Found Letter from Fed on Inventory in Baby Face Nelson Car

Going through old file cabinets of stuff. yep found another 27 Thompson gun transfers, Anyhow came across letter dated 1991 with fed inventory sheet from 11-27-34 if this is way old news let me know unless somebody wants to know what was in it.looks like only two Thompsons Crowley number #13239 DRUM 100 RD #1774 And Nelson gun with loaded 20 round magazine #2179.. of course two other pages of stuff but first time I have read this since 1991 when the agent mailed it to me also showed a Colt 38 super #13820 which is on the Chicago police dept inventory as of 1938..

I am sure all this stuff is already posted. also found some cool info on my old movie MGM Thompson #3965 used by McQueen, Wallace Beery, and Robert Taylor, from the Big House, to Never So Few, to Bataan. I can give a copy to who needs it at SAR SHOW next week.

Colt 21A Ron

• Upvote 1

That's called some H-I-S-T-O-R-Y there, folks. Thanks Ron. Hadn't heard or read about those Nelson battle serial numbers.

Now Barrington IL is quite the upper crust community. I've visited the battle monument a few times, behind the MacDonald's on Route 14. It's part of a park. Likely posted here somewhere.

Ron M.

Yeah Ron I guess more useless paperwork everybody around here already has.

And here I thought it was something neat.

goes' to show old WAR DOGS are just that OLD!!

Colt21A Ron

Ron,

Not useless, pretty interesting stuff. I was interested to learn the number of the Bureau gun that Crowley had. Any possibility of getting a copy of that? I'd like to pass it along to Jack Meador for his collection.

Yeah Ron I guess more useless paperwork everybody around here already has.

And here I thought it was something neat.

goes' to show old WAR DOGS are just that OLD!!

Colt21A Ron

Ron, I was referring to the location of the monument being posted somewhere here on the boards , certainly not your interesting info on the serial numbers, etc. It is something neat. I love that stuff.

And this old dog ain't too far behind you in the OLD Department...

Edited by Ron Mills

Chuck send me address will make you copy, the 38 Super was Hollis handgun.Correction on number#14820 that is why I posted that number seems four years later it still was in Chicago pd's Inventory, I got that info in 1991 the agent mailed it to me,The other agents name was Ladd. I also thought the hundred round drum info was great the number was not defaced off it. And no mention of a B.A.R. but has Ammo and Magazines for it. I just thought it was interesting since I also found my Chicago file photo and envelope also of Tony Beradi's {I think that was his name} garage picture with the 38 Special on the floor in front of the bodies. St. Val. 2-14-29.

I sold and gave away most all that stuff I collected over the past fifty years, but hey some people still like the history.

Colt21A Ron

Hiya Ron,

I'd be very interested to see the whole thing, serial numbers, magazines, ammunition, all the details are fascinating to me. I've dredged through the entire Dillinger file posted by the FBI in their "vault" for stuff like this, but unfortunately the file is incomplete, basically ending with Dillinger's death and even missing a good chunk in the middle ... Anyway, I can shoot you my email if that's preferable. Many thanks!

Cheers

HANS

Hans do that can mail you a copy, since I am not sure this was sent to anybody but me in 1991 while doing research for Gordon. Many don't know it but I helped him with a lot of the info for his book. And things I located that he never saw. I miss the friendship and the great conversations I had with Gordon over the years. People that can't be replaced.

Colt21A Ron

Cool stuff Ron. Interesting to me is the mention of the BAR magazine & ammo. Does Helmer know about this ?

My computer and phone have been on the glitz off and on for a time & I keep getting a busy signal on Helmer.

I'm sure Colt Chopper will see you at SAR, be fun to hear what he says and all.

Thanks for posting the stuff, some I knew of some not.

OCM

I will make a copy for Colt Chopper he might want it since it is the fed file report, And Mentions Nelson and Chase,And the guns by Serial number also a few rifles and shotgun on there also two pages of stuff.I thought the hundred round drum serial was neat. I guess Nelson forgot to scrape that one.Also found Marine Corps issued serial numbers I think I gave that copy to Gordon for the book,on 21's and 28's And the story of the Guns of Cork....I really wish now one person had it all, I think I shipped packages of stuff to twenty people split up forever....Colt21A Ron

Ron-

Got thru to Helmer today, he talked about you & him & Harold and someone else doing stuff at the Lexington and all. Funny, I still have Rubin's business cards in my cars file: Chicago Legends, Riverside, Ill.

Was interested in the BAR magazine & ammo due to the Colt Monitor in the car with Chase.

OCM

Oh yes Bill and me had some darn good times back in Chicago And then he had to move. Many a night went spent at his place talking Thompsons, gangsters and outlaws. A forum member here has one of the desk sets. I gave him a screaming deal on it you never know he might sell it now. Mike from New Mexico who comes around once and awhile bought a ton of stuff from me.

And a few others also. And many from the Midwest and out east. I should have documented it all in a book for future History..ha ha Millennials can care less...

Colt21 A Ron

I will run off a few sets so you guys can say we took that Chicago Gangster to the cleaners.I will expect some form of payment back...maybe a picture of a cool Thompson... will see you there Travel safe. Colt21A Ron

The second day it became the Soup Nazi line. However I took care of the guys who asked. Will mail out the ones to those I promised. next week. everybody travel safe getting back home,Colt21A Ron