New Auto-Ordnance Corporation Book

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fantastic book, lots of new information can be found in the newspaper articles and stock reports.

Bill's tour of the partial remains of the old A-O factory and the factory firing range photos wow!

It is hard to believe that the range has survived all these years. That basement would make a great A-O museum.

The color photos of the factory alone are worth the price of the book.

Great job Bill!

Bill,

I received my book yesterday and a really great book it is.

I have about 5 or 6 books on the TSMG and my wife has spent a total of 5 minutes looking at them.

She spent over 1.5 hours looking at your book this morning and was fascinated by the old pictures and news clippings.

So it should be a hit with people besides TSMG collectors.

Another thing I really liked about it was the fact that nowhere was it written that the 21 was in any way superior to the 28. A claim that not all books can make.

Jim C

Edited by jim c 351

Received Bill's book yesterday. To much information for me to read in one day. I had asked Bill to sign it but he choose not to for some reason and I was

disappointed in that. He put a lot of work into it. It will look good in my own display. Thanks Bill for sending it so quick. Charlie

We are very fortunate to have one of the best Forums on the Internet devoted to a subject we all enjoy. The reputation of this Board is second to none. We have a great past owner, current owner and excellent administrators that ensure the conduct of all parties is courteous and educational. This is the place to learn about the Thompson submachine gun.

Bill Menosky has been a member of this Board for many years, all the while doing research on the Auto-Ordnance Corporation in Bridgeport, Connecticut. Those that frequent this Board soon understand the history of the Thompson gun is so vast that you have to start a library just to keep up with all the known facts. They also soon learn that so much is unknown and makes for great discussion with fellow enthusiasts. With this book, Bill has taken us a big step closer to knowing more about this iconic gun and the company and employees that produced it. This is a must have book for those that are serious students of our beloved Thompson. Like a lot of niche books, it is privately printed and sold. When the initial print run is gone, that may be it. This is the time to obtain what will certainly be a sought after and classic book in the future. Let me add my comments to those above thanking Bill for a great piece of work.

TD.

Bill, congratulations on your book. I ordered mine today. If possible would you please sign my book.

Thank you,

Darren Brewer

Tom,

Many thanks to you for the bump and for the very positive words about the book. I am indebted to you, the Willis family and the Maguire family for some great contributions. I also have to thank David Albert for allowing us to launch both of our publications right in the middle of the best / largest / most informed gathering of Thompson enthusiasts. My hat is off big time.

Darren & mgvince,

Thanks for the orders. Your books will go out Mon AM.

We are very fortunate to have one of the best Forums on the Internet devoted to a subject we all enjoy. The reputation of this Board is second to none. We have a great past owner, current owner and excellent administrators that ensure the conduct of all parties is courteous and educational. This is the place to learn about the Thompson submachine gun.

I wholeheartedly agree, this is an excellent forum, one of the best gun sites on the internet.

Practically everything I know about Thompsons I got from this website.

Edited by buzz

Paul,

Thanks for the kind words. Although I was able to talk to people who actually worked at the plant, it would have been great to talk to a couple of dozen more.

I'm actually still trying to locate some people from the list that I have but the clock is advancing...

Should have started the interviews 10 or 15 years ago. A lot has occurred since then.

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve had my copy of Bill’s book for more than a month now and I find myself picking it up again and again. The amount of research that went into it is amazing. The story of Auto-Ordnance is a great example of why America’s manufacturing prowess was such a decisive factor in winning the war.

Bill’s description of Bridgeport brought up a lot of memories from my own childhood. I was born in Dayton, Ohio, right after WW II and heard many stories from relatives and my parent’s friends about their work at defense plants in Dayton such as Frigidaire and Inland. Frigidaire produced over 360,000 M2 .50 caliber machine guns during the war and Inland was the top manufacturer of M1 and M2 Carbines (almost 2.4 million). Efforts such as those in Bridgeport and Dayton the world will not see again for a very long time. Hats off to Bill for a wonderful book.