Cad Drawings

UK Armourer

Guys,

I must apologise for my previous postings where I gave very little follow up. We had a family berevement and it threw up a whole lot of issues which I'm only just getting on top of......

Anyhow, I have found a manufacturer here in Europe that is making CNC AR15 type lower receivers which are excellent. I spoke with him in regard to manufacturing BM-59/62 receivers from scratch (steel actually, but you know).

He was very keen to do so and would machine them quite quickly IF he had CAD drawings of an M1 Garand receiver and a set of BM-59 conversion drawings!

If anyone knows of a source or has a set of either and would be willing to let the drawings be used it may just expand the 'family' so to speak...

He would be willing to build 80% receivers too so that export to the USA would be legal.

Let me know if anyone can help.

Cheers,

Vic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Mike,

thanks for the info. Yes, I know Sarco advertises the 'conversion' prints but does anyone in the group have a copy and can vouch for their acuracy, and worth? Are they Beretta Factory drawings or someones 'doodlings'?

Cheers,

Vic

Vic

The drawings that sarco sells where done by a engineer that worked for the US Navy Weapon Laboratory at the time. Sarco sent a BM59 receiver to him to work from. That been maybe 30 years ago or longer. Sarco gave him 4 E kits for doing the drawings. Which he still has the 4 like new BM59e that he did frrom his drawing.

Jim

One of my customers bought the Sarco drawing set. Although he did not have a BM59 to reference he was able to machine a receiver which functions quite well. He has a machine shop, and is an accomplished machinest. But, is not a gunsmith. His machining skills are, and are applied in other areas.

I have looked at the Sarco drawings. When I first looked at them I felt the drawing were done by some department of the U.S. gov't due to the style. After reading the other post about the Navy connection now I know how to account for the style of the drawings.

Some areas of the drawing are too small, and the way they make the copy, are hard if not impossible to read. Would be nice if Sarco would have some real good copies made.

My best advise is to go with the Sarco drawings. And if you have access to a Beretta receiver have a CMM type inspection layout done and compare the drawings to the CMM results.

Down side is this all costs serious money.

Of course this is all just my opinion.

OK, well I guess if Sarco doesn't make a good copy of the original drawings then the issue of getting a set from them is a little academic!

I have a number of 'cut' genuine BM-59 receivers and complete M1 Garand receivers so I think I will backwards engineer the drawings myself...

Cheers,

Vic

Edited by UK Armourer

I would think the greatest percentage of the Garand receiver is unmodified by Beretta. High quality Garand recevier drawings are available from Eric Nicolaus. Would it maybe be easier to use the GI recevier drawings and them modify the part of the print that was modified by Beretta?

The critical points such as barrel thread timing and safety bridge locations would be the same I would think.

http://www.nicolausassociates.com/M1_Garand.htm

If you click on the sample receiver drawing view you'll get a real good idea of what he offers. Have also sourced full size prings from him in the past.

Greg

Doug - RE:Your question on stripper clip fitting

I have never removed a '59 stripper clip guide but have had a machinist mill dovetails into the top of M1 receivers. We did not weld over the left end of the cut as Beretta did to improve appearance. Beretta finished this area nicely on rifles they did.

MRJ