Question regarding pistol version of AO 1927 Thompson

Im considering buying a friends pistol version of the 1927 semi auto. Its a Kahr arms upper and the trigger housing has the rails to slide on a butt stock. There is a 10.5 inch barrel on it with a ring style front sight. My question is, all versions of the pistol version have a trigger housing that is modified to not allow a butt stock to be attached. Would it be considered illegal to own it without a sbr if it has a trigger housing that can accept a butt stock? Of course no butt stock would be used, just curious?

Yes, to my understanding after reading about it all day yesterday and today, having the trigger housing with rails to slide on a butt stock is considered intent and would fall under NFA. Correct me if Im wrong but thats what I have gathered. Its hard because most everything Ive read is in regards to AR type pistols.

There is no such thing as "constructive intent".....there is only "constructive possession"....and that only comes into play, in your case, if you actually possess the buttstock as well.

There are numerous "pistols" being sold that can readily accept a stock without any modification......just don't have the stock in your possession unless your "papers are in order"

It's true that you cannot possess a weapon classified as a pistol and a stock that the pistol will accept ... Sometimes this can be a real conundrum ... ATI offers a folding stock for their GSG-MP40P to make it a SBR .. One would have to register the weapon as a SBR before purchasing the folding stock ... And the folding stock has been out of stock for almost a year. I wouldn't personally make the MP40P into a SBR as the quality would not be worth the investment ... Just pointing out that sometimes the way the law is written isn't the most efficient way of doing things ... What if one registered an MP40P as a SBR and ATI quit offering the stock?

It's true that you cannot possess a weapon classified as a pistol and a stock that the pistol will accept ... Sometimes this can be a real conundrum ... ATI offers a folding stock for their GSG-MP40P to make it a SBR .. One would have to register the weapon as a SBR before purchasing the folding stock ... And the folding stock has been out of stock for almost a year. I wouldn't personally make the MP40P into a SBR as the quality would not be worth the investment ... Just pointing out that sometimes the way the law is written isn't the most efficient way of doing things ... What if one registered an MP40P as a SBR and ATI quit offering the stock?

Its simple, batman. Buy the stock and store it somewhere else. I recently got a Henry mare's leg pistol. Called up Henry and told them I was going to SBR it. They sent me a stock and I had a friend hold onto the stock for me until the stamp comes back.

Its simple, batman. Buy the stock and store it somewhere else. I recently got a Henry mare's leg pistol. Called up Henry and told them I was going to SBR it. They sent me a stock and I had a friend hold onto the stock for me until the stamp comes back.

It's not that "simple" if the stock has been out of stock for most of a year, and there is no guarantee that it will be available in the future ... My point is that it could be dicey to register a weapon as a SBR and then be unable to complete the build due to a lack of the needed stock.

I always thought the Whole SBR part of the NFA was really stupid.

The M1 Semi with 10.5 and fix stock is,...what 30 inch.

Not exactly "Concealable"

The current 1927 Pistol is under another Bullshit Regulation where you can't attach the Vertical Forgrip like the 27 Pistol made in the 1970's and 1980's.....it must have the Horizontal Forgrip to be Legal. I had thought about buying the current Pistol version but would have like the option to put the Vertical Forgrip on if I chose to change the look to more Classic 1920's look.

I currently have the M1/16inch and a 1927 with 14in Green Mountain Barrel

Edited by jojeep

It's not that "simple" if the stock has been out of stock for most of a year, and there is no guarantee that it will be available in the future ... My point is that it could be dicey to register a weapon as a SBR and then be unable to complete the build due to a lack of the needed stock.

And my point was you just buy the stock when you file your form 1. There's nothing in the law anywhere that says you have to wait for your form 1 and stamp to come back before you buy a stock. They don't want you to store them (a pistol that can accept a stock and the stock) next to each other. You are allowed to have a buddy hang onto one of them for you. Obviously, don't even bother to file the form 1 if you don't know where you'll be able to get a stock. Thats just dumb.

Edited by giantpune