Savage 1928A1 on Gun Broker

Im no expert but it looks refinished to me, there are scores under the finish that I think shouldn't be there on an original finish. I was also looking at S473018 so almost 3000 units before the gunbroker gun and it has the simple 'L' back sight not the Lyman adjustable as the gunbroker gun has. Was there a set change over or was it random?

They will get a good price on this one, it's pretty.

Great looking gun, and I suppose it's not a totally ridiculous "buy it now" price, but I agree with m3bobby it looks refinished, I would not have expected that adjustable sight either and when did they go to the smooth barrel?

What about the witness marks on the side oh the barrel/receive- I didn't know they put these on military Thompson's .

Also- do the marks on the top of the barrel look correct?

I sure wood like to hear from Roscoe on this gun.

Certainly a nice piece!

I have to say I think it has been refinished. The barrel and receiver have an identical surface appearance which is strange to me as I would expect the barrel to be more "polished" than the receiver. The Cutts compensator looks to have been lightly blasted and just doesn't have the smoothness of even the Russian parts kits. The top side nose of the receiver on each side looks to have had light pitting too.

I feel like I'm being over critical but also agree with the above comments that this one most likely came with a smooth barrel and L sight.

I wouldn't kick her out of my safe but don't think this is an original finish survivor. Possibly a really nice piece that someone did a little prep to in spots, bead/soda blasting, maybe a little acid here or there and then into the DuLite tank. I like the numbers matching, transferable, etc but don't think it is a 28k Thompson.

TC

Edited by ThompsonCrazy

I agree, this is a nice gun, but it has been refinished. The finish is too perfect and uniform and there are

some small blemishes - a couple of nicks and scuffs on the receiver, and what looks like light pitting on the

top front corners of the receiver that have all been blued over. Also the swirl-like striations on the side of the

receiver from Blanchard grinding have been dulled. To me this gun was glass beaded then blued.

If it was a true original finish there would be variances in the finish from the receiver to the barrel to the

compensator, etc. All these parts have the "satin" look which is not correct. You'd also expect wear

marks on the top of the receiver from the actuator. The P on the barrel is not at true top dead center so

this barrel was either removed and put back on, or its from another gun or parts set. The wood does not match

and there is no way it is original but of course since wood is easily changed with a screw driver this is to

be expected.

This is an example of a gun that you should remove the grip from the trigger frame and look for

blued-over pitting. Also It is always a concern when the seller tries too hard and you get the long deluxe

story - owner a high ranking officer? Oh sure.

Nice gun but not worth $28K in my humble opinion.

Bob

I agree with Bob and what others have said, it just looks too good. I also found the seller's story in the second half of the description a bit over the top. If the gun was all original as claimed it would sell itself without having to dream up such a story. This guy is trying far too hard to make a sale.

I agree with everyone also. A Savage gun in that serial number range would have a smooth barrel and simple "L" Lyman sight. The gun has been rebuilt to look new. Someone did a nice job but I am of the opinion it is not original.

That write up is just pure nonsense but it will appeal to the "zero knowledge + fat wallet" buyers.

The problem with the write-up is that it's too long. Most people don't have enough reading comprehension to process all that writing.

I've found that the best thing is to have a lot of really nice pictures.

Amazing how much money people will spend without having a clue what they are buying.

Somebody will pay tip top dollar for that 28A1 and think he has a precious pristine collector item.

Are the "P" marks on the barrel always exactly 90 degrees from the index mark? I've seen a lot of barrels at this point, the markings or lack thereof seem pretty random.

Devil Dog 1110, on 10 Jul 2014 - 08:19, said:

Thanks guys- you just saved me a lot of money.

This gun may still be a good buy for someone if they can get it at the right price.

/

Absolutely

It's at 19K right now. Setting aside all the goofy BS in the write-up, that seems like a pretty good buy at that price.

A really minty and pretty looking west hurley will sell for $17K or so on gunbroker.

For $28,000 a person might luck out and buy one of the St. Louis police Colts.

But for $20,000 this Savage would be a great buy.

I've never heard anyone disparage a West Hurley, reworked by "PK", because it wasn't original and has non Numrich Arms parts.

This gun was reworked by someone who did very nice work.

Jim C

Ps considering the drums and pouches it would be a great buy at $21,000.

Edited by jim c 351

• 2 weeks later...

There are a lot of guys out there who don't care if a gun is $2000 too much or $4000 too much.

They just want the gun and they ran out of patience. Or they're rich and don't care about $4000.

And then of course there are the guys who don't understand the market.

Gunbroker is the way to find those guys.

The only reason I mention it is because it happens A LOT.

Also, a lot of gun collectors don't realize that good deals are actually kind of rare.

A lot of collectors who have lots of guns already will sort of just wait until a really good deal comes along.

That's a different perspective from the new guy who has been hunting for a particular gun for a year.

Edited by buzz

Newbie here. Taking my time, reading and learning.... and I was also shocked to see this gun go at that price. I was in for a while at "realistic" numbers... but now I'm thinking that realistic has no meaning any more :-)

Wish I'd have been in the market even as recently as a couple of years ago!

Anyway, this is an incredibly informative forum, and I thank you all for the education.

This gun sold for the Buy Now price of $28,000.

Somebody wanted it bad.

I did not watch the auction, so don't know if the amount was steadily increasing from several bidders

towards the buy now price. If it suddenly took a large jump at the last minute, could be the seller decided to pay the Gunbroker fee rather than let it sell at a lower price.

This gun sold for the Buy Now price of $28,000.

Somebody wanted it bad.

I did not watch the auction, so don't know if the amount was steadily increasing from several bidders

towards the buy now price. If it suddenly took a large jump at the last minute, could be the seller decided to pay the Gunbroker fee rather than let it sell at a lower price.

Mn shooter,

Here's how it went down.

There were 26 bids starting at $19,000.

amlevil3 A+18 made the 23rd bid at $24,000.

Then Jackcounty A+2078 bid $24,500.

At that point amlevil 3 A+18 hit the BUY NOW buttom.

So it would seem on the up and up.

Jim C

PS Gotta love a high roller.

Edited by jim c 351

Buzz what is that picture you use in your profile?

It freaks me out every time I see it!

/

It's just a little girl with a sly look on her face in front of a burning house, like she set the fire.

I just thought it was a funny picture

it was sort of making the rounds on the internet a few years ago

Edited by buzz