Lanchester Mk 1*

I am curious about that "BOSS" marking.
Is that perhaps the US firm that converted it from a dewat?

ALSO, I am a big fan of the Lanchester.
My Dad was familiar with them from his WWII service in the Royal Navy.

During the Falklands war he spotted one in the hands of the British sailor while watching the TV news, and wasn't surprised that the Royal Navy was still using them.

Richard

Boss was really an assembler rather than a manufacturer of Lanchesters. Same goes for W W Greener who also assembled them.

Boss and Greener both got a trial contract to assemble 12 guns each in May 1942. Further orders followed in the thousands through 1942 and 1943.

I doubt any were assembled or made in 1944 as the Sten was the gun by that stage.

Regards

AlanD

Sydney

Interesting that so many show an acceptence date of 1944.

The last recorded order for boss was placed on 9th October 1943, for 1,388 units and Greener for 6,888 on the same date. Looks like they both took a while to compete thewre orders.

There is an undated order for 14,000 guns with Sterling, which appears to be one of the final orders as well.

As far as I know Boss was never allocated a factory code which would result in them stamping their name on the gun. W W Greener did receive a code - M94.

Has anyone seen a gun the the name Greener on it or only the M94 code?

Regards

AlanD

Sydney

Wartime soul brothers. You don't see this too often? 2 serial numbers apart and 2 numbers on the lower code, which apparently means something?

Where are you guys seeing dates located? On the mag well or ?

This is just a picture I found. My son's camera can take a close up picture. My camera cannot. If you look at the lower right side of the picture, you can see the number 42 stamped on the top rear of the magazine housing.

Are the other two CF numbers an inspector's code? It sure would be great if H56293 was still in existence.

post-261435-0-76179000-1511288623_thumb.jpg

I bet no one has seen this 1950 dated French Lanchester manual before...If you like it, I'll share the colorful foldouts from within...

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/dalbert/MGBoards/French_Lanchester_Manual_1950%20(1).jpg

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

I bet no one has seen this 1950 dated French Lanchester manual before...If you like it, I'll share the colorful foldouts from within...

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/dalbert/MGBoards/French_Lanchester_Manual_1950%20(1).jpg

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

I sure would like to see the foldouts.

Where did you find the picture? I don't know what the CF numbers are? I'd guess some internal company numbering system or the guy who assembled them? The numbers do correspond sequentially with the serial numbers though and I find that interesting.

This is where I got the picture:

https://wwiiafterwwii.wordpress.com/2015/10/04/lanchester-submachine-gun-post-wwii-use/

The photo of the Egyptian Lanchester in that article is one I took of my Ex Egyptian gun for the milsurps forum. Obviously robbed of that site.

I once posted a photo of my L4A2 Bren on milsurps and found it years later on the Calguns forum. The poster had claimed it to be his live gun which he had stored outside of California. It's one thing to take a photo but to claim it's your own gun is despicable! I wanted to call this guy out but the thread had been closed and locked. I was disappointed to say the least!!

• Upvote 1