M1 For Sale by Ruben

Anyone happen to see what this one was initially listed for?

http://www.subguns.com/classifieds/index.cgi?db=nfafirearms&website=&language=&session_key=&search_and_display_db_button=on&results_format=long&db_id=28768&query=retrieval

(was already 'SPF' by the time I found it... sold quick!)

The one Frank had for sale didn't catch many bids on Gunbroker, though I'm informed it sold

quickly via his email list (which I'm on... now, anyway).

The only reason I didn't buy the Philadelphia Ordnance gun was that I decided if I'm only going

to have one M1 Thompson, I think I'd be happier with a genuine WW2 gun.

• 1 month later...

Well, happy to report that my search for an M1 Thompson is (finally) over... ended

up buying one from a board member, discussed previously in these threads--

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20876

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18510&page=1

LoL, probably not much to add to the discussion except for maybe a range report in 1+ year's time

or so.

Thanks for everyone's input during my search - much appreciated!

"SM"

• 1 month later...

Greetings all,

Just a f/u on this thread...

The M1 arrived at my dealer last week... so about 5 weeks on the Form 3 transfer (AZ --> TN).

To me, the gun looks awesome; I realize it's a "RePark" but still-- amazing for a 70-year old piece of history!

Nice, bright bore, too...

So now, "the wait" Part II begins... but, ATF is past the "trust rule change" surge/backlog so hopefully under a year...

Let me also add that 'azboater' was a great guy to deal with-- the item was as described & he promptly took

care of things on his end. "A+++" LoL...

"SM"

P.S. -- starting to toy with the idea of getting a genuine Colt next (probably, a 1921AC) but I suppose that's a thread for

another day...

Please don't mix up my comment about Frank's ads with the other poster's not-so-very-logical comments about "greedy sellers" and "thieving auctions."

Deliberately ambiguous advertising has nothing to do with the free market pricing of collector items or paying an auction house for their honest services.

Those are three completely different topics.

I've been reading Franks ads for a long enough time to have made the personal decision to never buy from him under any circumstances. You of course are free to do as you please.

As far as the current pricing of the gun collector market and auction fees goes, they both fall under the heading of "free market capitalism", which I am in favor of.

My comments are very logical. The fact you don't grasp them is your problem!

Well good luck with that.

• 6 months later...

Greetings,

Got my "new" (to me) M1 Thompson out of NFA jail yesterday, and thought I'd share

a few pics with the group. [For those interested, the Form 4 transfer time was right

at 7 months.]

With the new trust rules settling out, thinking about what I might purchase next in

the NFA world... I've toyed with getting an M1921, although something like an

M3 "Grease gun" would go better with my WW2 theme...

Not in any big hurry, and what I finally decide will most likely be influenced by what's

available...

SM

post-260042-0-77228800-1521311619_thumb.jpg

post-260042-0-83638600-1521311647_thumb.jpg

post-260042-0-45394500-1521311680_thumb.jpg

post-260042-0-43365600-1521311703_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Congrats!!! very nice M1 and friends!! btw when was your check cashed?? Thx Vin

Thanks everyone for all the positive comments.

The specific timeline on this transfer:

8 / 14 / 2017 - Form 4 signed; mailed the next day

8 / 22 / 2017 - Check ($200) for X-fer fee clears

3 / 08 / 2018 - Form 4 approved by NFA examiner

Congrats!!! very nice M1 and friends!! btw when was your check cashed?? Thx Vin

Thanks everyone for all the positive comments.

The specific timeline on this transfer:

8 / 14 / 2017 - Form 4 signed; mailed the next day

8 / 22 / 2017 - Check ($200) for X-fer fee clears

3 / 08 / 2018 - Form 4 approved by NFA examiner

Ok thx

I had a check clear on 8/21 and my seller called me on 2/15 saying the stamp arrived. I had another check cashed on 8/10 and stamp arrived at the seller on Jan 30 both F4 individual so times are coming down.

Edited by Petroleum 1

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/637616519

here;s an option from frank...says $22k and he will end the auction...use the remaining $4k saved and buy his $5,900 Mac 10

He would certainly win, worst pictures ever posted.

Eric

I agree. I don't know how anyone would consider spending $22K on a Thompson that is being sold using photos like this. If you have questions about it, all you have to do is filter every question through a middleman who hasn't seen the gun, either. Maybe it's a steal...maybe it's a reweld. I guess the buyer will find out when they receive it in a year. But, I guess you have 3 days to decide, once you receive it. Maybe that helps....a little bit.

Just some hypothetical questions on this type of transaction...

Does Frank absorb the cost of a return, or does the seller wait until the transfer goes though, and the 3 days have passed for the buyer to inspect before they get paid by Frank? (A total of 8-12 months for the seller to get paid?)

If the seller is paid immediately by Frank, and you want to return the item, do you have to wait until the 3rd party seller returns your money? What if they spent it on surgery, or a Camaro? Is it sent by the seller directly, or through/by Frank? How long would you have to wait to get your money back? What if the MG market takes a dive? Will that affect the refund timing?

Is the firearm insured while waiting for the transfer to clear?

Is the firearm insured for damage and/or loss while being transported to the buyer, or to his/her dealer?

In a transaction that includes accessories, if the extras turn out to be something less than advertised by the third party owner, is the only recourse to return the entire package?

There's a lot of faith involved in an NFA transaction. This kind of transaction would make me nervous. I guess it doesn't produce the same apprehension in some others, but what happens if a transaction goes very wrong?

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

You could say that about ANY firearm bought without personal inspection.

I have bought 3 guns from Frank.

1 in my paws and two in batfe jail.

The one I bought was supposed to be a COLT 9MM SBR.

That's what the ad said but I followed up with a specific question; "Is this a COLT or a Colt conversion ?"

"COLT"

One year later I go to file final paperwork and its a Colt conversion.

So I call them.

"What do you need to make it right ?"

I mention a largish discount (doesn't hurt to ask right ?).

"Done".

That level of customer satisfaction deserves more business IMO.

So I bought two MG's based on the photos they could provide and the promise; "You will be happy".

Frank sells guns all day everyday.

He is a dealer who deals guns he buys. Everything must be sold.

He is not a connoisseur.

Other dealers stock inventory waiting months and years for "The Right Guy".

IMO Frank is going to dominate the market in short time.

Well its been a year and two resent Form 4 revisions to their original filing and still no guns.

Thank GAWD !! I have a C+R and they are sending them to me......................................................................................................................................................................................eventually.

Seriously what a rat F*** !

Cant say I'll NEVER do business with Frank and Company again but it had better be a fricken steal to put up with this incompetence.

Frank'n Dudes..pull your heads out of your ass.