Bump Stock Ban Allegedly Close

The Lone Ranger

• 3 weeks later...

While Bumb Stocks may not be your cup of tea the government should not be able to accomplish this ex post facto end run around the second amendment, do you remember when street sweepers were made DD's simply because they were black and ugly, there are much better shotguns now out on the market that RE BETTER, FASTER and not DD

Just remember, if they get away with doing this, they can easily get away with banning full auto completely. I applaud GOA for going after this, this law should be overturned if there is any credence in our justice system, (I'm not holding my breath)!.

MH

So the government (ATF) allows the manufacture of a gun stock that is not considered a machine gun and folks purchase the item. Then the ATF being pressured by Trump changes the status to machine gun and now they are to be confiscated without compensation or any consideration to have them taxed and allow the existing inventory to be sold/bought.

I am still scratching my bald head on this. I don't own one nor ever had the urge to purchase but this just does not add up.

• 4 weeks later...

giantpune, on 22 Dec 2018 - 10:20, said:

The ruling says nothing about binary triggers. They still aren't machineguns.

The ATF site has instruction for how to destroy bumpstocks. They're very specific down to individual models and manufacturers. They listed like 15 different bumpstocks an not one page about binary triggers.

The other way to "destroy" bump stocks would be to fusion weld the action in numerous ways making the stock solid, but you didn't see that offered did you? Courts have banned some people from drunk driving their cars, but I've not heard of the court ordering their car be sawed in two pieces?

When the 94 ban passed, existing CAR/M4 type stocks were glued in place with black epoxy, turning them into fixed length, with no issue.

ATF only cautions that other methods may not meet their (unspecified) criteria for bumpstock deactivation -oops, I meant

destruction.

"They came for bump stocks, and I didn't speak up, because I didn't own a bump stock...."

If this doesn't sound familiar, do yourself a favor with some reading.

Edited by mnshooter

While Bumb Stocks may not be your cup of tea the government should not be able to accomplish this ex post facto end run around the second amendment, do you remember when street sweepers were made DD's simply because they were black and ugly, there are much better shotguns now out on the market that RE BETTER, FASTER and not DD

I know this gets crazy but I can explain it:

How it works is EVERYTHING ​over a .50 bore diameter can be subject to a "sporting use" determination

This works both ways

For example a .600 Nitro Express has a sporting exemption

What Clinton did via Bentsen was to take it the other way

as Street Sweepers and the USAS were over .50 in bore diameter Treasury was within the law to determine that they were not sporting, whatever that means LOL

Truth is ATFE could ban any shotgun they were inclined to declare as non sporting with a pen stroke

I was pretty sure this would happen to Saiga 12 conversions under Obama but nope instead the bureau restated their position otherwise.

Maybe gun banning Barr will do it as are new AG

Always said it usually takes a Democrat to create bad law initially but more often than not it takes some statist Republican tool to actually enforce it.

I

Of course the flip side may be Trump did exactly what the democrats asked him to do with effectively complete confiscation, and as draconian as possible, knowing full well that it would be shot down by the courts when challenged? Win win for everyone but the liberals and he gets to say he banned them. If I had a postie lower I'd submit the whole thing to tech branch and ask for a ruling as to whether it was one machine gun or two and see what the response is? And if mfr's can posses them if form 2'ed as post samples?

I agree if this holds it's an inch and it will result in further demands. I just wish the hill we were pushing up wasn't necessarily bump stocks?

I don't see where it allows for even SOTs to possess them LOL

giantpune, on 22 Dec 2018 - 10:20, said:

The ruling says nothing about binary triggers. They still aren't machineguns.

The ATF site has instruction for how to destroy bumpstocks. They're very specific down to individual models and manufacturers. They listed like 15 different bumpstocks an not one page about binary triggers.

The other way to "destroy" bump stocks would be to fusion weld the action in numerous ways making the stock solid, but you didn't see that offered did you? Courts have banned some people from drunk driving their cars, but I've not heard of the court ordering their car be sawed in two pieces?

When the 94 ban passed, existing CAR/M4 type stocks were glued in place with black epoxy, turning them into fixed length, with no issue.

ATF only cautions that other methods may not meet their (unspecified) criteria for bumpstock deactivation -oops, I meant

destruction.

"They came for bump stocks, and I didn't speak up, because I didn't own a bump stock...."

If this doesn't sound familiar, do yourself a favor with some reading.

another very curious point was the initial era of AR pistols

most guys here probably were not paying attention years ago however they started up as XM177 clones in the late 70s

There was at least one outfit that was knocking out CAR stocks that were solid die cast units in collapsed configuaration

We were building them up with 10 & 11.5" barrels. I did two of these back then

Then the bureau swapped panties, decided they were actually SBRs

yeah under Republican control

Even running a CAR buffer tube sans stock was bad

That's all changed and it happened under Obama

No, don't like the last President, actually detest him but it was

under his administration Slide Fires were legalized and Trumps where that is trying to be reversed

That's the way it almost always works out