MAT 49 VS Smith and Wesson 76 VSO Gun Channel

Excellent job!

A friend just brought home a suppressed 76. I am gonna have to go see him soon...!

By time I joined the French Foreign Legion in 1984, the MAT 49 had been replaced by the FAMAS, but we did use it on Commando training courses, as it was expendable and I think they were worried their new FAMAS AR might break. By time I left in 1990, having served in Chad, Central Africa Republic, almost 2 1/2 years spent in the Republic of Djibouti and finally a tour of duty in French Guiana, with a lot of time in the tropical rainforest patrolling the Maroni river / border, during the civil war in Surinam, the FAMAS proved to fit for purpose.

Stay safe

Richard

My suppressor was made by Jim Burgess. http://www.jmbdistribution.com/class3_guns_forsale.htm

Over time, I had the internals upgraded by another FFL/SOT, and I'll have to go back and see who upgraded the internals.

I am sure there are other can that can be used, but this one has alot of Volume which helps in the suppressor functioning. I also like the fact I can shoot factory ammo and the suppressor drops it to subsonic. the trade off was a larger can that eats all the ammo verses a smaller can that you can only use subsonic ammo.

Saw a few Mat49s when overseas but could never find one for sale when I wanted to buy :-)

Now they are just nutty expensive so now lost the interest.

I do love my 76 in a special way as it's fun to shoot suppressed. Good job by the way on the video.

S&W76.JPG

Thanks for the video. I've had a couple MATs over the years, a weld-up gun and an original, with the original being a bring back from Vietnam. MATs are fairly well represent din the NFRTR with both vintage an weld-up examples so are not especially rare. Collectors hang on to them so they rarely are offered for sale.

Pic below includes a 9mm foldup, Hotchkiss Universal smg, a gun in use in Indo-China during the French colonial occupation and later during the Vietnam war and made as both a select fire and a semi-auto.

I answered an ad years ago in response to a fellow looking for a magazine for a Universal. I had half a dozen kits that I had planned on making into post-May samples an had extra magazines. The fellow turned out to be a former B52 mechanic stationed in the Phillipines in the middle sixties who liked to horse trade with anyone who had something that he wanted. He acquired in trades, an M3 Greasegun, a MAT 49 and a Hotchkiss Universal all of which he brought back to the US when he left the Air Force and registered in the '68 Amnesty.

His wife's father had been killed by an intruder who armed himself with a gun on the premises when he broke into the father's house. The fellow's wife insisted that there would be no firearms in her house and he had to sell the MGs. Before he sold the Universal, she wanted a divorce. He had no mag and needed one to sell with the gun, hence the ad. I was astounded that the gun was the select fire model and registered and informed him that it was a very unique and valuable smg. I offered him a large sum for it, fair for the market as far as I could tell, but he said he couldn't take any cash or money because his wife would know about it and take it. However, if I was interested in a trade, what he did want was a stainless steel Springfield .45 1911 and a stainless Springfield M1A. He said that a nearby SOG store had both guns in stock and if I paid for them, he would transfer to me the Hotchkiss. You could have knocked me over with a feather! Done deal!

The topmost smg in the 2nd pic is the Universal, and it the only one in the NFRTR, complete and correctly registered.

First pic is the gun folded for para use or storage, etc.

post-9100-0-34950900-1518747442_thumb.jpg

post-9100-0-70040300-1518747455_thumb.jpg

Edited by Black River Militaria CII
  • Upvote 2

The Mat-49 has always been on my want list. I used to have a wall hanger MAT-49 assembled on a undersized tube. I regret selling that one. Another interesting french design is the MAS-38. It was chambered the the 32 long. But conversion the 32acp was possible.

I own a 76, and was enjoying the video until 4:14:

...fits into a briefcase...coat and tie...take it into a boring...meeting, take it out and look at everybody...I'm not tolerating any of you..."

Even without the news of the past 48 hours, absolute irresponsible stupidity to create anything like that for public view.

(Last sentence edited from the original post, for clarification of my intent);

Edited by mnshooter

I didn't do the editing. There was alot of behind the scenes bantering. Classic taken out of context.

I want to clarify to everyone here -I wasn't being critical of anyone on this board who posted it entirely in good intention.

I do stand by my statement regarding the dialog I referenced; the context of the particular statement leaves little room for interpretation.

There's a huge difference between sarcastic or dark humor used in a private conversation between those who know it as such,

and placing the same in the arena of public gun rights debate.

Edited by mnshooter

Its not the "PC Police", its not handing a sound bite to the libtards that could go viral in todays media. Its called "common sense" and not attracting negative attention to the NFA community. I will see if Curtis can edit that statement out, because it had zero to do with the video. I look forward to entertaining everyone one day at one of the many shoots and meetings that go on, where private talk is private.

The Paul Harvey "rest of the story" was how frustrating it was to sit in meeting where "briefs" are being given and the "Staff "officers start with "briefs" that have 60 to 100 slides, These slides have quad charts (ie four main topics per slide) and have over 100 back up slides!!! You were numb before the 90 Minute brief was over. Trying to keep tempo going getting bad guys when the Commander is sequestered out of his mind in these endless briefs was frustrating! Not the way to fight wars and go after terrorists!