Help! Converts Full Auto Mags To Semi

A couple years ago, someone was manufacturing a part that, when replaced, allowed full auto Mags to be used in Semi-auto Thompsons. I cannot remeber the part or who made it, but it sold for $45. This allowed you to use existing full auto magazines without having to alter them.. Thanks in advance. Greg

Reloader,

Talk to Damon at http://www.tommygunner.com.

Here is a link to the web-page with the part: http://www.tommygunner.com/pages/parts/index.htm

I think the part number is CO500790, but I would email him first.

Norm

Without question this comes up more than any other subject on this board. Maybe one should not be able to join or even read anything on this site until they sign that they have read the past postings.

John Jr - I agree, but the last time this came up there was little support for a Full auto vs. Semi board. I think there are more people who don't own full auto guns or no thompsons at all. The same type of postings keep appearing.

It would be interesting to keep track of them and give them a number - such as:

1. What do I have to do to get my piece of shit Kahr to accept GI mags.

2. Can I make a full auto or semi from a dummy receiver?

3. Can I fix my Kahr semi M1 to take a drum?

4. How do I get my Kahr apart?

5. Look at who is selling something they should not sell - for what ever reason.

(Are we are the machinegun police?)

6. Why are 1921's so high - the person can't afford one so he runs shit on the sellers.

7. Do you think the price of drums will drop now that Kahr is making them?

8. Do you think full auto guns will drop in price?

There are two sites for BAR's - semi and full, why not for Thompsons? I think some are going elsewhere due to the lack of quality of this site. This site appears to attract kids and want-a-bees. We see less good infromation than we got a year ago....

Ron A, you would never be a suitable replacement for Mr.Rogers or Cpt.Kangeroo (let's see if you know the Cpt).

Yes, we all know the FAC section here, but part of the greatness, and wonder http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif of this board, are the patient guys(wish there were women too), that take turns in answering some of these repetitive questions, for those new folks who have eagerly asked these points.

I think the challenge is to answer in the most constructive way, without verbally crushing the questioner from an elitest mountain top. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

Am I alone and way out there in the jungle on this ?........jw

If you want to modify the part yourself here are the instructions from the FAQ:

I understand the semi automatic Thompsons won't accept original G.I. stick magazines. How do I modify the magazine catch to accept G.I. 20 and 30 round sticks?

The magazine catch must be modified by lowering the lip that engages the magazine .100" while maintaining the original contours and shape. This is commonly achieved with a Dremel tool or files. After you have removed the safety, move the pivot plate so the ends of the pins are flush with the side of the trigger frame. Pivot the magazine catch out far enough to clear the magazine engaging protrusion from the hole in the trigger guard. Push on the end of the pivot pin part of the mag catch on the far side while pulling the catch out of the hole. Once the magazine engaging protrusion has cleared the side of the trigger guard, carefully allow the catch to rotate and unwind the spring. Remove the catch from the trigger housing . (Assemble in reverse.)

When reshaping the magazine catch, you must duplicate all the contours and angles when lowering the engaging surface. Removing .100" will allow use of unmodified GI magazines. Be careful not to remove too much metal. You may have to refit and test several times to acheive the optimal shape.

I have a drawing showing a little more detail, I can email it to you if you are interested. Don't remember where I found the drawing, probably on this board.

QUOTE (Ron A @ Jul 9 2005, 10:16 PM)
John Jr - I agree, but the last time this came up there was little support for a Full auto vs. Semi board.  I think there are more people who don't own full auto guns or no thompsons at all.  The same type of postings keep appearing.

It would be interesting to keep track of them and give them a number - such as:

1.  What do I have to do to get my piece of shit Kahr to accept GI mags.
2.  Can I make a full auto or semi from a dummy receiver?
3.  Can I fix my Kahr semi M1 to take a drum?
4.  How do I get my Kahr apart?
5.  Look at who is selling something they should not sell - for what ever reason.                                       
      (Are we are the machinegun police?)
6.  Why are 1921's so high - the person can't afford one so he runs shit on the sellers.
7.  Do you think the price of drums will drop now that Kahr is making them?
8.  Do you think full auto guns will drop in price?

There are two sites for BAR's - semi and full, why not for Thompsons?  I think some are going elsewhere due to the lack of quality of this site.  This site appears to attract kids and want-a-bees.  We see less good infromation than we got a year ago....

http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif 1. What do I have to do to get my piece of shit Kahr to accept GI mags? Answer: I think you can install a GI mag catch and be done with it.

2. Can I make a full auto or semi from a dummy receiver? Answer: Only if you become licensed by the BATFE and have enough brains to do it. Contact Hardrede for further information regarding same.

