New Problem

I experienced an other odd problem with my Reising. Upon chambering a round the action would lock up, and the cartridge would not fire. Cocking the action to eject the round was difficult to say the least. The odd part is that it would not happen every time. But if I tried to chamber to same round again, once again the action would lock up. The suspect cartridges would drop right in a case gage, and when double checked with a dial micrometer was in-spec Ammo was Fiocchi and my reloads. Out of a box of 50 there might be one or two cartridges that lock up the action.

I just tried the suspect cartridges in my other Reising, does not lock it up, so its probably not the ammo.

Anyone else have a similar problem?

It might be the new firing pin length. Check the pin in the bolt to see if it is flush or just below flush.

It might protrude on the back side enough to stop the bolt from tilting. That might be one one of the reasons

The original pin was shaped with the steady taper. It would allow it to move forward when the bolt unlocks.

Just a thought.

Frank,

The only thing that comes to mind is the case lenght.

If the case is too long for a particular gun the bolt might not lock all the way up.

But you already checked the lenth ,didn't you.

Did you compare the length of the problem round to a good round ??

Jim C

Well,

Not one to easily give up, I discovered that the nose of some of the rounds were touching the rifling in the barrel. I shortened two of the cartridges that were locking it up a few thousands, and viola, problem solved. Sort of, the rounds were in spec. I see a throat reamer in my future.

Thanks for the input.

• 1 month later...