Thompson Savage Grip Value?

I was recently offered a set price to sell my original Savage grip from my 1928 Thompson (I never use it and really prefer the horizontal grip, it literally hasn't seen daylight out of the safe for over a year). But with what he is offering I am not sure if I should take it or not as I have absolutely NO idea whatsoever what these things sell for. It is in really nice shape except for a crack in the wood (wood still solid and doesn't move though).

What do these things usually bring?

Here is a picture of it which shows the crack, other side is about the same condition wise (less the crack of course).

This is the same grip I had mentioned in an earlier post about my Thompson where the AOC from the gun has transferred over into the wood of the grip right on the S

I can post more pictures, just need to know what anyone needs to see.

Thanks

David

http://i63.tinypic.com/qsmuqq.jpg

i sold mine approx 6-8 months ago with the repaired crack for $650 to a forum member

yours is nicer than mine, but mine was repaired already too....

if its got the nice S on top and is a correct S1928 grip i vote $650 as a fair price...

or you could put it on Ebay and see how high the bidding goes...its gone insane in the past a few times

mine was mint/original and i paid $850 i believe on this forum

Thanks for the information. I did like you thought and went the auction route, but I didn't use Ebay. I thought they didn't allow gun stuff anymore, I haven't checked Ebay for anything for years. To show how long it has been since I have been on there, the last transaction I had on Ebay was I sold a M11 9 smg. Once they got all politically correct I dumped using them.

geefal,

If that Savage vertical fore grip is original to your Savage Thompson, I recommend sending it to Dan Block for repair and then storing it for the time when you or your estate will be selling your Thompson gun. I believe it will add much more value to your Savage Thompson in the future than any price you will receive today.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the advice. Couple of things though,

#1 auction already has a bid on it so I can't cancel the auction

#2 although it has been on the gun forever, I doubt it was original as it (the Thompson) is a Bridgeport and not a Savage. Might have been original, but again, #1 has it selling in the next week.

if you had a S1928 and you sold that grip you would be making a huge mistake as it took me 2 years to find one that was nice.....Dan block can repair and make perfect

ebay is where it seems to get the most exposure..its where ive seen everyone sell for the most part...you can list gun parts...just not magazines over 10 rounds (i think)

one of these sold for $1550 once (mint/original condition)....i would expect $850+ if its noticed....its one of the nicer S1928 grips ive seen...most are english versions with holes and swivels on them.....the one i had at one time looked a bit like a dog chewed on one side....character is what it was :)

your very good with pictures.....with pics like that you will get a premium....put a link to your auction...id like to see where it goes

my hobby 2x a week for 2 years was to search for this grip...its that rare

Edited by huggytree

Hmmm???

I have one I took off of any early 1927A Semi made in the 1970's.

It was built with lots of surplus parts, but the Vertical Grip was nicely shaped like this one seen here,...not the thick shaped ones that Sarco etc currently sell.

Thank you for Posting the photos, I need dig it out and look for a "S" stamp.

Edited by jojeep

I would suggest ending the auction, and keeping the grip.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

if he doesnt have s1928 model his selling it may help someone else who does complete their gun....like i did......if he has a S1928 he is tossing part of his guns value away as a collector piece....these grips come up 3-4x a year and this is the 3rd nicest one ive seen for sale...a bit of glue and you wouldnt even see that crack

Sorry for my lateness back to this topic, been away from the computer.

for huggy the auction # is 747096762

right about now, I am really thinking I have made a mistake in posting this for sale. I have even had a collector from Nebraska drive about 150 miles (one way) to take a look at this (nice gal, didn't realize many women were collectors of this stuff).

As it has a winning bid, gunbroker will not let you end an auction and I will have to let it run its course.

Good example here where I should have did a bit more research first.

To Bridgeport28a1, yes it is a ghost image and not a stamping

geefal,

If you have what I call a Auto-Ordnance Bridgeport (AOB) 1928AC variation, normally found with the "US" markings ground off, a letter "C" stamped over the number "1" in the nomenclature marking "A1" and possibly with an "X" serial number suffix, this grip is most likely original to this gun when it was sold by the Auto-Ordnance Corporation or the Auto-Ordnance Division of Maguire Industries, Inc. between 1944 and 1946 to a law enforcement organization. Post a few pictures of your gun and I will let you know. If original to your gun, you certainly made a mistake listing it for sale. If me, I would purchase the fore grip at auction and pay the appropriate seller fee to the auction site. If you are not allowed to bid because you are the seller, have a friend purchase it for you.

whoever buys this Thompson will no doubt have to spend years trying to find a original grip

no one will know as most AC's ive seen have smooth barrels, late model rear sights and horizontal grips....were all assuming this rare grip would have been on this gun...in the end no one will ever know just as they dont right now...

Are any members here planning on placing a bid ? I have one so I'll stay away so someone here can add it to their collection but otherwise I think I'd like to bid.

bid away......i notice the bidding isnt as strong as i would have thought..i think Ebay is a better place as history shows a $1550 bid for one once....GB doesnt

my guess is it goes for $800-$1000 if its noticed

Edited by huggytree