Savage Commercial 1928

Gents:

At a gun show yesterday, I saw a beautiful 1928 Savage,

Model of 1928", Serial 334XXX. Bright bolt; horizontal forend; looked like 2nd model compensator; good Lyman on rear; crossbolt stock, of course. I couldn't see any inspector marks or flaming bomb. The owner said it was bought by his Dad in 1961 in Wisconsin, was dewatted (why?), but is "papered", and could be rewatted again. I didn't think to ask what "papered" meant, as I was drooling over the 98% or so condition of the gun. I didn't ask to inspect it, being the gent that I am. I hate to get turned down anyway.

I looked in Frank's book, but couldn't find info on commercial Savages with that high of a serial number. Anybody help on that, and the "papered" term?

Thanks,

Ron

Ron,

My Savage TSMG is of a similar serial number and has the U.S. and A1 buffed out. Look very carefully, they did a nice job of buffing on mine. My gun has the horizontal foregrip, finned barrel, Lyman sight, non-cross bolt stock,and knurled actuator. It does not have the military proof marks. I would conservatively rate mine at 85%. It came with several XXX mags, two XX mags, and an L drum which did not work till Merle fixed it (Thanks, again Merle).

Mine was at one time the property of a police department (came with a property tag)and the prior owner believes the gun was sold to the police originally, hence the lack of military proofs.

The gun you saw may be a similar one.

That serial number is too high for a "commercial" Savage. By that serial number all production was going to the U.S. Ordnance or Lend Lease.

Only during the early 1940-41 British contract were the "commercial" Savages sold to PDs. The "commercial" guns were exactly the same as the British contract guns execept no military proofs were stamped on them. They were simply pulled from the production line whenever a LE agency wanted to buy one. That all ended when the Lend Lease and US purchases began.