Thompson L Drum Value

By original do you mean WWII original or 1920’s New York address original? The price will vary depending on the condition so maybe you can clarify a bit more. If you have pictures of a drum that you have or are looking at buying then that will help the members of this board give you a better idea. I would also look around at older posts that may assist you like this one below.

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21872&hl=%2Bdrum+%2Bmagazine&do=findComment&comment=191958

I’d also look at this pinned thread that talks about the different types of box and drum magazines

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9897

Sorry, I should have specified a little more. I don't have any pictures of an exact drum, I'm just looking at purchasing an original ww2 drum. Not looking for a show piece or anything like that, just a nice shape original wartime drum. I figured I'd ask first before making a purchase. I almost bought one earlier today with an original drum pouch but someone beat me to it. It seemed like a good price to me but I don't have much experience with them. Thanks

Sorry, I should have specified a little more. I don't have any pictures of an exact drum, I'm just looking at purchasing an original ww2 drum. Not looking for a show piece or anything like that, just a nice shape original wartime drum. I figured I'd ask first before making a purchase. I almost bought one earlier today with an original drum pouch but someone beat me to it. It seemed like a good price to me but I don't have much experience with them. Thanks

So what, exactly, seemed like a good price to you?

The set that I saw was on gunbroker. Just about every drum I've seen for sale the past year or so the seller wants at least a $1000. The one I was looking at was $800 and it came with an original drum pouch. I don't know much about the current value of drums but it seemed fair. That's why I was curious of the current value.

I own just one WWII "L" drum. I'm embarrassed to say that I paid $1,000 for it. NOS, with the original winding key hang tag and factory cardboard box. I shoot the repro drums from Taiwan.

Where do you get the Taiwan drums from? There is a guy who has some new production ones on Gun Broker for around $159, but Im kind of scared to buy one. Does anyone know if they are worth a crap or not?

Through the link below. Looks like they're currently out of stock. Others might have them:

https://www.keepshooting.com/thompsonr-compatible-drum.html

Here's a Small Arms Review article on repro drums that discusses Taiwanese "L" drums. Scroll down to "In 2007":

http://www.smallarmsreview.com/display.article.cfm?idarticles=4049

I bought some of the early Crosby and Thompson marked Taiwanese drums, right after others on these boards had determined that their quality was excellent. IIRC, they were $119 each. They're beautifully made and finished, and work great. They came heavily oiled in sealed plastic sleeves, in unmarked white cardboard boxes. Each drum was factory test fired, and came with a card so stating. I have one that's still unopened. Later drums lack the words Crosby and Thompson, but they're still of the same great quality, and have the other replicated markings.

Rumor had it at the time that these drums were made by the same Taiwanese company that made magazines for the Type 57 rifle, the ROC produced M14. I can believe it. The type 57 magazines I have are also very nicely made, and have the same blued (rather than parked) finish as the drums.

Edited by TSMGguy

Where do you get the Taiwan drums from? There is a guy who has some new production ones on Gun Broker for around $159, but Im kind of scared to buy one. Does anyone know if they are worth a crap or not?

Use the "Search" function on this forum, there is extensive info on the Taiwan repops from the original order, to removing the Crosby name, to today. All have been excellent shooters, which can't generally be said for the Kahr production ones.

WW2 drums for a good price are not found on Gunbroker most of the time, too many eyes looking at a nice item means higher bid prices. Local shops, shows, and private sellers are it.

Just bought a Bridgeport drum last weekend at a local show. It is brand new, never loaded and beautiful. Still has cosmoline in it....

That was $275 and the best deal I've gotten in a USGI drum in years.

Think I own 8- or 9 GI drums now, a few westies and a repro Crosby from Taiwan.....

They ARE out there.....

$275 is a great price for a Bridgeport drum! I am thinking nice Bridgeport drums usually run somewhere between $400 and $600, again, depending on condition, seller, buyer, location, etc..

I believe the Numrich Type L drums are the made in Taiwan drums. I know the C drums are made in Taiwan. The current batch of L drums will not be marked with the Thompson name. If I am not mistaken, I believe Numrich has a good return policy if the buyer is not satisfied.

The C and L drums that Numrich is selling are the Taiwan drums. They also offer a "Teflon coated" version of the L-drum, which they have had for some time. I don't know whether all of those are the Taiwan drums or not. Probably best to stick with the blued version.

A quick way to identify the Taiwan drums is by the two fairly deep dimples on their faceplates, front and back, which I assume is for proper alignment of the plates on the body/cover. The dimple at the top of the plate is in the center, and the one at the bottom is 3/4 to the right. All of the Taiwan-made drums have these offset dimples. The Colt/WWII/Hurley/Kahr drums do not have these dimples. Another unique feature of the Taiwan drums is the contour of the winding key rivets. The the shape is rounded at the bottom, but they are ground flat about half way up. This is different from some of the Kahr rivets which look like just flat heads.

I have heard rumors that Kahr is now having the same company in Taiwan make their drums for them, but I cannot confirm that with any documentation nor have I seen any examples.

As has been noted above, the Taiwan C and L drums are all well-made and function reliably, unlike their West Hurley and Kahr cousins. If you want a shooter drum, I highly recommend the Taiwan-made drums.

Ron is correct. The springs in the Taiwan drums need to be greased. They will function without, but lack of grease will limit their longevity.

TD is right ...most I've seen lately are SELLING for 500-600 clams. Of course there are a lot out there with ASKING prices of around a grand.

The one I found was an anomaly for sure, but really made me smile!