Changing out extractor screw...

Republic

The head is broken off of my extractor screw, so I'm ordering a replacement; however, when I was reading the USGI manual the other day, it specifically said not to remove the extractor screw unless you are "prepared to reset" it in order to prevent it from backing out during use. Does anyone have any idea what the manual is talking about? Seems like a pretty straightforward job (i.e., just tighten the screw down), but I want make sure I'm repairing it correctly. Thanks in advance for your help.

The term refers to "staking" the edge of the screw head at the seam of the adjacent metal with a pointed or chisel edged punch. A punched indentation in the edge seam will prevent the screw from rotating and unscrewing from vibration. If you don't want to stake the screw, Loctite can be used to good effect. If the edge of the screw head is proud of the bolt body, it should be dressed with a file to the contour of the curve of the bolt body.

I've seen a variety of ways to stake the extractor screw in the Reisings and the majority of staked screws were punched at the intersection of the screw top edge and each side of the extractor. Two punch marks, one on either side, either round indents or short "dash" indents. FWIW

The term refers to "staking" the edge of the screw head at the seam of the adjacent metal with a pointed or chisel edged punch. A punched indentation in the edge seam will prevent the screw from rotating and unscrewing from vibration. If you don't want to stake the screw, Loctite can be used to good effect. If the edge of the screw head is proud of the bolt body, it should be dressed with a file to the contour of the curve of the bolt body.

I've seen a variety of ways to stake the extractor screw in the Reisings and the majority of staked screws were punched at the intersection of the screw top edge and each side of the extractor. Two punch marks, one on either side, either round indents or short "dash" indents. FWIW

Thanks - I was hoping it would be something easy like that!