West Hurley meet West Hurley - The new Gun Parts Corp. C drum

I decided to start a new thread on the Numrich or Gun Parts Corporation C drums. The first thread - http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20627 - was about to exceed 5 pages.

On Saturday I was able to test one of the new GPC C drums everyone has been talking about. But prior to that, I took a few pictures of two Thompson items from West Hurley, New York: West Hurley Meet West Hurley

West Hurley meet West Hurley.JPG

The GPC C drum is well constructed, much like the earlier "Crosby" L drums manufactured in Taiwan. Early reports on MachineGunBoards.com have been very promising. 100 rounds of Winchester white box 230 grain ball ammo makes for a very nice picture!

GPC loaded drum.jpg

The first C drum dump was perfect. 15 clicks, insert drum into gun that is pointed down range, rocker pivot on full auto, safety off, pull the trigger, and hang on for 7 seconds of fun! All went well except for the photographer. He thought the camera was recording.....

Not to worry. This just means I get to do it again. Never a bad thing!

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/dalbert/MGBoards/Videos/Falter%20May%202017%20Test%202%20Resize-2.mp4

I did one more C drum dump later in the afternoon with what are called spotter rounds. This too makes for a very nice picture.

Spotter Rounds.jpg

There was one hiccup early on, not unexpected, since these are fairly light reloads. And the Thompson was plenty dirty after an afternoon of shooting by several shooters. After the light recoil, it was smooth sailing to the end. Unfortunately, you cannot see all the smoke I was creating on the steel plates downrange. But you can see how well the drum worked with reloads!

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/dalbert/MGBoards/Videos/Gpc%20Drum%20Test%203%20Falter%20Fam%20May%202017-1.m4v

I will have this C drum at the TATA and TCA Show and Shoots for everyone to view and handle. It will be available on range day for those that want to have 7 seconds of fun!

• Upvote 3

I really don't need a C drum... But those videos look real fun!!

mgvince - perhaps you don't need it but look at how much fun Tom has with his.

If I could I'd buy two but I can't because, here in Canada, fun with guns is frowned upon if not downright illegal.

At least you have the option.

Seven seconds Tom, there you go exaggerating again!

According to my scientific research (my twenty year old stopwatch) it took eight point three two (8.32) seconds to empty that drum in the first video and a pokey eight point three seven (8.37) in the second. I do concede that I may have been just a little slow pushing the stopwatch button the second time.

I look forward to investigating this point zero five (.05) second anomaly sometime in the future.

Excellent videos and "Gourmet Food for Thompsons"... I love that T Shirt.

Stay safe

Richard

OK, 8 seconds of fun :) But is seemed like a short 8 seconds! Something I encourage everyone to try at least once. Regarding internals, the testing was done with 21 internals (cut down GI 28 actuator and PK. hybrid buffer pilot). Next time I will use 28 internals. It will be interesting to see if the running time is much longer.

• Upvote 1

8 seconds equates to about 750 rounds per minute. I have a 21 actuator from pk too and it comes in about 921rpm. I clocked an m1a1 at just over 600 and a 28 actuator at closer to 800. All fun I must agree.

• 2 weeks later...

Just tested the new GPC "C" drum mag. Loading was easy if you have the instructions. Wind to 15 clicks. This drum makes the weapon really heavy. Firing was a joy. The Thompson is a smooth firing weapon. The drum was reliable.

ThompCdrum009.jpggif uploader

ThompCdrum010.jpggif uploader

ThompCdrum003.jpggif uploader

ThompCdrum004.jpggif uploader

ThompCdrum005.jpggif uploader

ThompCdrum006.jpggif uploader

Edited by timkel

• 1 month later...
I bought one of these but haven't tried it yet. I have greased my 50 RF reproduction drums (I made the required adapter a few years ago) Does this drum require greasing? It seems pretty smooth.

Nothing to do with 'Gourmet food for Thompsons', but does anyone know when Numrich moved their office from Mamaroneck NY to West Hurley NY?

Stay safe

Richard

Nothing to do with 'Gourmet food for Thompsons', but does anyone know when Numrich moved their office from Mamaroneck NY to West Hurley NY?

Stay safe

Richard

Richard,

I believe it was 1951. I need to check my paperwork, but it was somewhere in that timeframe, or maybe a year or so later. I don't know that anyone has documented an exact date yet, and I'm not sure how long it would have taken to move such an operation from point to point. While the company was smaller back then, it still had a lot of parts...

David

• 3 weeks later...

Another thumbs up for the new repro "C" drum. I took the rotor assembly out and greased it (NGLI 1.5 synthetic grease), and then reassembled the drum. I have used and reloaded the drum 5 times now, and not a single failure to feed or fire. I'm using my 230 grain plated reloads. Very impressed! One drum = 3.2 pounds of lead downrange. There is some "gee whiz" value to this, but it's really a lot of fun to shoot. I even tried a mag dump, and the extra weight makes it a little easier to keep it on target.