Head Space And Barrel Threads

Hello All,

I'm new to this forum, and I'd like to get my feet wet here by asking a tech question. Is head spacing necessary when installing a new Kahr Arms 10.5" SMG barrel on my West Hurley M1928 Thompson SMG? Also, my old barrel would loosen from time to time during shooting, would red or blue locktight on the threads solve the problem on the new barrel?

I'd appreciate any feedback.

89C6

Thank's Phil,

Just what I needed more ways to invest! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

At first when you posted about the changable barels, my thoughts were why?

Then last night while laying in bed the idea came to me to have PK cut down my 16" barrel and install a blade sight on it.

Then I could chose between a 10.5" bbl with a comp. or a blade sight.

If I can find a blade sight.....

http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/blink.gif

Jack,

“ring sights’ are common and cheap, get a NOS that has not had the hole drilled for the cross pin.

While the 16” barrel can be shortened, the contour is heavier and re doing that is a bit of work. If you’re lucky, there is enough meat for the sight boss.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I like the idea of the set screw for the barrel. I believe my barrel loosened due to the previous owner having quickly replaced the barrel with a lesser quality one before he sold it to me...it happens I guess. At the time of the purchase I was just so thrilled to finally own a Thompson SMG that I didn't notice the less than pristine qualities about the weapon. I had to go out and buy a semi auto to pacify me while I waited for what seemed like 2000 months for the transfer. Now the semi auto is kinda like kissing your sister. (What's another $800,00 dollars when you just finished spending in excess of $10,000.00?)

Anyway, I ordered a new Kahr Arms barrel, (Numrich was backordered) and will attempt to make the installation...a buddy informed me that he installed a new Kahr Arms barrel on his M1 and had zero problems with it. I'll hope for the best.

C6

Phil,

Well being that I am a true fan of Dan Wesson with the changeable barrels, I think I should shoot for this option as well.

I sent out a few posts to parts companies to see if I can come up with a ring sight for my other barrel.

Hopefully PK can make it work, without needing to re-taper the old barrel.

Have to see where things finally come to rest. My Thompson is with PK now for some other work as well as a barrel change, so now would really be the time to do it all and save re-shipping at a later date.

If nothing else I'll have an extra sight and barrel to add to the collection of parts, at least until I can afford to do more work on it. I still have other modifications in mind as well as the quick barrel change option.

Thanks for all the info.! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif