What Ever Happened To...

I have been wondering this for a while,but, what ever happened to Roger Cox? Is he alive and where or has he passed? I have looked several places for info and haven't found anything. It's like he just vanished. I know it sounds like a strange question but this is the place to ask it.

Full Auto and Others,

I do not know the answer to your question... but this book of his is available right now on evilbay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...gory=41900&rd=1

Evilbay has been that lately. I just watched a Lyman sight go for $308 http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif . IMA has them for $295???

Bid like crazy....

Ol' Roger was serving time in the pokey awhile back for problems arising from sales of unregistered sub/machine guns. At least that is what the scuttlebutt was. I believe Gordon H. knows his current whereabouts.

As far as the Cox book on ebay, there was never a second printing of the book so they are all 1st editions.

Mike,

Frank told me at the TCA show that Cox is now a practicing attorney in some north eastern state, Mass. I think. It is the only state where an ex felon can become a lawyer. He said he has tried to contact him but Cox will not reply. I don't think he wants anything to do with automatic weapons any more. Just what I was told.

From the Martindale-Hubbell lawyer listing (www.martindale.co):

Roger A. Cox

Cox & Cox, 30 Main Street, Suite 9, Ashland, Massachusetts 01721-1178, (Middlesex Co.)

Practice Area: Civil Law; Criminal Litigation; Contract Law; Professional Malpractice; Civil Rights Law; Zoning Cases Law; Business Law; Federal and State Criminal Defense Law; General Civil Law; Criminal Trial Law; Appellate Practice

So Roger has gone from being a good ol' boy Thompson know all to a shark just waiting for the smell of blood to attack. Well that's interesting. It would have been interesting to meet him, but now he has gone to the dark side. Bad gun deals and all. Too bad.

As I recall hearing it, he got caught selling unregistered SMG's---TO THE ATF! Oops. Obviously a sting. In 1973 Roger called me with an MP40 for sale; "Very good to excellent"; with 3 mags and sling, for $400. I passed it up, since I was short on $$$. During the conversation, I asked if it was legal for certain to own Cl. III in Nebraska, which he said it was (that was true). But he added something like "Wherever else it is 'Thou Shalt Not Own a Machinegun', there is always a way around it". Whoa! My phone was on fire! I excused myself and hung up.

Next thing ya know he's doin' time. Now a lawyer. There's a chin-scratcher, I agree.

Ron

Whatever Cox's personal demons led him to venture into unlawful behavior should not detract from his contributions in chronicling the metamorphosis of Colt Thompsons. He also acquired some of the best conditioned Colt's from police and other agencies that he sold to collectors. I would say, generally speaking, that a TSMG purchased from Cox was a better example than one purchased from Earl, not to mention more reasonably priced.

I agree Arthur. Roger was actually a pretty pleasant guy to deal with. I spoke with him a few times over a couple of years and he was always a gentleman. His contributions to Colt Thompson collecting can't be overlooked either.

He had some nice guns over the years and his prices were definitely more reasonable than J. Curtis Earl's.