got my new barrel wrench and vice

so i purchased my 4th thompson last month and wanted to get some mods done on it and dan told me i was about 6 months out for getting work done in the meantime i wanted to get this one ready for ww2 reenacting. ive been having the blank fire barrels installed so i didnt want to go the sbr route. i have a couple of them already and selling them has proven to be quite the wait 14 months on the last transfer. i also wanted the ability to be able to swap barrels to live fire. so the wrench was a great idea.

mohawk64 builds a serious set up. i bought both the wrench and vice....this is a tool that you have to learn to use. there is a video he recommended watching. its called

Gangster number revealed its on youtube they go through the steps using this wrench and vice to remove a barrel from an original gun to reveal the serial number under the grip rest. it was very informative. the use of the emory cloth worked very well i had zero scratches on my barrel after the removal and install of both barrels. dan has done a two of my guns with the quick change set up and now i have something that will enable me to get them in and out with ease. i will say when i was removing the factory barrel i was a bit nervous .it was just a matter of tightening the wrench a few times as the emory cloth formed around the barrel the rough side faces out away from the barrel. i went to lowes and bought a 30 inch piece of 3/4 black gas pipe. 3/4 is inside diameter the outside gives you the one inch you need for the hole in the wrench. just my two cents. thanks for listening

peter

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...
On 12/30/2021 at 9:12 AM, peter kohler said:

so i purchased my 4th thompson last month and wanted to get some mods done on it and dan told me i was about 6 months out for getting work done in the meantime i wanted to get this one ready for ww2 reenacting. ive been having the blank fire barrels installed so i didnt want to go the sbr route. i have a couple of them already and selling them has proven to be quite the wait 14 months on the last transfer. i also wanted the ability to be able to swap barrels to live fire. so the wrench was a great idea.

mohawk64 builds a serious set up. i bought both the wrench and vice....this is a tool that you have to learn to use. there is a video he recommended watching. its called

Gangster number revealed its on youtube they go through the steps using this wrench and vice to remove a barrel from an original gun to reveal the serial number under the grip rest. it was very informative. the use of the emory cloth worked very well i had zero scratches on my barrel after the removal and install of both barrels. dan has done a two of my guns with the quick change set up and now i have something that will enable me to get them in and out with ease. i will say when i was removing the factory barrel i was a bit nervous .it was just a matter of tightening the wrench a few times as the emory cloth formed around the barrel the rough side faces out away from the barrel. i went to lowes and bought a 30 inch piece of 3/4 black gas pipe. 3/4 is inside diameter the outside gives you the one inch you need for the hole in the wrench. just my two cents. thanks for listening

peter

I will not be doing this, however i had heard that the torque on the TSMG barrels is unbelievable, enough to turn the workbench over! I also keep a 3 foot length of HD black cast iron pipe... leverage man!