Slow Motion Video

deerslayer

• 3 weeks later...

Some years ago a gent posted how he discovered that his firing pin tip was prominent on the boltface as the gun was cycling.
So the base of every cartridge was catching the side of the tip, forcing it back into the bolt, as the 45 round slid across the face during the feeding cycle.

I assumed he had high speed photography to learn that.
Looking at that clip now, I wonder how you could catch that happening?

Richard

The camera would need to be lower and forward and angled up to look through the ejection port so as to look above the top round and see the bolt face with the firing pin sticking out on the return stroke .

Chris

I persist in thinking there's something else going on with the Reising firing pins; a couple of things to consider:

1. Fatigued firing pin spring. The originals are at least 60 and possibly as much as 80 years old. There might be an issue with resisting the inertia of the pin. A Wolff spring should fix that A titanium pin has only about 2/3 the mass of a steel one so it should also help if this is the issue. However from some reports these fixes clearly do not work 100% of the time.
  2. I regularly clean significant quantities of crud out of the interior of my bolt. If the crud accumulates unchecked, it could cause the firing pin to stick in the forward position.
  3. The stock pin has a taper rather than a constant diameter like the Keystone pins. Murphy says there is a possibility of the bolt not being bored quite deep enough to clear the taper when the pin is driven forward by the hammer causing it to stick in the forward position. The heavier striking force of the Wolff hammer spring could actually contribute to this problem by increasing the momentum of the pin. This could be abetted by the aforementioned crud buildup