when, during the short time in which they were legal. It was beautifully done. You could not tell that it was a reweld, and the owner stated that it functioned and shot beautifully. I asked that he field strip the gun so that I could examine the selector lug, as the gun had a selector button but no switch. It looked to me as though the receiver's selector lug had been neatly welded up so that it full auto parts could not be installed, although it was still there under the weld.

I remember one photo posted at the time. A gentleman had bought four MKS M14s, one from each manufacturer, and each was built up of pristine parts from only that manufacturer, or properly marked parts from the correct sub-contractors. They were gorgeous. They are parts kits today, or have been used on other builds with "approved" receivers. I understand that BATF confiscated the receivers only, and had no interest in the other parts, giving the owner a long period of time in which to comply.

Edited by TSMGguy

Well aside from removing the lug what other modifications would need to be done to reweld them into legal ssemis?

There's a bit more to it than that. The MKS guns kept the selector lug, as that is how the disconnector was retained. The disconnector trips the sear during full auto fire, but it also serves to keep the gun from disassembling itself when it's fired, as it fills the receiver's op rod disassembly slot. As the BATF does not allow disconnectors or receivers with disconnector slots, all present day "approved" receivers had to be re-engineered without these features.

MKS rewelded M14 receivers had ALL of the features of USGI M14s, except the ability to mount an operable selector switch.

Edited by TSMGguy

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
The are also many Smith Ent. Registered receiver guns built up with GI part, that is what I picked up 21 years ago for $1175 :D

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/8792/m14e22.jpg

I'll give u $1176 for it.

Speaking of the `Holy Grail`...just sold a Winchester that was uncut...the name recognition is what cemented the deal... :rolleyes:

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
I believe Dave in Charlestown, IN has been trying to sell his re-weld Winchester M14 for over a year. It was at 14K and I believe he dropped the price. I don't know if it has sold. It was offered on either subguns.com or sturmgewehr.

• 5 months later...

Well here is an update on prices...Dick Wray`s M14 sold last month at auction...after deducting buyer/seller premium,it netted over $38,000.00.. :o

• 1 year later...

Hi, Mike,

Hope that this helps.

I was lucky enough about 12 years ago to pick up a mint Devine,TX factory select fire M1A with GI bipod, stabilizer 10 GI 20 round mags in 5 GI pouches in an E2 stock I wonder what it would go for now?

I recently found and purchased a new in the box and unfired, Springfield Armory Inc. M14/M1A, for a buddy of mine for $15,000.00 He was happy with the price. Rock Island Arsenal did all the conversions for SAI back pre 86. They sport both op rod dismount notch locations is how you tell easily by looking.

The law states that if the batfe can make them function full auto in 4 hrs 15 minutes, then they will be disapproved. The MKS also blew it because the rest of the law states that the receivers cannot have any single one of the characterstics of a select fire rifle. They left the lug, then there is the notch up front to capture the connector arm assembly, and finally the connector arm notch/op rod dismount notch.

The original M14's will not disassemble when fired without the connector arm assembly installed, unelss the op rod tab is worn out completely thin. Ask me how I know....haa.

In answer to your question of what exactly you have to do to reweld one to get a variance letter on orginals approved.......not gonna happen. Once a machine gun, always a machine gun, according to our batfe guy at the shop. Dealer samples may get approved for the real deal reweld though, for proper FFL holders....and then only one, or two if you have letter from military or law enforcement stating their intentions to buy many, many rifles. Anything else must go through TEPAC for approval first.

Yes. The original receivers made for the military ( select fire ), Had the notch in the middle of the op rod rail. This notch is dual purpose. It is a detent housing of sorts for the small nipple or protrusion on the inside of the connector arm assembly, to limit front and back travel and keep it equidistant from receiver right surface, and it is to facilitate assembly and disassembly of the op rod.

On SAI receivers, they left the factory with a standard civilian type, rear take down op rod notch, then were sent to Rock Island to have the middle notch cut in them and full auto conversion done, hence two take down notches. You could actually do a conversion without the middle notch, but you would have to grind off the nipple or detent from the connector arm......and do about 25 years for it.

Freakin psychopath politicians. They think their opinions are the word of god. That is what the law is, the "opinions" of legislators (lawyers), of how you should live your life. I simply refer to them as jackasses. I think they forgot we are free and have all the freedoms our forefathers fought and died for. Like, the right to bear arms. It doesn't say what kind of arms on purpose. What their law does say, is that a badge does not grant extra rights in this country....therefore, if a cop can carry a machinegun in his cruiser, so can we. Their law also says that the constitution must be interpreted as it was meant then, now. You cannot change it's meaning to suit yourself today.....Hence my terminology for them,...jackasses.

Sorry for the history and law lesson speach.... just went through a bunch of crap with the agent in our area at the shop. He is big on opinions, and no facts or laws to back it up. Off my soap box now. Venting complete.

• 1 year later...

Hi, I am a new member here and I purchased a Smith Enterprises M14 built with a billet steel receiver with the E2 stock assembly. This one has the FAXXXX serial number. I was told by some very knowledgeable guys that this is #2 behind the original uncut M14.

I had an original M14 for a while. Actually a M14 NM. I used to have fun with my friends who were fooling around with re-welds by letting them look for the weld. At one time we had 16 of these rifles but during Iraqi Freedom the Army took them all back. Gave us a whopping $100 apiece for them. Used the money to buy a couple AR-15s.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

There is a m14 winchester on subguns now. The seller is in Florida and he is asking 38.5K I assume this is not a rewat? I have not contacted the seller yet but does anyone have any opinions on this weapon?

Be careful and ask a LOT of questions when buying an M14. There are a lot more "rewelds" than original uncut M14s.

When I was looking for one, I posted a wanted to buy, a lot of those responding didn't know that they had a cut and welded receiver until I asked them who was listed as the manufacturer on the form. It was usually Fleming, Erb or one of many C2 manufacturers. A few even told me that despite the C2 manufacturer listed on the form, the guy who sold it to them told them the receiver was never really cut. I explained that in that case, the gun would be contraband.

A few potential sellers didn't know what a welded receiver M14 was, all they knew is they had an M14.

(I had a similar experience with MP40 tube gun owners, all they knew was they had an MP40)

Buyer beware

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I came across an original U S G I M14 Rifle at an estate sale. I had always wanted an M 14, but never had a chance to get one. after reading thequotes on this forum, I am totally lost. every one makes it sound like you can't own an M14. what's up with this?

You can own an M14, there are several options

There are several "different" M14s in a general order of preference.

1. An original M14 as issued, with an original receiver that was never cut. Not many out there...there are a few Amnesty registered, the DOE guns and those from the H&R Bankruptcy auction. Total est about 75-100 in the system. Expensive, 25-35k> Originals were made by the (original government) Springfield Armory, Winchester, H&R and TRW.

2. M14s, M1A etc GI parts with commercially made receivers: Springfield Armory Inc, Smith Ent. and a few others. Many were converted from semi-autos.

3. M14s with receivers that were cut into pieces and welded back together. The welds can usually be spotted under close examination. On the registration form the manufacturer will be Fleming, Erb someone other than an original GI contractor.

4. There are very few pre-may and post-may dealer sample M14s. Many are Chinese mfg M14s