Has Anyone Mounted A Buttstock To A Thompson Pistol?

I ask because I have a line on a Kahr Thompson TA5 and if I can get a buttstock mounted then I'd like to buy it, then apply for the tax stamp. Once it's approved just pick up a stock and go to work. I can then add a forward pistol grip and have a SBR in the process.

Thoughts anyone?

Just "pick up a stock" and look at it and the TA5. You will need to do some milling and attach a mounting plate.

Still looks cobbled.

Depending on whether you want a detachable 28 stock, the other three choices are:

Modify a GI trigger housing to work with your semi.

Buy a detachable stock semi rifle and SBR it.

Drill and tap the TA5 aluminium to take the screws of an M1 buttstock.

Deerslayer and Reconbob are two places to go for this work.

Edited by mnshooter

I reckon if you do this you will be in trouble... if that barrel is under 16", and the pistol is, I am not sure you can put a stock on it! It becomes a SBR!

But if you could, can't a detachable stock plate (available) be installed in the lower and you are in business?

I reckon if you do this you will be in trouble... if that barrel is under 16", and the pistol is, I am not sure you can put a stock on it! It becomes a SBR!

But if you could, can't a detachable stock plate (available) be installed in the lower and you are in business?

That's why the plan would be to pick up the pistol and then send in my form for the stamp. Once it's approved to add the stock it's an SBR so adding a pistol grip is no problem either.

Just "pick up a stock" and look at it and the TA5. You will need to do some milling and attach a mounting plate.

Still looks cobbled.

Depending on whether you want a detachable 28 stock, the other three choices are:

I think I'll want to go with a detachable stock. I think it'll only look cobbled if not done well unless...

My next question is: What are the differences in the receivers between the Kahr rifle and pistol 1927a1's? I have been looking but haven't been able to see much if any difference at all.

That's why the plan would be to pick up the pistol and then send in my form for the stamp. Once it's approved to add the stock it's an SBR so adding a pistol grip is no problem either.

Still looks cobbled.

I think I'll want to go with a detachable stock. I think it'll only look cobbled if not done well unless...

My next question is: What are the differences in the receivers between the Kahr rifle and pistol 1927a1's? I have been looking but haven't been able to see much if any difference at all.

The obvious difference is the two tapped holes (for the M1 buttstock screws) on the rifle.

If you could put a detachable grip frame next to it the other differences between them will be obvious.

I ask because I have a line on a Kahr Thompson TA5 and if I can get a buttstock mounted then I'd like to buy it, then apply for the tax stamp. Once it's approved just pick up a stock and go to work. I can then add a forward pistol grip and have a SBR in the process.

Thoughts anyone?

Why? Just buy a 27A1 and SBR it. The pistol configuration has value as a pistol why screw it up? I don't get your logic I guess. The pistol is worth a couple bucks so you might be able to sell it and pay for the tax stamp.

Edited by Z3BigDaddy
  • Upvote 1

I gotta say....I don't get it either. Why would you want some cobbled together SBR? To save a few bucks? I'm not even sure you would save anything by time your all done with it. When you are done with it, you still will have an aluminum receiver which I think most of us would agree is inferior to a steel receiver.

Pretty sure it's illegal. Kahr got around the SBR, by making it without the buttstock, so you add a buttstock and it becomes an SBR in the eyes of the law.

Basically it's like buying a Kahr Deluxe A1 with the removable butt stock and hacking down the barrel.

As I recall, it's a $250,000 fine and or 10 years in jail. ?

Anyway, good luck with the project either way.

OCM

• Upvote 1

It's definitely illegal, without submitting the form and getting the stamp. That's why in laid out in the first post how I'd go about it.

Thank you OCM for not being so one-sided on this.

I'm going to do some more homework on this because I fail to see how a professional job will look cobbled when there's no example to base that opinion from. Maybe I'll pick up a pistol and rifle version so that I can lay them side by side to get a better idea.

