Has Anyone Mounted A Buttstock To A Thompson Pistol?

Why not just buy the M1SB? It's already in the configuration that you want.

http://www.auto-ordn...ompson-M1SB.asp

That's actually not the configuration that I want. I'd like too use drums and I want a forward vertical grip. Do you know someone that has a T1B50D in stock that doesn't have a ridiculous markup on it? Tommygunner.com has them for $1639 shipped, BUT it looks like 3-6 months for it to come in minimum.

Well brother, if you were in California I would say that was a damn good price, but since

you are not the only thing you can do is go to a local shop and ask them how much

one would cost you as a comparison. The wait sucks but It doesn't beat the one I

had, 9 months, and the argument I had with the ffl's idiot supplier before I won th argument

and finally got it. That was epic, but I wanted the semi Thompson that bad. I have no regrets.

I got my Thompson SA and then another with a ffl who knows the law and didn't have a

stupid distributor.

Edited by T Hound

• 3 months later...

Question; as a Mauser broomhandle owner, it has always been my understanding that you are legal until you install the stock. Ditto for TC Contenders. Is this only because the set up has legal configurations (the broomhandle stock is a holster and the contender can be fitted with longer barrels, or can you have both parts in the same car, on the same bench, etc and still be legal) even if there is no legal way to assemble them?

Edited by guns4951

The whole SBR issue is one of the more complicated, because it all depends on which came first, the barrel or the stock?

(Answer: the barrel first fits, or you won't get an aquit) A careful reading of the rules is always in order.

In addition, the SBR can be converted anytime into or out of NFA-SBR status, just by removing the qualifying parts.

As a non-NFA, you can then loan it to someone else, or sell it, etc., the same as any other over the counter firearm.

Or, just replace the qualifying part(s), and it's back to a NFA-SBR, so long as the form 1 remains in effect with the owner.

Some of the original Lugers and Broomhandles are now allowed to have the original stock without NFA paperwork.

A modern replica stock will not qualify for this.

Once again, read the rules.

Edited by mnshooter

• 7 months later...

There are 2 guys on hear that can the work you want done, and they are very good. Get the tommy you want and your STAMP first, talk with these guys and see who will do the job. These guys some times give to much info, ok most of the time they give to much info. Its not what they would do that matters, or what they would if they where you, but what you want to do. Jim

Thank you everyone for the latest interest in the subject. I decided to just get a detachable stock Thompson and then apply to make it a SBR. I think that's the easiest route as it also puts a Thompson in the hands of the owner that much quicker.

eagle-co94,

That is probably The be your best bet. Or if you could fine a parts kit with a good barrel then you could modify the lower to fit your regular 1927 and you would have a SBR and all the detachable wood.

You should be able to find a 1927 Kahr at a good price on Gunbroker or at a gun show.

Just trying to save you some time and money.

Frank

Doug Richardson has Butt Stock kits, for maybe $50 with shipping.

I came across a 1927A built in the Mid-70's, and put the Richardson Butt Stock kit on it, through my local gunsmith.

Looks great with 14.5 Green Mountain Barrel, welded Comp on it.( NJ)

The BIG problem is there are plenty of bare 1928 Butt Stocks out there, it's the metal.

I went up to SARCO last July with the intent to buy a complete stock with their Repro metal for $99.00

They were out of stock, sorry for the pun.

SARCO was also Repo-ing the Stock Slide for $50 because these were not available. Also out of stock, sorry for pun.

I purchased their last 21/28 Butt Plate, that needed work.

But this was last July, give them a call and see if these parts or the complete stock is back on the shelf.

Check your local Gun Shop for the your state's Laws, they seem to know more then most local PDs.

• 2 months later...

I'm seeing a lot of expensive "solutions" here, but havn't seen the easiest method yet.....

Questions first:-

1. Do you plan to shoot it a lot? Shooters here can answer durability questions re: aluminum frames.

2. Do you have high expectations of making money on it by selling it as soon as it's done?

IF your responses are "No" to both, here's what I see as simplest/cheapest/fewest leftovers.

1. Do NOTHING but buy an original Numrich or Kahr A-5 Pistol first.

Both have alloy upper/lower frames, and Numrich has a 12 1/2" bbl; the Kahr is 10 1/2" as original 1928s.

(I have one of each- I prefer the looks and balance of the Numrich, myself)

2. Troll GunBroker or ask here and find one of the NOS WWll M1-A1 stocks.

Measuring the lowers on both Numrich or Kahr will tell you they're NOT the same! The Kahr is deeper.

3. The stock will need to be milled out to suit the lower. No milling required for the lowers.

Now would be the time to seek Big Brother's blessing (BATFE). Once it's yours, only then will you drill and tap the

lower to accept the Thompson butt connection screws.

Starting with a steel-framed A-1 will call for a new 10 1/2" barrel (over $225 + more if you want a Cutts on it)

Then pay a Gunsmith $?? to R&R the barrels- you're still left with a long barrel tomato-stake, too.

We are already beyond the aluminum trigger frame issue new brother, and welcome. Aluminum is not durable--interesting though.

• 3 years later...

I completely understand how frustrated you must be with all the answers/comments. you never did get the answers you were looking for.

I won't redress the legal issue because you already understand it. There are 3 different adapter plates (or more, who knows) on the internet - with 2, 4 and 6 screws. Doug Richardson has a 6 screw plate with machining instructions on exactly how to do it. With proper finishing and maybe some bluing touch-up it should look professional and without the stock attached might look better than any other choice save for the original milled slots on real Thompsons. Please let me know how it comes out and take photos if possible.

the only thing I can't speak to is the aluminum receiver. I have one and have noticed with about only 500 rounds through it there is noticeable gouging on the feed ramp floor. i'm using Blazer brass with 230 gr. jacketed bullets - exactly what it should get. Do you have any gouging going on in your aluminum receiver?

good luck with everything. I think changing a barrel to an SBR will be more money than what you're doing. And you can always remove the plate and plug the 2-6 holes with allen plugs and it will look great. or you can find an aluminum trigger frame and replace the modified one to resell as a pistol - also less than a new barrel, etc. Finally there is a new Kahr model out there - a detachable buttstock SBR ready to go but almost 2X the price of other Kahr Thompsons before the ATF stamp so there.

J.D.

Wow, talk about a thread resurrection! I ended up just buying a new Kahr model with the detachable buttstock. Much easier solution and I won't have issues trying to resell it. I just looked about 2 weeks ago and saw that they're still selling for what I paid or a little more so I"m happy I won't lose my @$$ on it because I bought it during the black gun scare days post Newtown.

i'm curious about the new detachable buttstock kahr. they don't have any photos of the trigger frame area on their website. is it like the original 1928 models or did they modify a 1927 trigger frame?

here are some photos of the 1928 style frame: maybe if yours if different you could send photos of it.

thanks,

jim d.

post-260879-0-96248300-1505136584_thumb.jpg

post-260879-0-64360200-1505136586_thumb.jpg

post-260879-0-12337700-1505136589_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

have you looked at the floor of the feed ramp in front of the magazine where the rounds slide up into the chamber? is there paint missing? is there aluminum missing? my aluminum pistol has about 600 rounds through it and i'm seeing a gouging or hollowing out of the floor that if it continues will be a problem down the road.

dokkerdam

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...