Webley Tear Gas Gun - Late 1920's Federal Laboratories

All,

Tracie HIll forwarded me some images of a Webley Gas Gun in his collection, which was available from Federal Laboratories in the late 1920's. Somewhere in my paper collection, I have an original ad for these.

I didn't realize these were made by Webley, and I also didn't realize they were marked "Federal Laboratories Pittsburgh Penna" until I saw these photos. Now I want one.

I welcome any input you may have on this tear gas gun. Here are the photos:

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/dalbert/MGBoards/TearGas/WebleyFedLabs-1.JPG

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/dalbert/MGBoards/TearGas/WebleyFedLabs-2.JPG

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/dalbert/MGBoards/TearGas/WebleyFedLabs-3.JPG

I think this is the same type of gas gun that was in a box with several others that Barry found on "Storage Wars." His had a prison ID tag on it. I'd be interested in seeing photos of that one, if anyone knows where it ended up after the show.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Hello David,

Nice example!

This style was the first type "1.5" Gas Gun" that was offered by Federal Laboratories Circa 1928 - 1933. Federal obtained a quantity of WW1 Era Webley & Scott Flare Launchers that were available as surplus from The Great War and simply modified them by reworking the actions, adding new stocks and chrome plating for sale / use as gas guns. I do not believe that The Webley & Scott Company had any involvement with Federal Laboratories in manufacture or modifications for use as gas guns. This launcher design was also the first type of US Commercial Gas Gun offered.

Also the first chemical agent cartridges offered with these guns were simply modified WW1 Surplus Live 38MM Flare Cartridges, that Federal pulled the pyrotechnic flare composition from and reloaded with a CN Burning Gas Agent.

As the "gas gun" idea proved itself to be effective, popular and most importantly profitable, Federal began the manufacture of its own launcher design and ammunition.

Stay safe,

Frank

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

A friend of mine here in Sydney got one of these from Joe Salter a little while ago. The chrome plating was in poor shape. It had a small copper plate on the stock with a rack number punched in. Other than the polishing and chrome plating the gun and stock were un-modified from when they were made.

Regards

AlanD

Sydney

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Thanks for posting this.

My wife's uncle passed recently and I've been tasked with selling the firearms and ammo. I was a little concerned that the flare gun that I had identified as a Webley No1 Mk1 may have been a fake based on the stamp on the stock. Good to know that its not fake, it just has a slightly different (and a little more interesting) history. The recess in the stock and the back of part that screws into it are both stamped 422 which would suggest that the parts were matched for good fitment.

Just figured you guys might like to know that your posts may be useful even years down the road!

Thanks again,

John

A couple of cell phone pics

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/2774/20130303214337.jpghttp://imageshack.us/a/img838/9197/20130303214249.jpghttp://imageshack.us/a/img16/6082/20130303214058.jpg

• Upvote 1

jrb9,

Welcome to the board!

Sorry to hear about your family loss. Hopefully you will be able to dispose of the firearm assets in good time. You should not have a problem selling the gas gun.

Yes, many old posts here serve as living references for the future. I'm glad the board helped you. Thanks for posting your pictures.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

jrb9,

Welcome to the board!

Sorry to hear about your family loss. Hopefully you will be able to dispose of the firearm assets in good time. You should not have a problem selling the gas gun.

Yes, many old posts here serve as living references for the future. I'm glad the board helped you. Thanks for posting your pictures.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Prior to finding this thread the most info I'd been able to find was that these are popular for conversion into "Boba Fett" guns for star wars fans. Pretty sure my wife's uncle didn't procure it for that purpose. He owned an Auto Ordinance M1A1 among other class 3 items (missing, feared stolen) so its fitting that I found the info here.

• 1 month later...

I also have one of these. Great to have a piece of history in your hands. No further info I can add. great to hear about the others though.

• 4 years later...

New addition to my collection. Former Auburn NY Prison Gas Gun Circa 1928. Auburn was opened in 1818 and was the site of the first execution by electric chair in 1890. Also preformed the electric chair execution of President McKinleys Assassin in 1901. The traditional American prison uniform, consisting of horizontal black and white stripes, originated at Auburn. Also the "Auburn System," a correctional system in which prisoners were housed in solitary confinement in large rectangular buildings, and performed penal labor under silence that was enforced at all times. If this gun could only talk!

See photos.

Stay safe,

Frank

2540B05F-234B-4DA3-A0D0-EEAB9D948025.jpeg

BF205963-C2D2-4DC2-B565-91F866EA2C98.jpeg

62ABBFC6-E85C-4AC0-B588-156C2C8E574F.jpeg

F9A46D37-8CF1-42A1-B41A-1D3EBC2242E0.jpeg

Edited by inertord