Strange Xx Blank Mag

Here is the second mag I received with the Colt prototype mag.

http://img3.exs.cx/img3/4346/Blankmag1.jpg

Here it is compared with a Colt Blank mag which is on the right.

You will note the difference in the feed lips.

The mag is about 1/8th of an inch longer than normal

It has no hold open tab on the follower and never has had.

Other than that it is identical to my other Blank Colt mags

http://img3.exs.cx/img3/9448/BlankMag2.jpg

There are no makers marks on it.

What have I got here

Help please

Murray.

Murray,

What you have is the reproduction magazine made for the Model Gun Corporation Thompsons that were made in the late 1960s and 1970s and are still showing up for sale on Ebay. I have one just like it and I did a comparison of this magazine and a real one a couple of years ago on this board. I took the pictures down from my FTP space some time ago, otherwise I'd refer you to the original posts regarding this topic. It also more than likely has the floor plate with the circular dimple on it. The type more commonly found on the XXX box magazines.

I hope you didn't pay too much for it. It is not a genuine Thompson magazine. But as far as getting a rarer magazine (the other one you pictured), maybe you don't want to contact the seller and get a refund. I will have to rephotograph the one I have if you want to see pictures.

Thanks for that.

I did not think for a second that it was anything special but no problem,

For me it is something a little different and although not of much monetary value it is a curiosity as I have never seen one before.

As you say, the Colt Prototype certainly offsets what I paid for both which was not much really.

It is worth keeping for the my magazine collection. which is growing!

Many thanks

Murray.

murray i have a new in wrapper one just like it.bought it from a dude in japan about ten years ago,for around $15.00 i have it for my model m.g.c.1921

however i would not take fifty for it.you know why???i have never ever seen any of them for sale at all..they only supplied one with each model gun over the year's.and not sure if they ever decided to make more of them,then what was needed.it also fits a 21a and 21ac.and takes the rounds.

i am sure it would work.so keep it another piece of thompson history......ask whomever buys the chinese thompson for $89,000.00 if they would want the original mag to go with it for around a $1,000.00 wink!!

take care,ron