3. Can I fix my Kahr semi M1 to take a drum? Answer: No, but somebody else probably can. It weakens the gun, but who gives a shit after all, its a Kahr.

4. How do I get my Kahr apart? Answer: The question should be how the fuck did they get it to fit together?

5. Look at who is selling something they should not sell - for what ever reason.

(Are we are the machinegun police?) Answer: As bad as I may get flamed for this, I really think we should be self policing and I, for one, dont want a bunch of illegal parts.

6. Why are 1921's so high - the person can't afford one so he runs shit on the sellers. Answer: COLT. Because some people think a damn horsey is worth that much extra. Colt TSMGs are for the advanced collector/investor. Anyone who would shoot one is cracked. Shitslinging is always going to happen. Just look at me and Arthur. I don't hate colts, just colt snobs.

7. Do you think the price of drums will drop now that Kahr is making them? Answer: Only the West Hurley drums will drop. Westies ain't vintage drums and they don't work anyway, but what the hell, the Kahr drums don't work either. The are both worth around $50 each.

8. Do you think full auto guns will drop in price? Answer: NO, what are you, stupid?

If we had a full auto and a semi auto board this already lethargic slow moving board would just have about a post a month for each. If it wasn't for the likes of me, Philohio, Fullauto45, Lionheart, and a few others this board would be slower than mollasses in January. I would like a better FAQ however...especially for semi autos.

http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif

"7. Do you think the price of drums will drop now that Kahr is making them? Answer: Only the West Hurley drums will drop. Westies ain't vintage drums and they don't work anyway, but what the hell, the Kahr drums don't work either. The are both worth around $50 each."

I'm calling bullshit on that statement.... So much for our connection... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/ph34r.gif

The "horsy" isn't the only reason Colt Thompsons are priced out of the roof. The 21s put us a little closer to the gangster era and that has a mystique and character that brings the extra bucks.

Sgt,.. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

rat-a-tat-tat! Just can't get enough of these toys http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Since it has offended just about everyone on this board, I will refrain from participating in the future since questions are not tolerated by most of the members. I was not gifted as omniscient when I was born. goodbye.

Reloader, don't go. Some people just like to bullshit way to much. I'm usually one of them. Phil Askew on the board also has the mag catches if you have trouble finding them. I think the $45 is about right price.

I did not mean to offend the original writer - only to agree with John Jr. as to the reason for the need for a Semi and Full site. I agree tne new semi thompson owners needs a place to go for questions. There is a place these questions are answered on this site.

I feel a full auto site would attract more people than might be expected - TCA members pay for a publication wihich comes out only 4 times a year. Gordon's books sell, and they are not cheap. There is a market for early full auto thompson items.

I think owners of full auto guns - 21, 28 etc: see little interest in a site where the same semi questions are asked - I suggest Reloader stay as there are people standing in line to answer his questions....

This board also provides excellent information for the full auto owner, it just that you have to read a ton of material to find it!

Sorry to have upset anyone..

QUOTE (Reloader @ Jul 12 2005, 02:42 PM)
Since it has offended just about everyone on this board, I will refrain from participating in the future since questions are not tolerated by most of the members.  I was not gifted as omniscient when I was born. goodbye.

Two people is just about everyone? Questions not tolerated by most? I hardly think Junior, and Ron A are any kind of a majority on the board. This is one of the easier boards I live on.... The car boards I belong to are more brutal than this one... Well except the few jerks that Lancer speaks of..... Take this in the most constructive way you can... If you think this is brutal maybe internet message boards are not for you... If you can handle the heat, this is "THE" best place to gain knowledge on the Thompson gun, full auto or semi.

Hope you can stay with us, Reloader. I once felt as you do now. When I first came on, I got pounced about wanting to build a dummy gun. I'm glad I hung on and eventually got two pretty GI Thompsons. It's a great board, but sometimes you have to put on some thick hip boots.

QUOTE (Reloader @ Jul 12 2005, 01:42 PM)
Since it has offended just about everyone on this board, I will refrain from participating in the future since questions are not tolerated by most of the members. I was not gifted as omniscient when I was born. goodbye.

Reloader, your question was answered before Ron A or myself even chimed in. It even looks like your question was answered in less than 5 hours time. Your post did get hijacked with some other stuff, but that can happen on a message board and it will happen again. Thats just the nature of this board and all the others quite frankly.

Every board has it jerks, and as stated this one is no exception. I am the first to admit that I fit that category sometimes, but I am not the only one on here who does. I could make you a nice list to watch out for.

In the meantime, relax, get your panties out of a wad, sit back, relax and send Nick a paypal. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif