Braintease...savage Commercial 1928 Lend/lease?

i am going to test fire this gun this afternoon. i am only bringing 1 or 2 boxes of ammo. i really don't need to test fire it, but the dealer insists on showing me she works. i just want to put a down payment in his palms, so i can claim this baby!

will take pics and get them up asap.

thanks for everything guys!

Craig

PhilOhio,

Regarding George E. Goll's presence at the Savage plant; he was an Auto-Ordnance employee and since Auto-Ordnance was actually the company producing the guns, if not actually making them, they must have wanted a representative of the company on sight to approve the finished product. I don't have the information in front of me presently, but Auto-Ordnance had representatives at the Colt plant during the first production run of guns.

When large orders of guns came from Britain they were filled by the guns being produced at the time which were the Savage guns, prior to production at the Auto-Ordnance plant in Brifdeport, CT. Since George Goll was their inspector at the plant, his initials appear on the guns. Large orders were sent to Britain ordered directly from Auto-Ordnance prior to Lend-Lease, but certainly not all of the 1928 Models made by Savage prior to the military 1928A1 Model being standardized.

George Goll's inspection mark should appear on practically all Savage guns regardless of whether they were destined for military or civillian channels. Besides, while they were manufacturing them they wouldn't know where they were going to end up until the orders came in.

i shot the gun tonight. it shoots good. no stoppages. i took pics but they didn't come out! damn!!!!

anyhow, it has 12 patent dates. i did remember to look at that.

i shook on a deal to buy it tonight. he has the amnesty papers for it too. thats pretty neat.

PhilOhio,

As I have previously mentioned, my theory is that Goll was sent as an inspector to the Savage plant, not to Colt. I have never heard of Goll inspecting Colt; most of these seem to have been inspected by John H. Barett and stamped with an encircled JHB.

Baøder

I didn't mean to suggest the Goll was present at the Colt plant during production of the Colt guns. I do recall reading, I believe in Cox's or Hill's books, that someone from Auto-Ordnance was on sight during the production of the guns. It stands to reason that someone from the company producing the guns would be present during portions of the manufacturing, inspection or shipping process.

Sorry for any confusion I may have caused by my vague post.