Ot: Need Value Of Handgun

Sorry for the OT post. I will delete soon!

I want to get a 1911 pistol. I have a few questions. We're talking new production here BTW.

What would be a good new production 1911 that would closely resemble what might have been carried by, say, um, Dillinger? Springfield Armory?

Also, do any of youguys have a gun book that would give me an idea of the value of a S&W Model 645 stainless .45 semiauto? I want to trade for the new gun, and wish to be armed with street value (which I know would be more than trade value).

Thanks!

Springfield Armory has a good basic 1911 as do some other manufacturers. I have looked at some of them, but right off the top of my pointy head I cannot remember their names. They are relatively inexpensive and are made well. I want to pick up a copy of a GI .45 one of these days, but I do not want to pay the high prices for an original.

The S&W 645, depending on the condition, will probably get you around $350 to $450. I had one for about three months then I traded it for a 4506. It is a well made pistol. You can find out more about it at www.smith-wessonforum.com .

Scott

GunBroker currently shows a used one for sale at $365.

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem....p?Item=23192291

I doubt you would get that much in a trade when you buy the 1911, but you never know.

I did sort of the same thing a while ago by figuring out what I felt to be a good/fair/realistic price for a Beretta .380 then actually worked out a good deal for a Kimber 1911.

When both the dealer and consumer walk away happy I say its a good deal.

I don't think a Dealer would give more than $280.00 on a Trade, if that. You would be best to sell outright. There is only one .45 that's currently in production that is identical to the one Dillinger and all those others carried. It also has a big price of $2000.00++ BEAUTIFUL! I looked at one the other day in fact. In all respects, it's a duplicate of a Pre-War 1911. For 1911's, I prefer Springfield. There are some new ones currently, including a WW2 version which is pretty close to a Vintage 1911, except for the Trigger and Safety Lever.

Hi Chris,

The 24th edition of the Blue Book of Gun Values (page 1363)

lists the used retail value of the S&W 645 Stainless at:

$475 - 100% condition

$365 - 98% condition

$300 - 95% condition

These prices, of course, would not be what a dealer would offer you.

Rather, the prices reflect what the the dealer might ask for the gun.

Hope this helps.

Edited by tedgun1911