Insurance On Thompson

i will soon be getting my first thompson http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif ( colt 1921) and will want to get insurance on it. who will carry these things, since my homeowners company said "we're not in the machine gun business" http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/mad.gif thanks for any info

Buy a high quality gun safe like a Fort Knox. It will pay for itself with a few years of what your insurance premiums will cost. Insurance companies are rip offs. They would never pay you the true value of what a 21 TSMG is worth. They will try to throw in depreciation and all that BS.

KCN- Call Johnson Safes in Zionsville. I'll email you the number. He will build you a safe and paint it any color you want. Jeff Johnson is a great guy and he will deliver it and set it up for you. He took mine down the steps to the basement by his self. I just had a heart surgery and could just stand and watch. Had some kid on the bottom to guide it but slide it down with no problems. Awsome! A lot of places will sell it to you, and only deliver it to your door step. Rest is yours. I'll find the papers on it and email you the deatils. Anybody else in central Indiana, email me and I'll send you the same.

I totally concur that insurance for guns, coins, jewelry, cameras, etc. is a ripoff. Get a good fire resistant, thief resistant safe, and put all of these things in it, plus your family photos and negatives and all of your important papers. As an alternative to insurance and safe deposit boxes, it really will pay for itself. Plus it's a hell of a lot more convenient than a safe deposit box.

Just be sure to get one big enough. Taller is better because you get more storage room for a given footprint. You'll also want the safe inside of your living space to prevent moisture condensation issues relating to temperature fluctuations. Unless you have a basement or other slab construction to set the safe on, you'll probably want to reinforce your floor from under the crawlspace.

At the time I bought my safe, I found that National Security had the best safes for the money.

I had 2 guns stolen about 7 years ago from my home, a S&W66 and a P38 war trophy. At the time I carried insurance with the "NRA sponsored" company. They drove me nuts with all the paperwork to the point I realized that I would be better off spending my time working to replace the value of the guns. They wanted police reports, serial numbers of the stolen guns, SERIAL NUMBERS OF EVERY OTHER GUN I OWNED, original bills of sale, copies of the ATF forms from the dealer(who was no longer in business), notarized statements from me, notarized statements from everyone who had access to the house, pictures of each weapon, the original shipping boxes. One of the guns was a war trophy. The Germans didn't give out bills of sale or original shipping boxes when they were killed, but try and explain that to someone looking for an excuse not to pay off on a claim. It seemed they were never satisfied. I would have had to bring them to court to force them to pay up. Bottom time: they never paid a penny and it was cost prohibitive to bring the insurance company to court, so I cancelled the insurance. Buy a big fireproof safe and make sure and read the fire rating on each safe for duration and temperature as they vary widely. IMHO NRA INSURANCE IS NOT CHEAP, IT IS WORTHLESS!

Carey

Tried NRA....$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!!!

CIA is best deal out there!

Also have a big vault at home AND a travel vault that I bolt into my van for trips to KCR....and the alarm in the van!!

But barring anything else, get the insurance!

Twenty five grands worth will run you about a hundred a year.

john http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/huh.gif

John, Gotta agree. I figured that the NRA policy would be the cheapest as it is a "benefit of membership" and all. CIA was a lot cheaper. Also, for me, their home office is 45 minutes away so if I have to bop someone in the nose, it is a short trip.