New member seeking advice on market value for 1928 Savage British Proo

Steven,

The different assembly numbers on your butt stock, butt plate, and slide assembly tells me all these parts were not originally assembled together and none of them were probably a part of S-71870 when it left the Savage Arms factory in early 1941. This is very common for World War II Thompson guns. A big plus is the original Savage Arms vertical fore grip, by far the most desirable part. I personally think the gloss finish detracts from the Thompson but others on the Board may like the look. It is not original but everyone has different likes and dislikes. The fore grip has a flat look to it, at least in some of the pictures, the reason why I mentioned sanding. If I were to see it in-person, I may have a different opinion.

The Stevens Arms barrel is correct and more importantly, with the correct finish, another big plus.

S-71870 appears to be a 95% original gun. The only problem is the butt stock, something that no one is ever going to notice unless it is disassembled. A big plus for the butt stock is the British re-enforcement and sling swivel modifications. Perhaps, that is when the parts were mixed up.

You have a nice Thompson gun. May I suggest a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) to learn when it was entered on the NFA Registry and by what means or Form.

All good stuff!!!

I think it is very unlikely that the typical British Thompson has its original butt stock. The stocks were

probably removed from the guns, disassembled, and the sling swivel relocated from the bottom to the

top of the stock. The reinforcing screws were added to the front of the stock at some point along the

way. Then the stock was ready for reassembly, using whatever metal was available. I doubt anyone

kept track of the stock’s original metal. Once reassembled, the stocks were probably put back on the

guns with no attempt to match the stock with the gun it was on when it arrived. This work was probably

done on a large group of guns at once as quickly as possible. Time constraints likely resulted in all the

butt stocks and metal parts on them going to guns other than their origionals, except, of course, by rare

chance. Does anyone know what the exact process/procedures for this rework were.

Jack, thank you for the additional context regarding the butt stocks. It makes perfect sense that in the hurried/harried circumstances of WW2 the British Armory would be more attentive to completing the updates/upgrades than matching numbers during reassembly. In answer to your question, I am not familiar with the armory's rework process (but like you, it would be interesting to know).

I'm curious about the designation "Model of 1928" on the side of the receiver. You see a lot of guns with the "US" and "A1" ground off, but there's no indication these markings were ground off on this gun. Can a Board expert explain the history of why some guns like this one are just stamped "Model of 1928" with no sign of the "US" or "A1" being ground off? A very nice Thompson. Thanks.

Robert

Robert,

The Savage manufactured Model of 1928 Thompson guns purchased by Great Britain under cash & carry were not U.S. property and therefore were not marked with U.S. nomenclature. When the Lend Lease Act went into effect in 1941, the U.S. government took over all the Auto-Ordnance contracts and ended the British cash and carry acquisitions of these guns. The Thompson guns manufactured by Savage Arms for the U.S. government were marked to conform with military nomenclature requirements, hence the added U.S. and A1 markings. Thousands of Thompson guns marked in this matter were supplied to the British government under the Lend Lease Act. I go into a lot of detail about the British acquisition of the Thompson gun in my book, Great Britain - The Tommy Gun Story.

The Model of 1928 Thompson guns with the U.S. markings ground off and a letter "C" stamped over the number 1 to form "AC" are parts guns manufactured by Auto-Ordnance and sold to mostly law enforcement organizations in the United States after production of the Model of 1928 Thompson gun ended in 1942 (and production of the M1 Thompson began). This variation is usually referred to as the 1928AC. It is not a GI or military Thompson gun. It is a parts gun from one of the original manufacturers. And a collectable variation in its own right. Frank Iannamico describes this variation in The Ultimate Thompson Book and with much more detail in his American Thunder books.

• Upvote 1

• 3 years later...

I found this thread thanks to TD suggesting I research the "dulite" on the 1928 Thompsons made by Savage. Now seeing some of these photos I have even more questions:

1) Was is standard on all 1928 Thompsons that the sling holders be mounted on top of the butt stock and on the left side of the fore grip?

2) what is the meaning of small circular stamp next to the crown stamp on on the upper left (forward) corner of the left side of the receiver?

Thanks!

Wow. This is a blast from the past! And a very nice British Thompson gun.

1. The change of location of the butt stock sling swivel along with the addition of a sling swivel to the vertical fore grip (either side) are British modifications done after the guns left the factory.

2. The circular stamp contains the initials (GEG) of George E. Goll, the Auto-Ordnance (AOC) Chief Engineer in 1940 that went to the Savage factory to assist Savage put the Thompson gun back in production. When production began, Goll also became the AOC Chief Inspector. His GEG stamp indicated the product was acceptable and would be paid for by Auto-Ordnance. Most/all Thompson guns manufactured by Savage Arms have this circular mark on the receiver and often times on the frame.