Where To Send A Barrel Off To Be Refinished?

I have a brand new "old" barrel (never used) but it has a dull black finished.

I would like it to be a shiny black and since wishing it to change has not worked, it appears the item will have to be sent to someone to make it happen.

Also, the barrel is not smooth but rather a rough finish. If the finish could be modified to be smooth that would be great too, but if it could be changed to be rough but a shiny black I would be happy too.

Try putting a bit of oil on it and polishing lightly with an old piece of denim material. The guy I bought my gun from did thid with the Bridgeport drum.....took the loose oxide off by polishing lightly. Not super "Browning" shiny, but kinda "semi-gloss".

If you want it shinier, try a bit of Simichrome polish....

You were gonna send it off anyway, might as well try a couple things for free, right?

Good luck!

john http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif

On a related note, if you have a brand new Kahr and you wanted to make it look old, is it possible to simulate the 50 year old brownish patina like you see on the old parts kits? I can hear you guys laughing already.

QUOTE (JimFromFL @ May 3 2004, 07:33 AM)
I have a brand new "old" barrel (never used) but it has a dull black finished.

I would like it to be a shiny black and since wishing it to change has not worked, it appears the item will have to be sent to someone to make it happen.

Also, the barrel is not smooth but rather a rough finish. If the finish could be modified to be smooth that would be great too, but if it could be changed to be rough but a shiny black I would be happy too.

PK...

Jim,

I've got to go with the PK suggestion as well. My 28 spent some serious time holding its breath as a youth. When PK took it under his wing it came home with a great looking black finish applied. He obviously could not fix the pitting but you really don't even see it once the surface is consistant.

I can't picture what yours really looks like but if you're gonna box it up, I'd say go for the CO zip code.

FWIW. Good luck.

CJR

When I was shopping for a Thompson some years ago, I had a dealer try to sell me a beat up Bridgeport. His price seemed high at the tome and the gun looked like crap. He told me that he would have it Parkerized gray, then cover it with Cosmoline and bake it in for me. This, he assured me, would give me a wonderful patina and even the experts couldn't tell the gun from an original. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

I've stayed away from this Dealer ever since, not because the idea sounded bad, but the deception just didn't seem right to an old Boy Scout like me!! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/blink.gif

When I eventually bought the Thompson I own now, I knew it had been polished up and reblued. It looks OK, but I know exactly what is what with it. And the price was right, too!!

Caveat Emptor

john

QUOTE (john @ May 4 2004, 05:22 PM)
When I eventually bought the Thompson I own now, I knew it had been polished up and reblued. It looks OK, but I know exactly what is what with it. And the price was right, too!!

That means so much in the purchase of any firearm.

Mine was reblued with a new barrel. Exactly the way it was described and delivered as expected.

I wanted a shooter and thats what I got. Of course when the price is right, it helps too.