At the risk of sounding "one-sided", here are my thoughts (which you asked for in your original post). After rereading your posts, it's not clear to me that you understand that you can not just slide a stock onto a Thompson pistol. You will have to mount an adaptor plate to slide the stock on. Not sure what the cost of doing this is but I guessing a $300 - $400 for mounting plate, stock assembly & gunsmithing. Now.....mounting a slide on stock adaptor plate to a Thompson pistol is, IMHO, going to look cobbled. The other way to do it would be to convert a full auto frame to semi configuration, this option would look much less cobbled but also would be much more expensive. You would need to buy the full auto frame & stock, then pay to have it converted to semi configuation. Then, as I mentioned before, you would still have an inferior aluminum receiver.
  • Upvote 1

eagle-co94,

This should be on the semi forum but no big deal to me. The diffference in the pistol and rifle are several. One is the alum. reciever the other is in the lower behind the trigger frame it goes stright back with a curve on the bottom almost to the rear of the reciever.

To install a 1928 butt stock you would need to mill out the back end of the trigger housing then install a quick release kit to be able to slide the 28 butt stock.

To install a M1A1 butt stock the trigger housing would have to be milled with 2 studs sticking out that could be tapped for the M1A1 butt stock.

The best thing to do is buy a 1927A1 SBR it and find a 28 parts kit with barrel and the have the trigger housing modified so it will slide on your 1927A1.

Yes it is a little more expensive but when done you will have a fun gun to shoot and will look good. The pistol is worth more as a pistol and if you put a butt stock on it you probably won't be happy with it and will be hard to sell.

Just my 2cents good luck whichever way you go.

Frank

• Upvote 1

Thanks for all the replies. I'm fully aware that it's not just a plug and play process to add a stock to a pistol. The milling doesn't sound very challenging with the right equipment, but I don't think I want to start modifying the trigger housing, so maybe the 1928 idea is more than i'm willing to get involved in.

I don't think you like the answers you are getting but in history you will sit right beside those people who cut dovetails in the slide and stipled the grips on WWI Colt 1911's.... JMHO

EDIT for clarity: No, I am not comparing a Kahr to a Colt's 1911 pistol...

Edited by Z3BigDaddy

I don't think modifying an antique vs modifying a readily available and not uncommon firearm are the same. You are correct that I don't like a lot of the answers that I'm hearing because there are a lot of responses the jump straight to "that's illegal" when that issue was addressed first, and the second common response is that it will look cobbled when there is no evidence that it'll look poorly done as it apparently hasn't been done before. When I asked for clarification on the obvious differences only one person was overly helpful.

It was mentioned that this thread was posted in the wrong section, so if a moderator could move it, that would be greatly appreciated.

the second common response is that it will look cobbled when there is no evidence that it'll look poorly done as it apparently hasn't been done before.

You asked for OPINIONS, opinions do not require evidence. They are what they are. Mine is that if I saw a Thompson pistol modified as you described.....it would look cobbled but it's your money and in the end....only your opinion counts, well......at least until it comes time to sell it. :unsure:

• Upvote 1

Thoughts anyone?

eagle-c094,

Welcome to the board...

Your first statement in this post is what caused some concern. It may not be immediately apparent to you as the author, but if you will take a step back, and read it again, you may see that it can be interpreted 2 ways...

1. You plan to mount the buttstock, then apply for the tax stamp (very bad idea)
  2. You plan to determine if it's possible to mount a buttstock, then buy the gun, then apply for the tax stamp, then mount the buttstock (OK)

So that explains why you received some concerned responses. You will find that many people here are very knowledgeable. It's not your average gun board, and there are no other gun boards that compare on the subject of Thompsons. For that reason, folks here will want to guide you in the right direction, particularly when your opening statement is considered.

If you want to change the pistol into an NFA registered SBR, that is your choice. My opinion is that you will be much happier with a steel receiver 1927-A1, and making it into an NFA registered SBR. Again, that's just my opinion. I believe this warrants some further thought on your part, because I think you will be much happier in the short and long run.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

eagle-co94,

I may have missed this but are you planing on doing the machine work yourself or sending it out? That will make a big difference on which way to go. If you don't have a gun yet the cheapest way would buy a Kahr SBR with detachable Butt-stock. If you do your own work and have access to a mill getting a 1927A1 I think would be the way to go. If going this route you need to get Doug Richardson's book on semi's, he has in this book what you need to do to put a 28 lower on a semi reciever. His webb sight www.thompsonsmg.com It will be very helpful to you.

My best suggestion would be to take your time and check out all your alternatives and ask questions on this board it will save you a lot of time and money.

Frank

• Upvote 1

Thanks guys, I can see how the wording can be confusing. I like my security clearance and freedom, so I'm doing anything illegal. I plan to do all of the work myself, just like I do on my cars. I have a hard time justifying paying someone else to do what I can do on my own. Knowing the time it takes right now for a stamp I'm not in a rush for anything, but I'm in the market and may pick up a few to compare and look at in person before starting paperwork. I'm not in a rush, but definitely don't want a 16" barrel.

I plan to do all of the work myself, just like I do on my cars. I have a hard time justifying paying someone else to do what I can do on my own. Knowing the time it takes right now for a stamp I'm not in a rush for anything, but I'm in the market and may pick up a few to compare and look at in person before starting paperwork. I'm not in a rush, but definitely don't want a 16" barrel.

Eagle,

I have to agree with everyone else. IMO unless you are able to build one from a parts kit & 80% receiver and you want a semi that looks as close as possible to the real thing, get a 1927A1 and SBR it. Using a GI trigger frame is a great plus. As GIO mentioned D Richardson's Semi book shows how it's done. It is not that difficult, milling cut and milling or grinding some FC parts to clear the selector switch. Nothing in the world of "Thompsons" is cheap including the semi's. Give some thought to what you are really looking for.

I agree on the barrel length, the barrel lenght on the 1927A1 is bad and looks worse on the M1. Green Mountain Barrel makes a finned Tommy barrel that is 14+". With the compensator permanently (see ATF NFA Handbook) installed it is 16" , 2" shorter than the Kahr 16" barrel + 2"+ of compensator. It doesn't look too bad on the 1927A1.

Unless you are building the SBR from parts you must have your rifle's serial number to apply for a Form 1 SBR . I got one last Oct. It took 6 mo. I've heard current number is 8mo.

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys, I can see how the wording can be confusing. I like my security clearance and freedom, so I'm doing anything illegal. I plan to do all of the work myself, just like I do on my cars. I have a hard time justifying paying someone else to do what I can do on my own. Knowing the time it takes right now for a stamp I'm not in a rush for anything, but I'm in the market and may pick up a few to compare and look at in person before starting paperwork. I'm not in a rush, but definitely don't want a 16" barrel.

First off, welcome to the board if I didn't already say it. Second, don't fret about any "rough" treatment--it's somewhat easy to get offended if you take it personally. The guys are pretty much opinionated, well actually we all are opinionated. But the advice behind the opinions are well meant and designed to keep you out of jail. But the rough sounding stuff you should just ignore. Just stick with reason and everything will come out fine. I have found that Dalbert is correct when he says this is an excellent Thompson site. There are Thompson homemade Semi builders here as

well as TSMG owners--and don't we all wish we fit that category--and these people know their legal stuff because they have to. So do all the builders; and, so will you given time. Keep at it and keep with the forum because it is well worth being on here. You will also rapidly find out how not to push temper buttons--unless you want too. :banghead: Now as for the aluminum receiver I gotta agree with the guys that it is not the best way to go. I have an aluminum trigger frame (what some people wrongly call the lower receiver) and it is wearing fast. Best to go with steel. If you are into milling and have the capablity, then a good way to go is with a so called 80% receiver. Both ReconBob (Philadelphia Ordnance) and Doug Richardson sell tsmg recievers, and Doug sells semis too. There is plenty of good advice if you go that route. Hope that helps brother. Fell straight into it myself when I joined on this site but everything's gone fine ever since. :)

Edited by T Hound

After getting approved paperwork...You can do this, and make it look OK and be fairly cheap. First pick up a GI buttstock, you might get one with all the metal for $100. Then get/make a piece of plate steel that will slide into the slide assembly. After that, you mill your lower down the correct length and thickness so that plate will fit exactly into place and it won't look "cobbled" together. Drill and tap a few holes and screw it in place. You can do it on the cheap side, and have fun. You can buy an adaptor plate that will eliminate one of those steps. Get a vertical front grip and screw it on. You can do all this if you are handy with tools and like to work in the shop.

All that said, if you are going to shoot your gun very much, I'd stay away from an aluminum receiver gun. As others mention, they will wear fast. Other opinions previously expressed are valid, but I think this answers your original questions of yes, it could be done.

Dan

T Hound and Dan, thank you so much for the info on the aluminum frames! I plan to fire mine occasionally, but I will likely put 50+ rounds through it each month so I'm not interested in something that won't hold up over time.