W H For 22,500.00 !

Not even Shipping or Insurance is covered at that price.................

http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/blink.gif

Ad Information

Ad Number: 5462

Date Posted: 01/06/2005

Price: 22500.00

WH Korean War Commemorative Thompson, Limited Edition, issued by The American Historical Foundation, display case, gray velvet,50rnd crosby drum, 3ea. 30 rnd mag, 1ea. 20 rnd mag, gold details. Asking $22500.00 plus transfer tax, shipping and insurance.

Contact Information

Name: thomas mullenix

State/Province: Oklahoma

E-Mail Address: tmullenix@msn.com

Hawkeye,

Glad you brought this up as I just ran across the ad on subguns. I believe this is the same Commerative that someone has been trying to sell for an awful long time at 10,500 or so-

Perhaps the seller thinks that lookers would think something is "wrong" with it with the price below what other WH's are bringing priced it 10K higher than them since its so "special" (voice of Church lady Dana Carvey).

We will have to see if his marketing theory is right or not- nothing would shock me but I would be a wee bit surprised.

Thought I had read here these were some of the last made in 1986, think the comment might have been made they might be more so out of spec given worn tooling, I can't remember exactly-may be wrong there.

Your probably right there Phil, thing doesn't do it for me either.

But if they had gold plated the whole thing??........... Naw, never mind

No pimp or in the NBA or Rap Music Industry who "might" like it could qualify.

There were 145 of the Korean War Commemorative '28's made in 1984 according to the Auto Ord list. (85 WWII Commems were made in '83 and 17 Vietnam Commms were made in '85). They're usually listed for $12K-15K or roughly the same as a "regular" West Hurley '28. One could get an IMA or Ohio Ord kit for about $1000 and swap over the parts to make a shooter.

In this offer what is interesting is the display case. The full auto case is sized for the short barrel and apparently very few were sold with the guns as they were relatively expensive when compared to the price of the gun.

EDITED TO ADD:

Dug through an old ad. The full-auto version of the Korean War Commemorative Model 1928 Thompson sold by American Historical Foundation went for $1545 in 1984. The display case was another $225 on top of that.

MP

Edited by Merry Ploughboy

One unmentioned aspect is that they ARE C&R guns. I have seen a couple here in Minnesota that the owners have had sandblasted and Parkerized. they look much better after all the gold crap comes off. They almost look "normal". BUT they are still C&R guns. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif

I've even thought about buying one and doing this IF I found one cheap enough....

john

You are correct, they are indeed C & R guns. I have a 1928 WWII Commemorative which I have shot over 7k rounds through. It always runs perfect with no misfires or problems. Don't worry about the gold inlays. They wear off after enough shooting and cleanings. I have all Savage parts in mine. I bought it as a shooter. If I had a real expensive Thompson, I would shoot the crap out of it too. They are for shooting, not collecting. I keep all the gold parts, fancy stock, and forearm in a box. Spare parts I guess. They are good for people in C & R only states. I wouldn't trade mine for a Colt.

Rick

I've never seen one of those up close. Does it actually have commemorative markings engraved on them on the receiver?

Sgt,

They have all kinds of engraving inlaid with gold on both sides of the receiver. To me they are just a shooter. I know it is a big hit when we go shooting. Everyone wants to shoot my Commemorative. It runs my N.Y. L drum without a hic-cup. If you want, I can e-mail you a couple of pics showing what is left of the inlays.

Rick

Yea guys, I'd love to see pics of the receiver markings on those.

had one ,sold it> nothing special!!

and for the mere price of $22,000.00 raise that bad boy to at least $44,500.00 what are we piker's??

we surely can afford to spend more money......we have to keep the dream alive!

take care,ron

I bought my KWA gun as a shooter. It already had some blems. I picked the gold inlay out with a toothbrush. Bought some GI parts from time to time. Put a Cutts comp and Lyman sight on it. (which I now regret) Finished some NOS wood....

http://drf.lart.net/guns/WH/clean/125-2517_IMG_sm.jpg

I've spent more than I should on the parts, but as it stands I don't think I'm upside down with it. In retrospect I would have just put the aperture sight on. The Lyman sight was way overpriced, and really doesn't add any functionality. The WH sight had to go, it was truely a POS.

I'm thrilled with the accuracy from the wanna be Lyman site.

It doesn't look as pretty as the original but it hits every time.

I'd be afraid to swap it out and loose the accuracy.

Nice looking gun Beechnut!